Stroke Community
post stroke

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

post stroke

I had a left side stroke 5 months ago. I am able to do  all adls, some more dificult than others. My left fingers areso very numb ,  also my left foot, but not as much as the fingers.  When I awake in the morning,  my leg and foot feel good, my hand is not as numb, until I get up/  Ihad an MRI 2 yrs ago that showed my cervical discs were bulging toward my spine, could this be part of the problem?  
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Good to see you are recovering well from stroke. Usually, the finer functions take longer and are more difficult to recover. The persisting numbness could be a residual effect of stroke, but it should improve with time. Ensure to see you are taking a balanced diet and if needed supplements as vitamin deficiencies can cause the numbness.

It could also be due to the spinal problems, but if it is due to this, you should have felt the numbness prior to the stroke as well. For ruling out the nerve compression you can have Nerve Conduction studies to evaluate the nerves. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I did have the numbness to my left arm and hand, which is why I had the MRI 2 yrs ago.  It is just that it has gotten so much worse, with the left fingers, esp. thumb and and forefinger pinching all the time, they are so numb.  
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Like I mentioned the persisting numbness could also be due to spinal problems. Have a repeat MRI to see if there is progression of the disease and also nerve conduction studies. Comparing these results with the previous studies will help to diagnose the cause for your numbness. Therapy for spinal disorders can be conservative (non operative) and surgical (operative) management. Non operative therapies are ultrasound application, spinal traction, transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation and spinal injections. So, please discuss this with your doctor, he may advise repeat tests.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.