recovery after massive stroke
My 59 year old (otherwise healthy) mother had a right side brain stroke two weeks ago. The DR. said it was prety massive on most of the right side, leaving her unable to move her left side.  She is able to talk, eat, drink, and able to answer any question. (still not completely normal in thinking and talking, but really close.)
She started a live-in rehab last thursday (3 days ago) and now can move her left leg some.  Stil no movement of the arm.  She does have the neglect of the left side. my question(s)
1.  How long does the brain swelling take to go completely away?
2.  Well the neglect she has get better?
3.  Well she be able to walk and move her arm, and if so how long with rehab will that take?
It does take a long time to make progress with the stroke affected side.  I went through months and months of PT.  At one point, I asked the physical therapist, how come when I'm working so hard, does it not improve much at all.  She said that it just takes a long time after a stroke.

Just have him focus on the progress that he has made.  He was probably a lot worse when he started.  Sorry to tell you, but I never got full use of my hand, arm or leg back, but remarkedly better than it was initially four years ago.  

Plus, it may help him to realize what might have been the disability or death.  You could find out to get a better perspective on it.  I was told 8 months after my stroke that if I hadn't been the age that I was AND if I hadn't had such an excellent circulatory system, that I would have been sitting at the neurologist's appointment paralyzed and not able to speak.  She showed me screen by screen on one of my scans, that as the one side of the brain was dying from no blood, the other side was sending up more and more blood.  It was a wake up call for me to be grateful considering what might have been.  

Still, I have my times when I get depressed about my disabilities, especially a 24/7 migraine that never leaves me.  It is difficult to adjust.

Also, there are very small changes for the better with stroke survivers as the years go by.  

Good luck with encouraging your husband.  A stroke is a very serious event.  Many die from it.
Hello Sara,

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement.   You are absolutely right.  He is much better than he was before.  I know that is what we have to focus on.  It is just hard.  However, he is amazing.  He just keeps working.  He is very strong mentally and very focused.  I am sorry about the migraines.  I am a migraine sufferer.  I have no idea how handle the constant pain.  I can definately see depression with that!  You have managed very well.  Your kind words and encouragement based on what you have to deal with really shows your strength!
How nice of you to give me such kind words. Strokes can certainly change your life, but it can still be worthwhile.  Your husband does sound amazing.  It must be especially hard for him having been so active before his stroke.  You sound like an excellent and caring wife for him.  I really wish the best for your husband.  And keep me posted in a few months about how he is doing.
Sara
what did they do about the bowel ob.
My sister-in-law had a massive stroke 7 days ago. She had part of her skull removed and place in her abdomen for safe keeping. She will not open her eyes and sleeps all the time. She has no movement on the left side. Could her vision on the left side be impaired as well? If you force her eyes open she can see
I am in the same situation right at this moment. My mother who is  86 y.o Had a stroke and I think we missed all her chasces of meaningful recovery because the doctors are not presenting things objectively based the survival of my mother but they are insinuating that she is dead because half of her brain had massive injury due to massive stroke. The doctor said, " if I remove half of your brain, are you going to live?"  and discouraged surgery.  On the fifth day my mother is still fighting  and the intensivist ask if he can call georgetown but during that time she was already presenting with anequal pupils. My question is, why did they discouraged us when she had all the chances. Base on this experience, I would say, go for surgery if it is an option . It is difficult to determine the extent of brain swelling during the first 3 to 5 days because of the swelling around the injury. It may not be as bad as it may appear in the CT scan. Health personnels including doctors and nurses are already sensitized and are always talking about comfort measures but this is equivalent to mercy killing or euthanasia. There may be prolonged recovery and in massive brain injury including stroke, it may take 3months for the brain swelling to completely subside.and it may take 3-6 month to see any improvement. Don't forget that the human brain has the ability to adapt and cells of the brain is capable of redirecting impulses to the functional parts of the brain to take over the cells that are injured (Plasticity of the human Brain). and most of all, humans has limitations but everything is possible with GOD. If GOD can bring the dead to life, then He can restore the functions of our body. Praise be to GOD for His is the Kingdom, the power and the glory.
how is he now?
