Stroke Community
recovery after massive stroke

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

recovery after massive stroke

My 59 year old (otherwise healthy) mother had a right side brain stroke two weeks ago. The DR. said it was prety massive on most of the right side, leaving her unable to move her left side.  She is able to talk, eat, drink, and able to answer any question. (still not completely normal in thinking and talking, but really close.)
She started a live-in rehab last thursday (3 days ago) and now can move her left leg some.  Stil no movement of the arm.  She does have the neglect of the left side. my question(s)
1.  How long does the brain swelling take to go completely away?
2.  Well the neglect she has get better?
3.  Well she be able to walk and move her arm, and if so how long with rehab will that take?
I am not a doctor.  I only know what I have been told in regards to my mother who had a massive stroke.  All strokes are different, all recoveries are different and depend on several factors.  I know this does not help much, but it is true.  The brain swelling depends on the size of the stroke and I believe it takes a few weeks, but best to ask the Dr. on that one.  Regarding the neglect, you can help this situation by making people approach her from her left side..also place her bed so she has to look to her left to see people enter the room..hold her left hand, tap on her left arm...try to make her aware of that side.  Re arm movement coming back...I have been told that the arm and hand movement is one of the last things to come back, due to the fact that it takes so much "brain power" for hand movements...she will probably walk first.  I hope these posts help you, it is very hard for the family and the stroke victim. Vicki
My father had a similar sounding stroke on Dec. 8, 2006.  He seemed pretty alert, spoke well, could swallow, etc.  His major problems were left side paralysis and double vision.
After about three weeks, he took his first steps and within 2 weeks of that was walking 40 feet with a walker.  He was not able to start moving his left hand until about 4 weeks in.  At that point, he could move all fingers and make a loose fist.
My mom is doing better.  She has been in a live-in rehab for 2 weeks.  She is walking with a hemiwalker and a Physical therapist about 20 feet now.  She can move her shoulder a little and the muscle in her upper arm are tighting.  She can push her arm out and pull it back on a table with OT.  Her leg is able to move her upper part and today she flexed her foot some (a little) With your father was the progress soooo slow?  And has anyone seen the paralysised arm move when the person yawed?  Her arm well raise up when she yawns....  Bad or good?  anyone know?
Very common.  Neither bad nor good, just reflexive.
You have to be very careful about having a bowel obstruction. The aides have to maintain both a daily hydration log and provide a daily bowel report. Abscence of a bowel movement for three consecutive days is grounds to go to general quarters. The biggest offender is cheese (unfortunately a favorite of my little 102 year old pal) and of the cheese offenders the inexpensive Kraft macaroni and cheese is the worst. It contains a chemical that causes it to harden, and it continues to harden in the gut and will not negotiate the turns in the intestine. In addition, stroke patients often have peristaltic and motility problems. These are the sequential muscular waves that drive waste through the passageways down to the rectum. She has a good chance of great improvement, proving the initial problem that caused the stroke is stabilized. Never give up hope.
My husband is 62 years old and had a massive stroke on Tuesday.  They were able to give him the medication within 3 hours.  He has been lucid from the begining,aware where he is, etc.  He also asks me about household things, like is this working, did you remember to do this, I am taking that as a good sign.  His sense of humor is back but his focus is unfocused when he looks at you.  Do they ever come back to who they were?  His left arm has no movement but his left leg does. His right side is okay, I guess I am asking, what am I in for, is this how he is going to be for the rest of his life, we have a 14 year old daughter, and it's breaking my heart to see her so upset about her dad. dina
Dina907, your husband was very fortunate to have reached the hospital when he did so the doctors could administer the tpa drug (if that's what they did).  It is so early in his recovery and you, your husband and your daughter have a lot to look forward to.  Although your husband isn't a spring chicken he's not all that old, either, and that will help his recovery.  You will be amazed at how he bounces back.  My husband (56 at the time) had a stroke last July and he has problems with his eyes. He has developed double vision. He, at first, was paralyzed on his left side but all that came back.  He's almost back to his old self.  

So, chin up and smile.  Although, no one knows the extent that your husband will recover you can be assured that he's on his way.  Make sure you find out what kind of stroke he's had (bleed or clot) and ask about deficits...what part of the brain was affected.

Keep posting about his recovery!
Dina,

My 65 year old father had a massive right sided stroke 7 weeks ago.  He too had total left sides paralysis, but all his mental faculties remained intact, save for slurred speech which improved in a few days.  He missed the 3 hour window for the TPA, unfortunately.

He is now 7-8 weeks out and just came home a week ago following 5.5 weeks in acute inpatient rehab and 4 days in the hospital.  He has PT, OT, and VNA coming into the house, my mother and 2 siblings (brother, 28, and sister, 21) live at home and are helping him.  He is now doing some walking with a hemi walker and assistance, but he is very unsteady and he fatigues quickly.  He needs help getting out of the chair and the bed to a standing position.  He is able to feed himself and use the urinal, but needs assistance and a walker to the commode for moving his bowels.
On a positive side, he can speak, is 100% mentally and cognitively, and is right handed and so write and feed himself.

He initially had no use of his left leg and some of that is coming back (when he walks he swings from his hip to bring his left leg out, and he wears a brace to prevent foot drop on his left lower leg), and he is just now this week slowly getting some function back in his left arm- though it's very limited.  He can move his left thumb a bit, and very gently squeeze my hand, and he can pull his arm back towards his body when it is moved away from his body.

His PT said that the flexor tone (muscles which pull the arm towards the core of his body, curl his fingers and wrist) come back before the extensor tone does (muscles that extend the fingers, and move the arm away from the body.)  It's important to do passive range of motion on his neglected arm to prevent the muscles from locking into painful contractures.  My father also wears a brace at night to keep his forearm and wrist in an extended position so it won't lock up flexed.  He wears a shoulder strap/sling to protect his left shoulder from the weight of the dead arm as well, as those shoulder muscles are fragile and not repairable if damaged.

At present my mother is having a wheelchair ramp built going into their house and has had a bed rail made for him and grab bars in the bedroom and bathroom, and the home health aide is supposed to come this week with OT and help get him into the shower.  It's a long process, and we still don't know how much function will come back.  His doctor said to expect a good 9 months before we start to get an idea.

