Stroke Community
head injury and brain bleed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

head injury and brain bleed

I was in a car accident where I suffered what I believe was a concussion.  I did not seek medical attention; I went to work after the police took the report.  I began to feel pain in the back of my head about 2 hours later.  This pain continued for a month. The pain felt like the back of my head was in a vice grip with someone tightening the screws on me.  As a teacher ending the school year, I did not take the time to seek attention putting my career before my health.  
By the last day of school, I could no longer take the pain and went to hospital emergency.  I was told I had blood on my brain.  I have been out of the hospital for 2.5 months and still suffering head aches, back aches, dizziness, off balance coordination, lack of sleep, emotional mood swings.  Is this normal?  Could the concussion have caused the brain bleed?

What you seemed to have is brain hemorrhage. A brain hemorrhage is a type of stroke. It's caused by an artery in the brain bursting and causing localized bleeding in the surrounding tissues. Injury is the most common cause of bleeding in the brain for those younger than age 50. Other than that, high blood pressure, aneurysm, blood vessel abnormality and Hemophilia and sickle cell anemia can also cause such hemorrhage in the brain.

Treatment for bleeding in the brain depends on the location, cause, and extent of the hemorrhage.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.