My dad is 69 years old and in the ICU now, he suffered massive stroke. He cant move his right hand and leg and cant talk. He has tube for his breathing. The Dr said we have 2 options for him. Option 1 he will stay in the hospital and given medications until the swelling of his left brain will subside. Option 2 we need to have him brain surgery to remove the left brain that has been damaged and prevent it to go to the other side. My question is how much is the assurance that he will still alive and back to normal after the surgery? Anyone who has same experience, please enlighten us. We need your ideas.
It's good to try to get more info on this website.  But what have the doctors told you about the benefits and risks of both options?  If you take option 1 for now, will your father be eligible to have brain surgery later?  I believe that brain surgery always has risks, but maybe it is worth the risks.  You need to get more information.
Thanks sara12345 for your reply. Yes, we decided to go with the brain surgery because Option 1 and Option have the same negative effects. But at least in Option 2 we were trying still to save his life though its risky unlike in Option 2 that its just like we did nothing to him. Last night, he had his neurosurgery which took 4 hours. Its been 18 hours now that hes still not awaken. The Dr said, his vital signs are ok now but he had not regain yet his consciousness. My question is how long does it takes for him to regain his consciousness after 4 hours of brain surgery? Thank you.
I will be interested to know how your father does after the surgery.  It does sound like you made the right decision.  Really wish him the best.
Hi, he's still not awaken up to this very minute. The Dr. said the consciousness of the patient depends on his body resistance. SOme regain their consciosness in hours but others in weeks. Right now, he is still in the ICU and were still waiting him to regain his consciousness. We're praying and hoping that he will be ok soon.
Lynn,
I will also pray for him.  Hoping for the best for him.  
Sara
Thank you sis. Right now, in God's grace my dad has been released from icu to cvu(cardiovascular unit) for close monitoring still but his vital signs are quite stable now. He underwent tracheostomy to prevent pneumonia due to a long span use of ventilator. He cannot talk, his right leg and arm cant move still but he could understand and recognize us. We're looking forward to his total recovery and hopefully we could start therapy for him.
That's great that your dad recognizes and understands you.  Celebrate any progress that your dad makes, even if it's not a total recovery.  I didn't have a full recovery after my stroke at age 56, but you are grateful for everything that you get back--after the grief over what you've lost.   It's five years later for me and I am still very disabled.  I wish your dad the best.
Thanks sara12345, we are very thankful to God for his continuous help to my dad. How long does it took you to recover after the stroke? Did you had brain surgery and tracheostomy as well?
No, I didn't need surgery or a tracheostomy.  It took many months of physical therapy 3 to 5 days a week to get more function and to relieve very intense pain, but my body is still not functioning fully.  It took months of speech therapy to help me find words.  But it took several years to get my full speech back.  But I am severely disabled by 24/7 migraines caused by my stroke which are often severe and put me in bed for days at a time.  I can only do a little bit each day and must get at least 12 hours of sleep or the migraines get terrible.  Now that I'm on 4 medications, 25 Botox injections and nerve block and trigger point injections, I can function some and no longer have to go to the ER frequently.  I have a whole bunch of smaller things like no appetite and difficulty swallowing.  But I am very grateful that I am not still paralyzed and not barely able to speak.  

I am finally accepting of my condition--thanking God for what I do have and not agonizing over all of my many deficits.  Continuing to send you prayers for your father.
Thank you so much for giving us ideas about stroke and sharing with us here your experience. This is just a proof that stroke really change one's life but with God's help, eventually stroke victim as well as family members could cope and recover. We will just continue moving, have faith and keep on praying.
Lynn, Thanks for your comments.  I would be interested in how your father progresses in time when you feel like reporting anything.  Wish you all the best.  Sara
Hi, Just want to ask if you also had constipation (bloated), lots of hiccups and vomiting after the stroke? My father was discharge from the icu after 20 days of confinement. While at home, he usually have hiccups and vomit and everytime he vomits his BP fluctuates and he has difficulty in breathing. Aside from that, he has been constipated for 6 days. Were very worried thats why we decided to bring him back to the hospital and he's again confined in the icu because the initial findings of the doctor is infection though we are still waiting for the blood test result. Had you experience the same as my dad? Thanks
Sorry to hear about your father's effects.  I have been constipated ever since my stroke 4.5 years ago.  So I take Miralax every 2 days and Benefiber every day.  So then my bowels often go from too loose to constipation.  I do get hiccups about every night, but its clearly from my medications. If I get to it right away, it goes away with taking a bunch of small sips of water.  I did not experience a lot of vomiting--only when my severe migraines got worse.