You and your family are in my thoughts, I hope you will come back and up date us.
Stroke rehabilitation, or, in more optimistic terms, stroke recovery, is the process by which patients with disabling strokes undergo treatment to help them return to normal life as much as possible by regaining and relearning the skills of everyday living. It is multidisciplinary in that it involves a team with different skills working together to help the patient. These include nursing staff, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech and language therapy and usually a physician trained in rehabilitation medicine.
For most stroke patients, the rehabilitation process includes nursing, occupational therapy (OT), physical therapy (PT), therapeutic recreation (TR) and speech therapy (or speech language therapy, SLP). OT involves exercise and training to help the stroke patient relearn everyday activities, sometimes called the Activities of daily living (ADLs), such as eating and drinking, dressing, bathing, cooking, reading and writing, and toileting. Therapeutic recreation works on several areas including problem solving, improving movement and re-entry into the community through familiar, new, and adaptive leisure skills.
Stroke rehabilitation can last from a few days up to several months. Most return of function is seen in the first few days and weeks.
ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroke_recovery
Hope you find this information useful.
My husband (43) had a massive stroke on his left side 19 months ago. And he is walking with a cane and a walk gate now. But his fingers are not opening at all.

I'm afraid that he wont be able to ever move his fingers again. Do anyone out there seen stroke victims move their finger and open and close them after 19 months?

I also heard that what ever you get back after 2 years is what your left with?

We got the Saeboflex for the hand but no results yet on any finger movements.

Please tell me what might happen in the next 6 months.
Thanks,

Alene
My 62 year old mother had a right-sided massive stroke on May 9.  She will be getting out of rehab on June 20, only because insurance will not pay for anymore rehad.  My dad has talked to the insurance company about any extentions, but of course, they do not care that she will need probably another good 6 months of rehab.  Does anyone have any ideas of things my dad can apply for (besides disability) to help pay for additional rehab?  Thank you so much for your help!
I don't know what state you're in, but looks like medicaid should step in and help.  Also, you might be surprised at the help that is available through an "elder" attorney.  We recently found that my Mom is due veteran's benefits after her stroke due to my father's time in the service.
On June 22, 2008 my mother had a massive stroke, due to high blood pressure. She was awake and talking when she arrived to the hospital, now she is in a coma. Doctors are currently draining fluid from here brain, I was told this is a slow process and could take several days if not weeks. She responds to pain and at times responds to commands of myself and doctors. Has anyone had a similar experience, if so any advice will be truely appreciated. I am a only chid.
Hello.  I went through the same thing you did last year.  My husband had a stroke that happened because of uncontrolled blood pressure.  You can read all my posts to get the full story.  He was half comatosed when I got him to the hospital.  He had started stroking about 4 hours before I realized something was very wrong.  To make a long story short he came out of it with very little deficits.  His healing was truly a miracle.  He was in the hospital a total of 4 weeks and in rehab for 3 weeks.  He is now driving, taking care of himself and doing very well.  He is on total disability because he now has double vision.  Although, people that have hemorraghic strokes have a higher mortality rate than those that have clots, they often heal much better.  I can try to help you with many of your questions by sharing my experiences with you.  I know how you feel.  You're going to go through an array of emotions and you're going to get frustrated with doctors.  Just realize that if the doctor says "we don't know" they're right.  No one knows the extent that your mom will heal.  A lot of times they paint a glim picture but it may not be all that bad.  Keep in touch and let us know how she is progressing.  
My grandma, age 82, had a major stroke on her right brain, leaving her somewhat paralyzed on her left side. She stayed at the hospital for 1 week then was transferred to an acute rehab facility for 3 wks before she was discharged.  She currently can move her left leg but her left arm is still pretty weak but gradually getting better. Although she can move her leg she still is unable to stand straight (tend to lean her body to the left) and needs assistance with the hemi-walker and to the commode. My family and I are devastated to see her like this but we pray for her speedy recovery.  I just wanted to express my deepest sympathy to everyone with loved ones who are going through the same experience.  Just be supportive and shower them with love.  Believe in the power of miracles.  And never stop fighting.  
I keep reading about left sided paralyze but how about a right sided.  My mom was 60 years old when she suffered a massive stroke in 2001. She is not able to move her right arm and she drags her right foot when walking using a quad walker.  She can sing and say names when we ask her to, but not on her own.  Her memory is great but she can't talk. I am her only daughter and the youngest with seven brothers.  You can't imagine what I have to go through taking care of my mom.  In our culture, daughters have to care for their mom if she is disabled.  Sometimes I wish I wasn't born.  Any help will be great!
OH YES I CAN IMAGINE WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR MOTHER!!!!   MY Father had a massive stroke - paralyzed on right side.  Could not talk,walk, eat normal food, had to be pureed like a babies,  The doctor gave my Dad one month to live.  I am 51 yrs. old, I quit my job, made my living room into his bedroom as I have a 2 story home.  Decorated it with any and everything that was special to him.  I bathed him, cut his hair, exercised him, did therapy to help with his speech that was not there and the list goes on and on and on.   Well, that one month turned into 3 years. and I would not have changed it for the world.  Everyone would say yours life is passing you by and I would reply, I will still have time to spend with my children and grandkids but my Dad doe not.  SHAME ON YOU FOR SAYING THAT ABOUT YOUR MOTHER - wHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND - iF YOU ARE LUCK YOU TOO WILL GET OLD ONE DAY AND MAYBE YOU WILL HAVE A STROKE AND MAYBE YOU WILL BE PUT IN A NURSING HOME AND FORGOTTEN.  mY DAD WENT INTO A COMA fEBURARY 8, 2008 AND i SLEPT IN A RECLINER CHAIR FOR THAT WEEK HE WAS IN A COMA, i HELLD HIS HAND AND SPOKE TO HIM EVERY NIGHT EVEN THOUGHT HE WAS IN A COMA.  I never left his side, on Feburary 15, 2008  he past away holding my hand at 4:19 a.m.  TO this day I wish he was here to do it all over again and to get to tell him how much I love him and what a good Father he was to me.  I use to take him to parades which he loved, take him to the lake front and best of all I could make him laugh.  With all the love and care through the years I got my Dad to walk, lift his arm up and able to speak, not well, but I could understand him and is all that mattered.  In the end he would poop in his pants a coulple times a day, he would cry and say "put me in a nursing home"  and I would tell him Dad, we are in this together, together until the end, and we were and I am glad I was there for him.  SHAME, SHAME ON YOU SELFISH ONE. SHAME ON YOU, THAT IS ALL I CAN SAY. Do you think your Mother enjoys being this way and depending on someone that doesn't even want to take care of her.  She might have had a stroke but people can sense how a person feels just by their actions and the tone of their voice.   I'm glad i'm not your Mother!!!!!!!!
laaz, shame on you for being so hard on judi670.  She is hurting now and she doesn't need you telling her what a bad daughter you think she is.  Look at it from her point of view...she is the youngest, she is an only daughter and she has 7 older brothers, so she was probably overprotected or maybe after 7 years she's a bit burned out.  Some people, such as yourself, may be stronger than others but it's no reason to belittle them. She may not have the financial means to quit her job like you did or even hire a full time nurse to take care of her mom.  You don't know her situation so it's really unfair for you to judge her. I really think you owe her an apology.  I know this is none of my business but it is an open forum and I just had to comment.  

