Stroke Community
physiotherapy post stroke

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

physiotherapy post stroke

Dear All,
        My mother had a clot in brain and a stroke as a consequence. She is not able to use her right hand and right leg. She is not able to speak properly as well. Local doctors suggested her for physiotherapy. But unfortunately we stay in a place where such facilities are not easily accessible. I plan to buy electric stimulator to try Electrotherapy. However I am confused with the options available and am lost. Can any one of you suggest what kind of equipment will be useful in this case.

Thanks.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, therapy for ischemic stroke is focused on improving blood supply to the brain and controlling high risk factors like diabetes and hypertension. In addition physiotherapy is needed for promoting recovery after stroke. Electrotherapy persay may not help. You can learn the exercises and she can do them at home and go for periodic review.  Please discuss this with your doctor he may recommend a physiotherapist near your place. Regards.
Yes, the doctor above is right.  Your mother does need physiotherapy.  There should be a facility in the town where you live. Find transportation to get your mother there.  And the doctor's suggestion for you to do the exercises with your mother is an excellent one. Good luck.