Ok, thanks to you for all the info. May God bless us all.
You're so welcome.  Keep me posted about your father and how he is doing.  Yes to God's blessings.
My Grandmother is 84 years old, she had a stroke on March 19th 2013 Today is April 23rd 2013. The only thing she is able to do is sleep and sometimes swallow pureed foods/fruits/veggies/soup. She can no longer speak. We live in a country with poor healthcare where doctors are most likely to kill someone by giving them wrong medication. My grandma had her stroke when she had a high blood pressure. What medication does one take to improve someone in my grandma's condition? She is strong mentally and has many more years to live, just need to help her get her brain back on track, please share the information on what medications you or your loved ones were given and what diagnosis was it for...Thank you Everyone.
April 28th, my grandma started having difficulty breathing.She was rushed to somewhat of a "hospital CCU", "Doctors" seem to have able to get a look at her brain scan and we were told that her brain has shrunk. Not sure if it is because she is 84 years young or because of the stroke she had on March 19th. The only thing she can do is open her eyes and sometimes follow people with her look. She was perfectly functional(other than walking, she couldn't stand on her feet and walk farther than 10-15yards, but she could still crawl on all 4s) and she was taking vitamins and fish oil on regular basis and her thinking was sharp, but now all that is gone. She has taken Cerebrolisyn, Ceraxon and lucetam since the stroke, but none of that seem to have helped.
May 2nd. My grandma has passed away waiting and waiting and waiting for her favorite son. She came to me in my dream the day she died, she was smiling and happy, but then she slowly turned around and started walking on all 4s away from me. I was afraid that I knew what it ment. I did't come home in time to see her, something I will always regret not being able to fulfill her last wish to see me...I just thought I had 2 weeks to get my things together before I make this 24hour flight home, which will very well end up being where I'll stay for a while before getting back on track with the rest of my life, I was throwing everything away, my job, my stuff but I just needed lil bit longer just 2 more weeks. I wish I let it all go and got myself a ticket the day I found out about her stroke, because now that I didnt get to see her for the last time , the damage is so much more devastating than it would have been if I got to kiss her cheecks one last time.
I can understand how upset you are about losing your grandma before you could get there.  But I think that she did get her goodbye with you on the day that she died.  (I have my own reasons for believing that the loved ones who have left us, are still with us.  I know that others would disagree.)  It's unclear whether your grandma would have known that you were there from the way that you described her.  But I am absolutely sure that your grandma knew how very much you loved her, that your loving thoughts were with her, and that you were too far away to get to her.
My fiance had a massive stroke on the right side of his brain in September 2012. His stroke (as the doctors told us) was unique. He had an infection in his teeth that spread into his blood stream and festered in his sinus area (just behind the eyes & nose under his brain) causing swelling to his brain damaging his pituitary gland and leaving scar tissue under the entire base of his brain. The swelling also caused a pseudo aneurism behind his right ear (inoperable) that began to leak. In the 7 months of hospitalization and rehab the problems that caused the stroke were stabilized. He is now into his 5th month home. 2 months ago all the in-home rehab stopped but now we can't get to any outpatient therapy unless I (the only income because the state of Maryland says he's not disabled and keeps denying disability) take off work and this can't happen because we will lose our home. I am dismayed that this is the life that we have been given. I have no words to express how I feel about all this. His personality changed after the stroke and he tells me that I am the one that changed. His recovery has been slow. He can walk and feed himself but relies on assistance for everything else. I was sure I could do this but now his personality has changed and he is degrading and belittling in a way that I find offensive to me and others! How does I deal with being treated like it is my obligation to care for him REGARDLESS of how badly he speak to and treats me. Am I suppose to just eat my self-worth and sanity because I agreed that I would be in this til death do us part!? His attitude has me second guessing the ring that has been on my finger since May of 2012.