Judi, I keep wishing I could turn back the clock to a time before my husbands stroke but I can't.  You just have to make the best of it and do what you can to make your mom comfortable.  None of us wanted this to happen to our loved ones.  Many of us have a life that's very different now because of a stroke.  Don't give up.  Like they say, when you're thrown a lemon, make lemonade.  You are not alone.  I miss the way my life used to be before my husbands stroke but at least he is still here with me.  He's different and most of the time I feel like a caregiver instead of his wife.  When I start feeling sorry for myself I remind myself that it could be worse.  My husband could be a vegetable or even dead.  He is doing much better than some whose stroke wasn't as bad as his.  Your mom is walking and her memory is intact.  Those are blessings.  You must look on the positive side or the situation you're in can eat straight to your soul.  One thing laaz said that I do agree with is that your mom didn't ask for this and  I'm sure she wouldn't want you to have to take care of her.

Keep your chin up and I hope things get easier for you.  I really hope your mom will show more improvement.  It still is possible even after 7 years.

I took care of my Father, not a full time nurse.  I have sisters as well and we know how that goes as far as help - hands on help goes.  Sorry, I can't tell her I am sorry , as what I posted is exactly how I feel about this.  Everyone has a right to their own opinion and that was mine.   How can the people that are taking care of a loved one(?) feel sorry for themself? The one they should feel sorry for is the loved one with the stroke!!!  No judi670 is not hurting - she is complaining what a rotten life she has - she wishes she was dead, I bet her Mother wishes that she was the one that was dead.   I can't help being so stern or hard on people about this. If the roles were reversed, I bet her Mother would be caring for her without any complaining.            Laaz
On March 20, 2008, I suffered a bleeding massive stroke which led me into a coma and on life support with left-sided paralization. On the same day and time, I lost my Mother. Today, I am walking with assistance with the care of my daughter and boyfriend.  I believe they are tired as well and they let me know, but I thank God for them and my sons as well, they'll come if called.

Jud670, don't ever wish you weren't born.  I cared for my grandmother and my mom and I have 5 brothers.  Have you asked one of your brothers for assistance.  Some times boys/men want you to ask, instead of just volunteering.  If you believe in the power of prayer;  Pray for strength.

