Stroke Community
new medical device for stroke patients

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

new medical device for stroke patients

I'm a grad student working on a new medical device for stroke patients. I'm working with several physicians and engineers to develop a portable handheld device that objectively evaluates whether the person is at risk for a stroke. If the person shows symptoms for a stroke, the device will recommend the person to go to the nearest ER to get treated. This device would be used several times a day for stroke survivors because they are at the highest risk for a subsequent stroke.

We want to make this device as user friendly as possible and want to obtain advice from stroke survivors about the following:
-how many times per day would you be willing to use this device?
-what should be included in this device to make it more valuable to you?
Any info would be appreciated; Thank you!
I can't even come close to figuring out how a device would tell you that you are  at risk for having a stroke. In my case being handheld would not be very useful since my left hand can't carry anything and my right hand is used for my cane. Since my stroke had absolutely no warning signs, no high BP, no headaches, just collapsed on floor, I doubt I would use or trust any device.