No, you don't owe him your life.  First of all, it seems odd that all in-home therapy has stopped and he cannot get disability, yet he can barely do anything. Is he capable of doing the exercises that were given to him during all his previous physical therapy?  Why can't he do more than walk and feed himself?  To be able to walk is major. I'm wondering if his psyche is so down and depressed that he has given up. Could you try to get him to take anti-depressants?  That could help his bad behavior and his lack of doing anything. Does he have any friends or family that could take him to therapy?  No you don't need to put up with his bad behavior. If he can't behave better, which he may not be able to since strokes can dramatically change people's personalities, my vote would be to cut loose. I hear it in your posting that you want to.  What good are you going to be to yourself or to him if you can't stand it?  I know it seems very difficult, but you never married him.  Some may fault you for it, but from what you say about your sanity suffering, I don't think that you have a choice. I would read him the riot act about getting on an anti-depressant, that he needs to behave better, or you are not going to put up with it.  And try to get someone else to take him to therapy. See if the physical therapy place has any transportation available.  Some do. If he learns to function better, he may get a better attitude.  Wish you well.
He is capable of doing the exercises on his own but says he's in too much pain from the muscle spasms in his leg. Again, he can dress himself but complains of pain doing that as well. He (in my opinion) finds it easier to have someone help him. He has tools given to him (and he was shown how to use them) to help him get dressed and undressed but resists to do so because of pain. The neurologist gave him muscle relaxers to help him out but he really hates taking medicine (which is a struggle to get him to take). Anti-depressants would be great if they weren't in pill form considering his aversion to taking medicine, plus, when he took them while in the hospital, they did very little to change his demeanor. People keep telling me maybe the stroke has him showing his true colors and now he feels no need to censor his true feelings and actions. I do love him and want to work things out but dealing with offensive racism is driving me away. He has driven off his family and friends willing to help by being overbearing and not caring who's feelings he hurts with his words. His mother (who is disabled) does all she can but she has no car and no way of truly helping him physically. I have considered counseling for us, individually and as a couple, but time constraints on the schedule are hard. I am sure through prayer and meditation I will find the way. Thanks for your words of encouragement.
Thank you for sharing this. I find it very helpful as my friend is in recovery.  
I am in the same situation with my 89 yr old mother. 4 days ago she had a massive stroke on the right side and is paralyzed n the left arm and leg. She had to have a feeding tube put in today as she cannot swallow. She talks with slurred speech but comprehends completely. Do not know if she has any type of vision at this time. Anyone have similar experiences?
My mom had a stroke on Mothers Day. She is 81. No movement on the right side even though she had the tpa within 4 hours. She can swallow a bit.She will give one word answers. Her rehab will end in two weeks. I hate to go the nursing home route. I wished she was home but I can't lift her. Until she can scoot her trunk and lift up herself, I fear back trouble. I keep hoping for improvement. This is in Lexington KY and the doctors there aren't into robotics.
If you're still around here, I'm wondering how are you doing?  To not even take medication is being very obstinate.  I hope that you are not staying in a destructive relationship if it still is one.  Wish you the best.
i had my stroke february 23rd 2013 and i can close my right hand but the opening part is the trickiest
My sister has had a massive stroke we didn't find her for almost 48 hours. She will not talk and has very little movement on her left side. I am not even sure if she knows where she is. She was talking a little but now she is not. Will this be a harder road since we didn't find her sooner?
cathyofone, i'm sorry to hear about your sister.  it's hard to say what would have happened if you found her sooner.  how is she doing now? is she at home?
I will like to talk to you by email, my father is going though the same as your father did. I need support. Please. Email ***@****
Is there any movement on the fingers now? Please let me know
My 67 yr old mom had a massive stroke on her right side of the brain 2 weeks ago, she is paralyzed on her left side. She is Pre-COPD, diabetic, high cholesterol, high BP She has had a lot of ups and downs in these past 2 weeks. She is on pureed food and clear liquids. Been eating not bad for lunch and dinner, but now won't eat and drinks very little. She complains of her head hurting really bad and her O2 went down last night to 74% she was cold/clammy all day and she is now on 2 1/2 to 3 liters of oxygen and also is receiving breathing treatments. We have also noticed her eyes were really blood shot now have a filmy/yellowy color. She has no movement in her left arm,hand and a smidgen of movement of her left foot and leg. Anyone else had this happen to them. This is so hard on my dad,sister and I.
