Stroke Community
ischemic?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

ischemic?

I had a stroke in July2012. I recovered very quickly, was able to drive a 5-speed by Nov2012. 2 days ago, I had an overwhelming feeling that I was going to die. It started at 1:am, for some reason I had to have a bm. I continued to have a bm every hour, my mouth was salivating, which is unusually since I have Graves Disease I am always dry in my face area including eyes. My left eye wouldn't focus no matter how much I blinked or put my theradrops in. Other than that I started feeling like I was not in my head. I can't explain it any other way, sort of like when you are drunk and ready to sleep...that sensation. It was worse when I stood, so I tried to stay in bed as much as possible. By the time my husband came home 5:pm, I told him I needed to go to the hospital immediately something was terribly wrong with me. I thought I was having a stroke, I was under anesthesia when I had the one in July, so I don't know how you know. The hospital is 1/2 hour away, by the time we got there, I could feel my body on the left side getting stiff, and my saliva increased more. When we pulled in my husband dropped me off at the front door. I had a very hard time getting inside. I needed to lean on the wall. It took a few minutes for me to make it to the chair. When I finally did, a nurse came out, asked my name and I couldn't speak. My throat turned a warm spasm, and nothing came out. I could only nod my head. At this point tears started flowing as I got scared at what was happening. I tried to get into the wheelchair but my legs were too heavy to lift, I couldn't stand without the feel of falling. I still couldn't speak, my whole body became rigid and I had a hard time writing they kept saying calm down but I was, my tears and saliva wouldn't stop coming. They took a ct scan, and put me in waiting room. I was there for 3 1/2 hours before I got a massive headache on my right side, it must have lasted about 20 minutes when it left I spoke a sentence, a moment later and I stood. I left then, went to my own dr in the morning. He said I didn't have a stroke, but something happened. He said it might have been ischemic? Is this what happens? I am now on hb propranolol 80mg a day. With the 250mg aspirin I take every morning. Have you ever heard of this? And the stroke I had in July, I couldn't feel the floor with my right foot as soon as I recovered from a colonoscopy. The nurse had to lift my right leg into car. When I was in therapy, they kept yelling at me that I was not responding the right way. I couldn't feel the floor until Oct. I never had a stroke before I was responding to what was going on with my body. I don't know what else I could've done, I couldn't feel the floor and couldn't walk without a walker. Please explain this...thank you so much for your time.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms could be due to an entity called TIA or transient ischemic attack, which as the name indicates there is a temporary lack of blood flow to a particular part of the brain. This usually recovers, but these people are more prone for strokes. It could also be seizure activity, only an EEG (electroencephalogram) can help confirm this. This is done under the guidance of a neurologist. Discuss these options with your doctor when you happen to meet him next time.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you so much! Is there a dietary way to fix this. I understand food is the best medicine. I really appreciate your time in helping me.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

There is no specific diet to improve the blood supply. Diminished blood supply is usually due to atherosclerosis. Blood vessels are narrowed most commonly due to atherosclerosis, a disease where the 'fatty' material in the blood gets deposited in the walls of the blood vessels. Certain conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, smoking and sedentary lifestyle promote this.

So, controlling diabetes and hypertension and following good lifestyle measures can help control calcification. Regular exercise and avoiding fatty foods can help to increase the flow through the calcified arteries. Also, plavix is given, which is a blood thinner and helps to improve the blood flow. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.