Stroke Community
left side ischemic strok
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

left side ischemic strok

My 54 year old mom had a left side ischemic stroke 2 months ago.  She's paralyzed on her right side and her speech abilities are gone.  She apparently understands most of what we tell her but she cannot speak.
She is undergoing physical therapy, speech therapy, Doman Therapy (Philadelphia Therapy), Furenstein Method and Neuronet Therapy.  Most of these therapies are used in children.  We are seeing some slow progress but we are very concerned with her speech therapy.  
We've read that since her language area is affected, speech therapy has to be approached in a different way, by stimulating the right side of her brain.  Does anyone know anything about this?  Which speech therapist in what hospital does anybody recommend so we can have her evaluated and we can implement a more efficient recovery plan?
I would greatly appreciate any advice.