Stroke Community
is it TIA?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

is it TIA?

I am 37 years old male. I am healthy. recently i was diagnosed with panic disorder. I have been to the er 3 times with panic like symptoms. they have done all kinds of blood work, stress test to rule out cardiac problems. Yesterday I was in my office and suddenly i couldn't see properly and could not focus. I became confused .my right hand felt a little weak. it was a strange feeling. I quickly went to my doctor and she did some physical examinations said it was not a stroke. I have a neck problem sustained at the gym some 6 months back. she said it could be due to my neck or silent migraine. my question is how do I know it was not a TIA? the vision in my right eye still does not feel right.could it be a panic attack? I am on remeron 30mg.
How does your doctor know it was not a TIA? You should have been sent for a CT scan or MRI of the brain. How is your blood pressure? Low blood pressure can also cause weakness. Have you done an Internet search on your medication? Sometimes medications can do some weird stuff to the body.
My Blood pressure is normal around 120/80. Sometimes it goes down because of the anti-depressant. When I have anxiety attacks it goes up to 170/100. But recently it has been hovering around 110/63.  My doctor attributes everything to anxiety these days.  I am really scared. I don't have a good insurance. I can't go to a neuro without my primary doctor's referral. I have been asking for a referral. Hopefully will get one soon.

I don't blame you for being scared because I think we all get scared especially when we have these symptoms. I went to the ER 3 weeks ago because of right side numbness. They did all sorts of tests - first CT scan of the brain and then an MRI of the brain. My doctor says it wasn't a stroke. I believe the only way they can tell if it was a stroke by doing an MRI on the brain. I have no idea what happened to me that day, but it happened 4 times and then all of a sudden it went away. A friend of the family said something about a panic attack and I thought she was nuts! Well, I did some research and a panic attack can cause numbness. That's weird. Anyway, maybe it was a panic attack I had, but it is so hard to believe because I've had them before and they were always the same - pounding racing heart and hard time breathing, but I had never had numbness with these attacks. Try not to worry too much - I know it is hard not to do, but worrying can make things worse. Send me a PM if you just need someone to talk to. I know how you feel.