Thanks katie24
My husband is 70 and had a pulmonary embolism leaving his left side lame, we had him in hospital within the hour, he has now been in rehab for seven weeks, his brain function is very good, slight forgetfulness in short term memory, but otherwise great, yet there is no movement in his left arm or leg at all, the physio lasts for about an hour and half a day five days per week, yet his hand is curling up and they are not opening it onto a splint or anything, they can't find any other problems, is this usual, the lame side to stay this long?
This is in reply to a post put on here almost 7 years ago by Iaaz who was shaming a young lady who was the YOUNGEST and had seven older brothers who said she wish she had never been born. Iaaz, I am glad you are such a saint as to never have had those type of feelings towards you parent but quiet frankly I am not buying it. Every caretaker I have known has had SOME negative feelings about the situation with their loved ones. If this young lady feels like her life was over maybe it's because at that point it was. I have cared long term for FOUR of my family members and have as of now been taking care of my mom for 18 months THIS TIME. I love my mother but can't stand her. She has been a control freak for my whole life and controlled me and my four siblings like we were her puppets. I left home at 17 because I couldn't take the mental games of guilt and manipulation that my mother used and still uses to this day. My mother had lung cancer in 2010. Three SMALL spots on her lung. My father was ate up with lung cancer at the same time but it had to be all about HER. She survived and had a MINOR stroke less than three weeks after her last chemo treatment which was caused by the chemo AND her smoking pot. She made a full recovery except slightly droopy lips and cant always tell when she has to pee. However, she went to bed and refused to get up. My dad died on hospice less than two months later because she had to be taken care of her way even when she didn't need it and he ignored his health because she made a big deal that he wasn't the one that was sick. HE was horribly ate up with cancer that had spread from his lungs to a tumor on his lower spine. He suffered horrible pain. After he died she went to bed like she was the only one who had suffered his loss with all the drama of Joan Crawford. Just like she did 30 years earlier when my grandmother died. She didn't console us, her five children, in any way. We had to console HER instead of all of us being there for each other.  It has now been FOUR YEARS and she STILL refuses to get up and do anything for herself. We have had home health send therapy out 8 different times and she will only do the exercises when they are here and will not do them any other time but expected us to lie and say she did. When I try to get her up to do them she will fight like hell and tell me what a sorry daughter I am. She also proceeds to tell me how much better off my ex is with his other ex wife and how it should have been me instead of my sister that died last year. I have ruptured disc in my back, arthritis really bad over my whole body and a bad SI joint. On top of that I need a hip replacement. My body is far worse than the spoiled woman who is laying in there calling herself my mother. I have begged crying on my knees for her to please do whats right for herself and me and get up to take care of herself. She got up and took care of herself for three days before she lost interest and put herself back to bed. Her exact words were 'Why? Why should I get up'. I loved my mother and got along with her my whole life till about 16 months ago when I started realizing how badly she uses everyone around her. I personally have tried to put my mother in a nursing home and if she would go willingly would have her there TOMORROW. She has made me her personal slave and the only time I told her she had to go into the rehab (the fourth time) and do well or I was moving out she told her home therapist that I was being abusive and could they get her out of here. Ironically, that Friday they put her willingly in the very rehab she was scheduled to go into the following Monday. Four days later she was calling begging to come home. 7 days later she told the nursing home she was leaving to come home period so they were about to allow her to get onto the senior transportation BY HERSELF with her stuff. I had to call the adult protective services lady that I personally had opened a case with against MY MOTHER last year because of her being physically and mentally abusive to ME. She told me if I ever tried to put her in a home she would make me pay and she almost did when she lied and told them I had been abusive. However, the members of the family who had caught her in lies about it before reported what they had seen and heard including the fact that she had lied to two of us before that my sister was being mean to her when my sister was taking care of her. I also had pictures of what she had done to me including kicking me, head butting me and busting my lip, slapping me, pulling my hair, and verbally abusing me. Now all of this being said. The post you responded to was a short post, who the heck in all your self righteousness do you think are to talk to someone else that way when you have no clue WHAT kind of relationship she has with her parent. We are just so very happy of your Dorothy in Oz relationship with your parent that meant so much to you but in real life not all relationships are like that and not all parents are good enough people to have those feelings about. Before you verbally bash someone who is going through one of their hardest times with what could be a horrible parent that they have been saddled with why don't you do something that is actually constructive and try to HELP instead of just running your mouth? I felt that the personality you displayed in your answer was FAR worse than any of those very real and true feelings that judi670 wrote about. The shame Iaaz is YOURS.
