lacunar infarct
Dear Dr. Rubin,

I had posted a question before, but I have another, based on an MRI report I recently received.  I'm a 26 year old male, otherwise healthy, and had an MRI with and without contrast performed.  The radiologist identified a "3 MM LACUNAR INFARCT IN THE RIGHT PUTAMEN" and he cited the Image in the report.  My neurologist reviewed the actual film and said "nonsense, there's no such thing there." The radiologist recommended, in the report, an MR angiography, but the neurologist believed the radiologist's assessment to be entirely incorrect.

If you could tell me what exactly a lacunar infarct (I know infarct is a stroke) is, I would appreciate it.  And is it easily identifiable? Or can it be overlooked or incorrectly assessed?

I know the scans don't lie, but someone here is not correct.  Based on the information I have provided, I would also like to know whether I should go see a radiologist or a neurologist for another opinion.