Stroke Community
my grandmother
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

my grandmother

My grandmother had a stroke saturday.  we called 911.  Her whole left side was drooping.  When ambulance got here, my grandmother refused to go to the hospital.  Well, after ambulance left, she was talking to us and everything but her speech was still slurred and when she would try to move wheelchair she coudnt because she coudnt use her left hand at all.  Then she started saying she coundnt see and kept her eyes closed.  Finally, we took her to hospital ourselves.  Well, yesturday morning we went to visit her and she was asleep.  The nurse would speek to her and she would squeeze nurses hand with her right hand, and she would wiggle her toes.  But she would go right back to sleep, and she would not open her eyes at all.  Last night the neurologist spoke to us and he didnt sound very hopeful, and he said that theres a chance she may not wake up. He talked as if he was pretty much convenced that she won't wake up and that its not looking good at all.     My question:  Do most stroke victims have this happen to them, and do most of them not wake up???  I just dont understand cause she was so alert and talking to us the day of the stroke and then the day after nothing.