For myself, things are coming together and I would like to know if anyone has any knowledge on arm spasms of a frozen shoulder.  This is the main problem I am having at this time and my therapists can't figure it out.  I had to go over what happened when I had the stroke repeatedly for the information they received was incorrect, now it's corrected.  I've been told, they are unsure of how to treat me, because, I was suppose to be dead.  I'm getting use to this statement.  If anyone has information they would like to share, it would be greatly appreciated.
My husband's cousin is 42 years old she had a massive stroke she is nonresponsive, she seems like she may be developing pneumonia, they are telling us they have a schedule to suction her, what could be the prognosis, she has always had problems with her high blood pressure and she never stopped smoking.
All these posts left me speechless!  Take a breather everyone!  Lighten up!  All of our lives are HARD or we wouldn't be on this board!
hi, I'm an occupational therapist, I was working on a research on CVA patients in acute phase recently. about your questions I should say:
- in most patients I saw, the swelling was absorbed till 5 months but it is not a standard duration may it take more times for your mother because as u said she had a massive stroke
- the neglect is a common disorder in right hemisphere disorder which can not said to be completely solved but I think it can be improved in your case as the edema absorbs by the time but rehabilitation can take a great measure in this context by sensory stimulation.
- I have not seen your mum but I'm optimistic about her walking. physical therapy is really effective for gait training and most patients can walk again.
the points which u should pay attention are :
1- your mum is not so old. so the power of neuroplasticity  in the brain is high, specially if you stimulate it by practice
2- the first 6 months after stroke is the golden time for rehabilitation so do rehabilitation every day and regularly. it doesn't mean that after there is no result for rehabilitation, but this period is more important
3- don't forget that practice all the day I don't know how many houres do you practice a day but I always tell to my patients, the more practice, more result.
4- occupational therapy works on upper extrimity and their work on upper limb usually has more effects and the other point is that usually arm improves more slower than leg!
I am 43 years old and had a massive stroke on Oct1 2004. I also have seemingly uncrontrolled high blood pressure.No matter what meds I am on my reading is always high. My stroke almost unheard of came from my blood pressure and the stomach flu.I became very ill at work and a supervisor needed to drive me home. The stroke occurred from weakened caratod arteries from the high blood pressure with massive vomiting from the flu/bug. While vomiting hard it felt like I ruptured a tonsil. Then loss of vision, severe headache and crying from the pain. By the grace of god my spouse came home early and found me. He gave me 4 advil (and I don't get headaches) and stayed with me till I slept. When I woke I realized my right arm felt fine but was not working. I am a smoker and I burnt myself. Also vision was not right. I had white dots like someone just took a picrure with a flash. I could walk and was lucid mentally but when I tried to talk,what I wanted to say came out as jumbled spiratic words. He looked at me like I was nuts. Anyway I waited the wholw weekend and saw my Dr. Monday. Sent right for an MRI which immediately I was told to get to ER I had three blood clots on my brain. I didn't get the thre hour meds. But I recovered fairly quickly because of my age. The hand thing is always last to recover. I know this from my therapy and a very good friend who does home nursing. It is the last thing to come back. Never give up. Always encourage. Anything is possible. Where this is a will there is a way.
My mother is 80 and just had a stroke 5 days ago.  Unfortunately the dr. did not recognize her signs so she was not given any drugs for her stroke.  She walked into the hospital and now has no ability to move her left side.  She could move her right side after the stroke but the last couple of days she is saying her ability to do so is decreasing.  We are at a small hospital.  Do we get her out of here?  Is this in any way "normal"?  She has not really made any gains in the past five days.  She is also VERY tired constantly.  She can hardly stay awake for therapy.  Prior to her stroke she was very active and still working.  Can anyone help me?
Hi mountaingirl;
very glad to hear your recovery seems to be going well - it gives us all hope.  In your post, you commented that you recovered "fairly quickly" due to your age - may I ask about your recovery?  About how long and how much have you recovered?  My brother had massive left side ischemic stroke 2 mos ago and is recovering slowly but surely. Was too late for tpa but he's in a rehab hospital getting lots of therapy and is due to be discharged in 2 weeks.   He also has age on his side (49 yrs old) but I'm curious to know the experiences of younger stroke survivors.   I hope you continue to get stronger and stronger. It sounds like your spirits are good and that is wonderful.
Thanks.
My mother had a TIA 4 weeks ago.Come to find out she had a cararted artery on both sides .The left side was the one tht caused her to have her stroke.They did surgery and she came out of it fine a week later they were going to send her home that wed. or thur. Well late tues. evening she had a massive stroke on the left side.It sent he into sezures.It left her paralyzed on the right side of her body and left her with 3%of her mind left. I was not long maybee 4 days later she passed away from the stroke she had been in a coma. My mom was 74 years old.I would like to talk to anyone that has went through this . e-mail me at l.***@**** has been very hard for me to deal with I was with my mom since day one when she went in and I was holding her hand when she silently slipped away. I have cried eversince sept.24.SO if anyone could give me some words of comfort to deal with this I would appreciate it.Thank you Lisa
I don't think any mother would wish their child was dead instead of them. I'm sorry but that sounds could hearted to say to someone that has a family member tht is real sick.How would u like it is some one said I bet your mom wishes u were dead instead of her . Think about it i agree with pambam228 .How do you know judi670 is not hurting . You are not there to say . I grieve everyday because my mom passed away . I miss my mom alot she was my best friend.I agree I think you do owe her an appology. I too think it is none of my bussiness but like pambam228 says it is an open forum  god bless all
Does your mom have any brain trama.My mom was active before her stroke but hers took 97%of her mind . What ae they doing for your mom now is she getting any kind of meds like blood thiners or such. It is very hard to go through I can semphathize with u .Hang in there and I surly hope she gets better I will say a prayer for her.
If you and the other person that posted about wishing she was dead.(judi670)  I stated that I bet that her mother (the one with the stroke) wishes she was dead !!!!!! NOT wishing that her daughter was dead!!!!!!  Hello!!!!!        Where in the world did you come up with  "I don't think any mother would wish their child was dead instead of them".     Laaz
My dad had a stroke that left his right side paralyzed.  He can's speak and is eating pureed foods.  He has been in the hospital two weeks and has no movement on his right side.  He is 89 and looks so weak and fragile.  Now he got a cold in the hospital.  I am so worried for him.

Does age have anything to do with recovery?
my stepfather had a  massive stroke nov 5 or 7th of this year . i am scared for him. my situation is alot stiicken than most of you. unfortunatly he is in a correctional faclities. and their is sticken limits to be with him. as much as we wish. we dont know much about him we know it was a clot to his arties on his i belive right side he have heard one thing then another we heard he has brain trama but dont know how much of the brain is affected he is parolized on his right side. he can move his left foot and hand and can talk but a bit slured. was in a coma he had a treak because  of secreation in his lungs. he cant eat or drink so they have to feed him with a tube. since this has hapend we only gotton see him twice once for a hour and last time was not a visit day so they only gave us 5 min we used them 5 min wisely telling him how much we miss him love him andwere gonna do this with him and he is not alone.and letting them know how much they mean to u realy helps thir spirts. transportation is fanominal.  he has developed phemonia and has a machine to help him breath he is alert and we pray for him evrynight. and he is on our minds day in and day out. he is in a corectional rehabilitation hospital. and is closly supervised. we dont know much dose nay one know or been threw this to help us . my mom has power of atty for him. and his visits are scheduled as follows by the correctional hospital. so like i said it is strickened on out end and let me tell you it is awful to not be able 2 sit by their bed side when we cant do nothing about it. and realy want him to know how much we love him and carefor him and want him to be withus. and i wish i could take his place if i had to make a wish it would be to be able to be with him each and evry moment duringhis recovery and im holding my faith and praying that things will turn out for the best. dose any one know how i can go about this situation  please exscuse the miss spelling im worried and not sure if i miss spelled anything
I can only speak from my own experience, as I am not a medico or therapist.

I had my stroke nearly 12 months ago, a bad one, my entire left side of losing movement (but not sensation).

My leg & foot are more advanced than my arm, so I was able to walk (with walking stick) after a few weeks.  After a few months I could walk without stick.  It's still a work in progress, trying to maintain & improve the function that I have.

My arm was/is more stubborn.  It didn't move much for months, partly because of svere pain caused by spastic muscles.  But I continue to work hard on it & my hand/fingers.  I find upper limb work exhausting physically & mentally.

Regarding brain swelling, I was told it is more like months than weeks.  I recall having a decreased sense of awareness of what was going on around me for over 5 months & the it seemed to go away.

With all due respect to the medicos & others, I disagree regarding how long improvements go on for.  After nearly 12 months, I am still improving at a fairly decent rate.  In fact I don't think the rate of improvement has changed, it's just that the imrovements have become more subtle, ie not walking to walking & going up stairsone step at a time to going up leg over leg.

Time in official rehab may be weeks or months but you can & need to continue on by yourself afterwards.  If you don't try nothing will happen if you don't do things, you will never be able to.

So in summary, you can get better than you are now but you have to work at & put the effort in.

