Stroke Community
Why do I have tremors

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Why do I have tremors

Seven months ago I had double vision, severe headaches, balance issues, hand tremor, and dizziness. Now I have the tremor in my left hand, dizziness, and my left index gets numb sometimes. My left foot gets numb at times. When I hold a cup, type on the computer my hand shakes more. The tremor is worse if I am fatigued or cold. I have had an MRI, spinal tap, audiogram, test to make me dizzy, and so much blood work I can't count. I have seen 2 GPs, 1 ENT, and 3 neurologist. No one can come to a clear diagnosis.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

We usually encounter intention tremor and dizziness in certain neurological diseases affecting the cerebellum or its connections with the brainstem and spinal cord; but you have already consulted a neurologist and ruled out the possibility of cerebellar diseases. Once such a condition had been ruled out, the possibility of the tremor being a benign 'essential' one is to be considered. This so-called 'essential familial tremor' often runs in families and affects more than one member of the same family. It usually does not interfere with manual dexterity or skills such as writing. In extreme cases when it is quite severe and incapacitating, you may require drugs belonging to the class Beta blocker, such as propranolol, in doses of 20 to 40 mg twice a day. Please discuss this with your doctor, who rule out other conditions such as writer's cramp and to plan the best line of management for you.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.