ileus after stroke
My father had a stroke on April 29 which affected his left side.  Since that time, he has had an ileus which has sent him to the hospital.  I see him get weaker everyday because he is not able to get up and move to help relieve the bowel.  His potassium remains low, and he keeps getting boluses of potassium.  Does anyone has any suggestions, or have they had the same problem?  We need help, and we need it fast.
Hello Dear,
The after effects of stroke include paralysis and ileus  is obstruction of the intestine due to paralysis. Most cases of postoperative ileus resolve with watchful waiting and supportive treatment. Patients should receive intravenous hydration. For patients with vomiting and distension, use of a nasogastric tube provides symptomatic relief.You should consult a gastroenterologist regarding this.
Best