HTH

sue_in_oz
When your medical staff talks about recovery  they are referring to ADLs -Activities of Daily Living. You want to make sure that your therapists and doctors understand that  full recovery is your goal. You will have to fight with your HMO and insurance to keep getting therapy. The 6 month  to 1 year recovery is from the part of the brain that was knocked out from the stroke, Any part of the brain that completely died will need to use neuroplasticity to recover and that takes a long time and lots of mental ability. This part of recovery is wholly dependent on the patient themselves since they need to understand that they are retraining their brain.  Extreme fatigue is common you want to make sure that any prescriptions for general muscle relaxants like baclofen or Zanaflex are useful instead of being a sleepy hindrance to therapy. There is much more to tell but the National Stroke Association or the American Stroke Association should have brochures describing all this if they were doing their job. Call NSA 1 - 800 - 787 - 6537
ASA 1-888-478-7653
My grandmother had a massive stroke on the right side of the brain, left side is not functional, and at the time of her arrival at teh hospital , she had pneumonia, developed UTI, and fell on her shoulder and torn it when she fell. One week later she went into a coma state, came out of it and is even worse. after the first stroke she was alert able to slur talk focus on you. After the other strokes occured she can be awake look at you a few head knods yes and no to answer questions accurately and squeeze your hand very tight on one side. she is currently at a rehab center get all therapy done. she is on a feeding tube they really have not done anything with swallowing ( cause i not sure if she can) but when her mouth is closed she will swallow siliva. She has only said a few words "am i getting better" and when we state that she is she replies " I hope so" and she said " Happy new year " a few days ago. If anyone can give some insight to this situation feel free, i have been researching strokes but first hand experience is always the best thanks a lot!
My 49 yr. old husband just had a massive stroke. He can't talk, can't swallow, and his left side has no movement.  Can anyone PLEASE tell me if they've had these symptoms and come through them, and how long it took?

Thanks, mlt

Sorry to hear about your hubby ;(  Hope is doing OK at the moment.  Please refer to my post a few up from hear.  I also had/have problems swallowing & speaking due to facial & oral muscle paralysis & weakness.  They to get better with time & practice.  I noticed a change after about 7-8 months.

As I said there is hope but you have to do the work.

HTH

Sue
My 54 year old brother just had a massive stroke a week ago.  He was care flighted to a trauma facility that specializes in patients that were as critical as him.  He is currently in a comma, has developed pneumonia and is running a high fever.  He is on life support and a couple of times has shown movement on his left foot and right eye lid.  I'm not sure if the movement is reflexes or if there is actual brain stimulation.  Can anyone give me some hope if there love one experience some of these symptoms and came out of the coma and what were the ending results. Anything you can share would lift a tremendous load off of my heart.

Thank you and God Bless
Mamie0212
My 31 year old uncle just had a massive stroke two days ago brought on by extremely high blood pressure.  Like ella0510s' brother, he is in a coma, on a respirator and his not responsive to verbal commands.  Also, there is muscle movement in both the left arm and leg; however, it is not certain that the movement is brought on by brain activity or reaction to the doctors pinching.  Does anyone out there know anything about the a prognosis; as of right now, it is very bleek and assessed that he will remain in a vegetative state for the rest of life.  Please, someone who has experience in a situation like this, share some information, bring some hope.  Also like ella0510, it will bring a tremendous load off my heart.  Thank you all for your experiences, they are moving and hopeful.  Best of luck and god bless,

SPC Acosta
I am in the ssame situation. my mother is 48, she had a massive stroke feb. 21, 2009. and i have been here at the hospital everyday. wel she is in the same state. she in unresponsive, feeding tube, respirator. and only moves to pain. well they said that is a reflex. and most of the damage in her brain is the right side. well after all the testing almost everyother day, nothing was changin.so if she came out of it she would be on a respirator, basically the same way she is now just laying in a bed.she has moved her legs and arms, she opened her eyes, but they said that is just a reflex. everything she did seems to be a reflex. her pupils are tiny. well after meeting with the dr. a few days ago. they said that there is nothing they can do. she would be in this deep coma and not come out of it with the substantial amount of brain damage. well last night we finally decided it would be best to take her off everything and just let her go. it was the hardest decision ever. so I layed by her side last night. and well she is still breathing on her own, its been almost 24 hours. but thats because she had a healty hheart. but evrything else has gone. so now we sit by her side waitng for he to go. they say she isnt feeling pain, her brain actually had more swelling, she had developed phneumonia also. so she coughs, yawns, reacted to pain, but once again its reflexes. well i hope this helped a bit. because i came on here to read up on massive strokes. and i read your and almost sounds like what went through.
also i forgot she runs high fevers, so they have to regulate them everyday. because the blood clot that went to her brain actually affected the part of the brain that regulates your temp., and body movement
I would hold out hope, my dad was in a coma for 3 weeks and he finally came out of it, he did come out of it very slowly.  Some movements are reflexive but its important to look for movements that may not be.  Like Dart_Winyan's mom, my dad went through the same things including the high fevers but he came out of it, everyone is different.  He started moving his arm and leg on the unaffected side and he began to have very minimal movement in his weaker leg, but these were all positive improvements.  Just keep watching, hoping and praying.
Well, i just want to thank you both very much sharing your own personal experience, i know that it is very difficult.  My uncle just underwent brain surgery to remove a large portion of his skull to counter the massive swelling.  The Doctors said that this surgery will have nothing to do with the overall outcome and wellbeing of my uncle, they are just trying to relieve the pressure.  As of now, there is no new prognosis, everything still looks bleek and the possibility of recovery is slim to none.  Before the surgery, his eyes dialated and he lost complete movement of his left side of his body, basically, he was completely brain dead, in a vegatative state. My family is fairing as best as they can, but as you all can imagine it is very difficult.  I want to thank those who have posted in response to my first post, it was very hopeful.  I read them out loud to my family and they are grateful for personal situations recently shared.   We are some relieved of the possible prognosis, as of right now, i think its 50/50.  We appreciate everything, thanks for sharing, we thank you so very much.  As the situation progresses, i will continue to post new blogs.  I pray for those in this situation, I pray for those who have had successes and continue to struggle.  My family and I wish the very best to all families and victims of massive strokes, god bless us all.

SPC Acosta
I am so sad. My 34 year old cousin had a stroke one day ago. One side of  her bocy is paralized and she can't speak. I can't believe it! She was very active and in fact, was at the gym when she fell down. I live far away from her and I don't know the details, but I am so scared for her right now.

