Stroke Community
acid reflux? retching? after eating following stroke

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

I was wondering if anyone had come across the following:
My dad had a stroke last tuesday (left sided) and was sent home on the Thursday (not sure why) and eh had another one to the back of his head that afternoon. He is now in hospital and it would appear that both strokes were quite mild as his speech is improving daily as is his mobility. However he has a problem whereby after eating (any type of food, hot, cold, spicy, non spicy) within 5 minutes he will be retching violently and he says he feels as if his chest area is on fire and his throat is extremely painful. he keeps retching until he vomits or until he brings up quite a lot of phlegm. He will then continue to have what can only be described as episodes where his whole stomach seems to be "convulsing" as if he is going to vomit.

As you can imagine this is causing him so much distress as he is actually really hungry but everything he eats seems to come back up within minutes and causes him extreme pain.

Has anyone ever come across anything similar? The doctors are still not able to diagnose the problem.

Many thanks
I suffer from acid reflux GERD atleast thats what my countless hours of research on the internet led me to believe, lump in throat and bad breath. Three years ago I suffered a brain injury (left side) , hemorage of the brain which I had to be operated on. I'm 80% sure that my brain injury is somehow linked to my GERD because after my operation that's when my problem started. I wonder if anyone else is experiencing the same thing...
I think you're correct. My husband's doctors are ignoring that fact. I've observed his problems with digesting food. He is short of breath  with the GERD. He has a hernia. That's his greatest problem. ;The Mayo Clinic recognizes this fact.