I can a image how hard it is. My mom is gone and  we (brother&sisters) took care of her until she passed. I now have a girl friend ex coworker who had a stroke just about a year ago I found out three days after it happen. She has a fiancé and three children and a sister. I have taken  her in my home to help her in her recovery. God and I have gotten her from incontinence to using the toliet to walking to talking. We still have a long way to go but I know God is able. You have to have faith and watch God move. Don't ever wish you weren't born. God knows you can handle this and he will give you uneducated to make it. God bless you and your mother.
I had a massive stroke brought on by a bike accident  every stroke is unique and every person will react differently the one thing I will say is never give up be supportive she will be fighting with herself depression is not good as the brain is saying I could do that before but the docs told my family If I made through through the night he night the best they should expect is me lying in bed staring at the cieling i2.5 years on back at work walking mainly with a stick but have managed to walk without rehab is for life after a stroke especially after a sever one I'm sad to say but stay strong the body can do amazing things as I've found out and just keep getting better
All the best for your family just try to stay strong and positive docs don't know everything I'm living proof of that
Hi woody came across your post. My husband had similar bike accident followed by 2 strokes a month ago. He is still in RHL. Would very much appreciate your advise if you don't mind call me on 00447799628880. Thanks. Rachel
my sister 51 years old has just had a stroke on new years day, was told its savere and it wouldn't have made any difference how long it took to get her to hospital the results would be the same........she lost her speech and all her right side.. shes very sleepy most of the time.....she responds to some things words... names etc but not much else......havnt seen any doctors as yet to get any idea of whats the ongoing prognosis... and advise would be helpful
hi . would just like to know how your sister is now. my mom 56 had a stroke almost 2 months ago and also her left side.she cannot move her right side and she isnt talking but can respond to questions with nodding yes or no. I know this is a old post abt a year ago but would like to know how she is and  progressing?  if u can , can u mail me and reply to the comment? ***@****
I read these comments last April 2015 when my husband, a 37 year old, suffered a massive right frontal lobe stroke due as an adverse reaction to blood thinners.  He had over 60cc of blood and had to have a hemicrainiectomy (sp).  For almost three months, he was in the ICU and then inpatient rehab.  He couldn't speak, he had left side paralysis, and major stroke damage to his brain from the intercerebral hemorrhage (ICH).  At around the three month point, he started to improve, and gradually, over the next 9 months, continued to improve.  He still has deficiets in organizing, memory, and impulsivity, but he was able to return to work full time and can drive a car.  Most miraculously, he is 90% of the man I married, and 95% a "normal" person.  He continues to work with a personal trainer a couple times a week and plays memory games.  I was told that there was less than a 10% chance of his surviving the surgery and his outlook at a "good" recovery was probably smaller.  But he was young, and the frontal lobes can withstand more loss because they don't control as many of the vital functions as other parts of the brain.  I wanted to post my story to give those of you hope that if your loved one isn't doing well month 1, that doesn't mean they won't be doing better month 11.  I found the book Stronger after Stroke by Peter Levine to be very helpful to my understanding.  Good luck to you all, this is a marathon, and I wish you all strength in enduring the race.
Same thing happend to my brother,he is 36 yrs old...can u pls contact me..im in singapore..006590737374..i need ur suggestions...thanx
i had a brain aneurysm following a stroke I was in the hospital for 3 months I'm 33 years of age female. it's hard for me to talk about this I still can't walk in going on month 8 I prefer to talk by phone if possible 6268077063 alexis thank u
My mother is suffering cerebral ayrophy since 6 days resulting right leg and arm gey paralyae she is talking well Cereton is given by Dr but no result is seen age 61yrs.pl tell how much time taken.
Hi my grandma 71 got a massive stroke and she can't move both of she's legs is that ok?