Is it possible for someone to become un-paralyzed when they have a stroke? Is it a bad sign that she can't talk?

I am in such disbelief this could happen to someone so young.
My 47 year old husband had a stroke on 17 09 2008.My intire world changed that day.He was in a coma for 8 days.After spending 4 months in rehab he is home today.He will never walk again as his right side is lame.This positive man leads a normal life in a wheelchair.He is still a loving father and husband and even as we speak a langue only us understand[lol] we are one special family -my daugter calls it rehab langue.Recovery is ongoing, love and care never stop as it needs to be endless.My message to loved ones of stroke victims is to never as in NEVER give up hope and love them more than you think that was ever possible.My husband re-discovered his inner child and have a stuffed animal that give him comfort and his family something to smile about.GOD bless                  
i took care of my mom from age 69 until she died at age 77.  I had 3 brothers but they all had families and were limited in what they culd do. I am glad I was there to change her diapers, clean her and all the rest after her stroke but towards the end I ws just like you, exhausted and I cried out to God and said, "When will it be my turn. I am so  tired . Everytime I went out it was with her in a wheelchair. The very next day she developed pneumonia, was overdosed with meds and died within 3 days.  I cried and told God I didn't mean it. Please let her live. But God in His mercy knew how much I could take. i wish you well Laaz. Noone can know how hard it is until they  have ben through it.  
My 58 yr old brother had sugery to have 2 stints put in. He never come to, after the surgery. The Drs is saying he had at least 2 strokes. My Q is is there anyone that can tell me how long do you wait, he is in a coma, how do I know if he will ever come around.Please anyone that has gone through this, let me know what the out come was. THANK YOU.
i suffereda brain aneurysm followed by a masiivestroke almost 3 years ago upper left side paralyzed has anyone recoverred movement in hand and fingers after 3 years otherwise i'm pretty normal had to have bone flap removed from my skull  emergency craniotomy due to excessive brain swelling?
did any body have a stroke and in recovery did the person just start talking to them selfs like someone there. she says she does not here voices though
My mom had a massice stroke about a month ago. She was in a coma for 3weeks!! She woke up about a week ago. The damage was done on the right side of the brain, so one would think that the left side would be paralyzed. Well thats at least what the DR thought... when she woke up she was moving her left side like none other... but the right side remained unmoved. She moves it when you tell her to. And she is now getting a little range of motion with her left arm. She can squeeze things with boths hands and wiggle her toes. You can tell that her muscles are working very hard to get strong because when she moves she is shaking. She opens her mouth anzd sticks her tongue out on command. For the most part she lies in the bed and watches tv. It has been a month. She cannot talk, does anyone know how long it takes for speech to come back???
My dad 77 had a severe stroke on good friday (it will never be a good friday again for us). he was given lysis within 3 hours, its mostly used for heart attacks but the last 2-3 years has been used for strokes too. It thins the blood, disperses clots but carries a risk as it can cause a bleed and while it helps the majority it makes things worse for around 5% of people.
It takes 24hours but the following day the ct scan showed a bleed. Dad had responded initially but got worse and stopped responding. By the 3rd day we thought he was finished. Despite taking pneumonia the anit-biotics seemed to work and he stabilised and improved very slighty each day.

Its 2 weeks today and yesterday was his best day yet with his eyes open most of the day and trying to talk. Its very hard to understand him but you can make out the odd word or phrase, its his left side but he can move both legs and his right arm well but not his left although he has moved it very slightly from time to time. he has lost his swallow though which is a major worry and wont keep the ng tube in. What i would say to you is never give up hope, it took an old woman at the hosp whose husband had a massive haemorrage and 4 strokes to give me some hope back at a time i had lost it. now i feel bad for having that despair but my hope gets stronger.

This has been the worst 2 weeks of our lives but hes hanging in there and getting stronger. The body needs to shut down and try to repair itself, so dont despair if they are unconscious or asleep a lot, just wait and stay strong for them.

Never overweight, never had high blood pressure or colesterol, healthy heart but smoked 40 a day for 50 years and liked his whiskey. Take it from me dont ever smoke! whiskey is fine...in moderation!

If anyone can give me an idea on the swallow and if it will return i would be very grateful.

thanks
steven
Strokes are terrible because nobody knows how they will come out of it.  My father had a massive left brain stroke.  They did 2 or 3 clot busters and kept him with no help to his breathing for 3 days when the started assisting him with his breathing via respirator.  Apparently he was resuciated once before his family saw him.  He could initiate his own breaths and was like this for 1 month.  They have since done a trachesostomy and he is on a PEG feeding tube.  He is now awake put they call it a persistant vegitatative state.  We dont' know what to do from here.  Doctors keeps saying this is the best he may be.  We are thinking about palliative care now because our father would not want to be like this but what if he can get better?  He opens his eyes and can follow a person around the room, but does not respond to pain much or to questions or anything.  Just sometimes squeezes his eyes really tight and screws up his face.  He has one really bad bed sore and some other smaller ones even though they have him on a  special mattress.  The whole thing seems helpless.  How can you watch a loved one this way, it is seeming almost inhumane.  I just hope he is not aware of what is going on at all that would be the worst of of all.
Hi everyone, can anyone help me PLEASE? My dad (age 52) had hist first stroke 4 months ago and it left his left side weakened and his left eye blind. He was walking alright with a cane. Then a month ago he had a 2nd stroke. He did not get tpa because it was out of the 3 hour window. The 2nd stroke left his motor functions disabled. Now he can only look at us and move his lips. The doctor yesterday said he will stay that way permanently because the blood vessel or something back of his brain did not grow around the blocked area. Is there anyway I can get him to heal again? I move his arms and legs like he wants me to but I am very sad. Hes the only person in my family who has a job. Me and my little brother go to school and my mom is a babysitter. She stays home and cook. We pay rent, bills, loans, etc. What should I do? We have no source of income.

