mild stroke male age 85
my father suffered a mild stroke at age 85 we beleive he was hit by the stroke between 5 am and 7am was in hospital by between 730 am and 8am .this is a healthy man who does have a arythmia problem and stopped his meds which was metropolol. in hospital he did a nuero exam  came through with good results remembers all families first names and neices and girlfreinds all objects shown to him were correct .he has a slight to mild slur a touch of droopiness over left eye  with a paralysis to his left arm.on a good note he knows where he is. also that boston won 1 nothing and is going to the stanley cup .so my question would be with the right treatment would it be possible to recover his speach fully and some of his mobility in his left arm.this man is a stubborn mule who eats three meals a day still .plus desserts as often as possible.any insight would be appreciated.ty.staying positive.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

That is a difficult question to answer. First off, so-called "strokes" can be caused by either clots or bleeds. Sometimes you start with a clot, take anticoagulants and end up with a bleed. The etiology of the stroke is important. For example, a small stroke can be caused by simple dehydration. The human brain has great redundancy. In some cases memory is damaged. In other strokes only partial paralysis may be involved, which may disappear. As to whether or not the patient can be "just like they were", the answer is "probably not", however with a caveat. Some stroke patients do appear to have 100 percent recovery. And many regain a great deal of their abilities. If the "stroke" is stabilized, and there is no further bleeding or clotting I would remain optimistic. Good Luck with his therapy.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
ty for the response its been  4 days he has improved beyond doctors hope and ours .he is currently imoproving at an alarming rate. no more paralysis in left arm speach is at 75 percent and he is up and walking short strides with help from phsyio already back on soft solids and puree.have a great day and ty for your time
Hello brian and hope you are doing well.

Good to see he is improving. Encourage him for the physical therapy. Continue with the medications. And take care with any high risk factors he has like diabetes or hypertension. Wish him a speedy recovery.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.