Stroke Community
my grandmother

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

my grandmother

My grandmother had a stroke saturday.  we called 911.  Her whole left side was drooping.  When ambulance got here, my grandmother refused to go to the hospital.  Well, after ambulance left, she was talking to us and everything but her speech was still slurred and when she would try to move wheelchair she coudnt because she coudnt use her left hand at all.  Then she started saying she coundnt see and kept her eyes closed.  Finally, we took her to hospital ourselves.  Well, yesturday morning we went to visit her and she was asleep.  The nurse would speek to her and she would squeeze nurses hand with her right hand, and she would wiggle her toes.  But she would go right back to sleep, and she would not open her eyes at all.  Last night the neurologist spoke to us and he didnt sound very hopeful, and he said that theres a chance she may not wake up. He talked as if he was pretty much convenced that she won't wake up and that its not looking good at all.     My question:  Do most stroke victims have this happen to them, and do most of them not wake up???  I just dont understand cause she was so alert and talking to us the day of the stroke and then the day after nothing.
You need to ask your neurologist what the damage diagnosis is  - What is dead and what the penumbra covers. I know he will say he can't do that but ask anyway, make him feel guilty about not even providing any basis  for his prognostication. What was done to relieve the stroke, clot busting drugs - tPA? or for bleeds - anything at all? when you first talked to her the stroke wasn't finished doing its damage. I am just a survivor so anything I say is not worth th e electrons being printed on