--Al

--Al
my father had a massive hamerohagic stroke on 29 th december 2009 in the left hemisphere of the brain...though he recovered from paralysis he is suffering from aphasia..ur mom's problem appears to be similar with my father's..plsss help me out in this...plss mail me on ***@**** or contact me on 09975609158..u would be of great help..
plss anyone mail me on ***@****
my father is just repeating just the same 2 words again and again..his understanding skills have not been affected but his writing skills have been affected to a considerable extent..it's extremely frustrating for him of his inability 2 communicate..and he is the only bread winner of our family..plss help me out in some way..he is 48
I feel really sorry for my nona she had a stroke today i need desprete advise please please anybody help me and my family.i can't stop thinking about my nona (grandmother). she is not in the usa she is in peru. she was found throwing up with only half of her body. she has no idea who i am. which hurts me i am only 10 years old i am very depressed.
my ex husband just had a stroke on friday.  he was found on the floor unconscious.  he was taken to the hospital where he's been on a resperator since and is not awake.  he has not been sedated at all, he just has never woken up as of yet.  he is not brain dead but they said he suffered a massive stroke and he also is not paralyzed but he cannot move because the part of his brain that is damaged the worst is the part that tells you who you are and what you are...where you are...and everything about you...it also is the part that controls your motor skills tells you what part to move and when..they said he will never be the same man, IF he ever wakes up, that he was the day before this happened to him. he does have a do not recessitate order so i'm guessing pretty soon the tubes will have to be removed.  they said he might breathe on his own for a few minutes but should have a trake put into his neck.  im truly sorry that this happened to him and i only wished i believed in miracles for him...but....this sounds more severe than what i've been reading and i think this might be it for him.  nobody deserves to have these things happen to them..life can be so cruel to innocent people..as with all of you above...it's awful.. i really don't want to believe that this is it for him..but i've seen him a few times and there is no change at all.  
I DONT KNOW HOW LONG IT TAKES BUT I HAD MY STROKE IN JUN OF 09 NOW ITS MAY I CAN WALK WITH A CAINE I CAN EAT BREATH ONON MY OWN I STILL HAVE NO MOVEMENT ON LEFT HAND AND ARM I CAN MOV SHOULDER SOME BUT NOTHINGBIG I AM WONDERING WHAT DOES IT FEEL LIKE WHEN IT DOES COME BACK
EMAIL ME @ORLANDO.***@****
Hi everyone my husband 56 yrs old had astroke april7,2010 left side parlazed he can move left hand uncontollable he can't walk speech is fine I regret putting him in a nursing home but I'm not able to care for I have three young children it's been almost thre monthes since the stroke will he gain any mobility on the left side
i had a stoke in may of 08 age of 44 .My speech was effected . Everything else work fine.  I am back to work full time. My speech is a lot better ,but not like it was before the stoke. I went to speech therap. If you were like me how did you get your speech back.its been 2 years now.and i want my life back like it was or close to it before all this happen.
DO YOU GUYS POST TO THIS SITE ANYMORE
It would be better if you start a new topic with the question you have, rather than asking questions in someones else topic. It is a lot easier to find and comment on then.
My dad is 76 and had a massive stroke to the left side of his brain, after the stroke he was in the hospital for 5 days and sent to acute rehab. He was there for 4 days and developed severe aspiration pnemonia (pneumonia) and was put in ICU for 3 or 4 days and then in a regular room for about another 8 days, then Humana woud not approve him for acute rehab and sent him to a su acute rehab/nursing home where he was for 6 days. After his 4th day there he was in uncontrollable pain they would not give him the pain meds he desperately needed, plus he quit eating and drinking very litte and thrushed around his bed in pain for 2 1/2 days until we told them to call an ambulance. When he arrived at the hospital he was severely dehydrated and had pnemonia (pneumonia) again, plus a UTI (needless to say that nursing home will be sued) but my dad was talking and communicating up until the last 2 1/2 days he spent in that hell hole. Now they having him medicated and he can't seem to communicate and looks like he is not there when you look in his eyes. He did not suffer another stroke, will he ever be responsive agaiin and be able to talk?
My mother is 55 yrs and had a severe stroke on 31 July.Left part of her brain was operated.She is diabetic and hig blood pressure. Doctor has detected anorrysm on left side of her brain.She is on ventilator since last 15 days.She is unconcious and no movement of her body parts.
Is there any scope of recovery?
I am here to say,how great that, the earth still have wonderful people,as Laaz.I wish it was more and the world would be better place.i can not say anything ,but'' adore you'',for who You are.You are great example to anyone.i have same situation in family,but it is husband's brother,who had massive stroke and doctor was not optimistic at all,sais he is not gonna make it trought night.he is still alive, like 3 days.they unpluged him from the life support machine.i just wanted say that ,You are have Big Heart and You are Hero to me .thank you for that.i dont have any family here in USA,but sure i remember how great it is to have somebody  ,like you by my side.what about that person Judi670,with all respect,seems like too self centered girl,hope she will learn with time from people ,like Laaz. Not so sure if world would still have them by then.The best for your Granny and just love Her.Love it is a big thing.    
My mum, 74 years old, suffered a major stroke on the left side of her brain as I was flying over from Australia to visit her and my dad in the US. That was 1 month ago, and she has gone from being nearly unconscious and unable to move at all or speak, to sitting up on the side of her bed, standing with the help of a brace, and talking incessantly (although the aphasia turns her speaking into word jumble).
I've been with her every day, but unfortunately have to return to Australia in 2 weeks time. I'm very sad about leaving, but after having read the posts on the forum, I've been given a renewed faith that there is a good chance she will recover somewhat, and that when I see her in a few months time, that she may be slightly back to the person she was before the stroke. Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories.
My father 63yrs old suffered a massive stroke during by pass surgery (2 grafts). After the surgery it took him 3 days to open his eyes. He does not respond to anything only opens his eyes occasionally and moves his left arm over his belly. They did a tracheostomy to help him breathe and is being fed through a rice tube through his nose. His heart, lungs, kidneys etc are doing fine. The CT scan shows his left hemisphere has multiple massive infarcts (no bleeding or hemorrhage) and his right hemisphere has a few infarcts. It's been 10 days and we see no improvement other than him yawning or moving his eye balls. Can someone tell us if they had a similar experience and how long it took to recover or if there is any hope for my father. What medications are administered for infarcts? We are living a nightmare any help would be much appreciated. PLEASE REPLY.
MY MOM HAD A MASSIVE STROKE IT EFFECTED THE LEFT SIDE OF HER BRAIN. I SEE ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE RIGHT SIDE DAMAGE IS THE LEFT SIDE UNCOMMON?
