bubble test
I posted this on a heart forum also, hope that's ok.  I had a stroke in September.In hospital, doctor performed a "bubble" test which he explained would show if I had a PFO> The ultrasouind probe was placed on an artey in my head and the test showd "conclusively" that i had a medium to large sized PFO said the doctor.

4 Weeks later. a second bubble test, this time with ultrasound probe on my chest, showed absolutely nothing, not a single buble so therefore they say no PFO. I also had TOE test at same time which they say showed no abnormalities. My question  is this: How can the tests show such different results in the space of a few eeks. I've been told a larghe PFO can't heal over in that time. Does anyone have any ideas how this could be. I'm thinking one of the tests may not have been carried out ptoperly?
There are other ways for the bubbles (or a clot) to get from your vein to your brain - any abnormal circulation that allows communication of the venous and arterial circulation.  One of the potential communications is a PFO, another is a pulmonary arteriovenous malformation (AVM). If you have a pulmonary AVM, that might explain how the bubbles placed in your vein showed up in your brain (on the transcranial doppler), but the echo performed on your heart with bubbles didn't show a PFO.