Stroke Community
brain stem stroke in the pon

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

brain stem stroke in the pon

if you are paralyzed on both sides after a brain stem stroke is it permanent?
My Dad just had a severe pons stroke and is paralized on both sides and unable to talk. It happend three days ago and we are comminucating with him through blinking somewhat successfully. He has full cognitive ability and can hear, see, and process information effectively. I am also interested in what is possible. 90% of his ponds was damaged by the stroke.
My father also had a "pons" brain stem stroke on 29th Sept 2012. He had a tracheostomy for 1 month. Now a PEG feeding tube is inserted in his stomach for giving him liquid diet. Can swallow only 2 spoons water on his own. Full paralysis is there except for head/neck movement.

Want to know how improvement has been with you. Badly need inspiration. Please share your story with us because I found your case similar to my dad.
My cousin had a stroke three nights ago. The pons and the rest of the brain stem were heavily affected. The neurologist cannot operate since it's in a very delicate area of the brain. He moves and responds when I pinch him, but they are saying that it's only a neural response. He is unconscious and NOT in a coma. How long does it usually take for patient from suffered brain stem stroke to wake up?
Mae, my 80 year old Mom had a massive stroke to the pons on 10/7/14.  She was awake for a little while and then went to sleep and never woke up.  The doctors told us there was no hope... her stroke was massive.  She had a blood disorder and was in need of weekly/biweekly platlets and plasma... there was no way any of this could be done while she was in a state of unconsciousness.  She slept for 5 days without waking up before we took her home on hospice.  She died on 10/13/14.

How is your cousin doing?