My 63 year old husband suffered a stroke three weeks ago after surgery for prostrate cancer. He had been taken off aspirin before the surgery, but he took the aspirin to control arterial fib. Without aspirin, a clot formed and went to his brain. Now he is unable to move his right side and his speech is slurred. He cannot sit or stand, and he just spends most of his day sleeping. He is my best friend in the whole world, and I feel so shut out of his life. It breaks my heart to see this wonderful person who was so active now just lying in bed. I suppose like all of the rest of the postings I am wondering how long, but I know each individual case is different. My husband worked with disabled persons, and he more than once made the comment "no stroke! anything but a stroke!" because it is so life-changing. I believe with all my heart that God works miracles, so we are waiting to see what miracles will be performed. I know that this whole experience has made me realize how much I love and treasure him.
Dad was rushed to the hospital on new year’s eve 12/31/2010 because he was breathing really hard. He almost died right in front of our eyes. The following day he did not regain consciousness. They had to immediately  place my dad in Dialysis because both his Kidneys failed.  For some reason my dad was not waking up, so the doctors did a MRI and found that he had multiple strokes on both sides of the brain. For a couple of days he had no response, and then he finally opened his eyes, but he just have a blank stare. The doctors said he had a 50/50 chance. Yesterday we went to the hospital and my dad raised his arm up, but still had a blank stare on his face and when you touch his arm, he would make a face. Does this mean he’s coming back to us? Or are these just reflexes like the last post said?   This experience has changed my life forever... A lot of these posts give me hope.
i am 23, i had a stroke on the left side at 21 and my brain swelled etc.i was on an atv. i didnt have any drugs that are supoose to make the stroke stop. i was in a coma for a week and to this day i can not use my left hand. tell her to use her hand becuase if you dont itll never get better. the swelling in my brain healed within a week. its taking me 2 years and i cant use my arm. my leg is better but will not be the same.
age has alot to do with it! tthey said tthat if i wouldve been 50 i wouldve died,
I had a massive stroke on 22 of November 2009, when I was 44 yo. Stroke effected only my left side mobility. After a few weeks I learnt how to walk again with the help of AFO and since June 2010 I don't need the AFO any more, but still the spacticity is effecting my walking, with my left hand is a different story since I remember I could move my hand from myshoulder, but the fingers are playing the stuborn game, currently I can bent my fingers but not stragthen them. My bigest problem is that my daughter (23yo) refused to look after me, so since May 2010 I'm in Poland with my cousin, but due to financial problems, my disability pension was stopped after 13 weeks after my arrival to Poland. Now I'm arriving to Sydney on 2nd of March with better walking, but still not function in my left hand. Does anyone has an idea what services I could organise for myself to help me with shopping, cleaning etc????
Hi there.. I have a dear friend, John in Baltimore who is without doubt, God's MOSt Self-LESS of gentlemen. He was the Caregiver to both his ailing father and mother (she died 2 years ago at 88); during his life he has devoted love and care and devotion to his friends.I particularly have had the privilege of being told I was "the only girl " he ever loved. even tho I have been 26 years married to someone else and I have a son.... (marriage just didnt happen for John and myself ). Despite that, his "presence stil in the world has remained a comfort, knowing his rare kindness was still gracing the world.
I only learned 3 nights ago that in 3 weeks ago he suffered a brain stem stroke. His mind is working  but he cant really talk. He is presently in Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. He has no family left and his best friend there is filling in as "family spokeperson. (John was finally going ot have a Life on his own in an adjacent house on Emmet's property, Hed made countless trips during these months with furniture and other things from his place. 3 hr drive to W Virginia. , we have been corresponding via email for many months again. He told me recently hed had bad headaches then Jan 4  said he "had flue real bad"..." I love you" Apparantly he collapsed the next day and couldnt move but was able to dial 911..
I dont mind saying Im scared.. He is a cherished figure in my life..TOTAL kindness, an expert on classic movies, a 50s singer Jill Corey and Judy Garland. WHY dont doctors PICK UP on signs of trouble coming? Its like they steered this young man into sure trouble.
Is his age (53)  in his favor? He is currently w/ a feeding tube and a breathing tube. Its ok, Id rather know some particulars, it will aid me in knowing how to go here...
Thanks!
Much gratefulness.
Tally
***@****
My beloved husband (married just 18 months) suffered a stroke on New Year's Eve. I recognised the signs (FACE) immediately and dialled 999 for an emergency ambulance. After 3 nights in hospital in Oxford he was discharged with loss of sensation to touch on the left but able to move. Also very tired. Less than 24 hours later he suffered another massive stroke and now, nearly 4 weeks later is in still in hospital and completely unable to move on his left side. It is devastating to us all - me as his wife, lover and best friend, his own three children (aged 17 to 21), my four children (aged 16 to 20), his mother and step father, my parents, his ex wife and my ex husband (very good friends), their parents, all our wonderful and extensive friends and neighbours, work colleagues and many, many more beyond - but most of all to my husband who wept today in despair as he yearns to be the man he was. He told me he is still in there but has to find a way out of the maze. I love him deeply and will be there for him always. I am terrified, lonely, desperate at times, grieving and so much more but brought back to earth when I reflect how he must be feeling lying in a 4 bedded ward, unable to move and  with other men who cannot speak. My husband is only 53. We were in the prime of our lives. We will find a way to continue to be even if some modifications are needed now. Positive and optimistic (but with many wobbles) x
Hello my friend,
I am new to this site, so I hope this is going to the correct person. I had a major stroke in January 2010, so I hope I can help you and your husband and give you some hope. All of the emotions you both feel are normal. I understand that your life was changed in a second and this time is very scary and confusing but slow down a little and I will try to help some.

Your husband had a major trauma to his brain and it was only a month ago. All of the things that are happening to him are normal. The only thing that truly heals in stroke recovery is time. Right now his brain is re-wiring itself to make it get back to normal as possible, but it will take some time. I could not read or write after my stroke and it was frightening, but I am here now and can read and write again. It is not like it "used to be," but I feel blessed that I am able to do that. You mentioned your husband wept. That is ok. As a matter of fact, most people do cry a lot after a stroke. I cried all of the time and my wife would always ask what is wrong and I had no reason to tell her. I told her it is no you or anything, I just feel like I need to cry. That phase of my stroke also passed just as my reading and writing functions started to come back. There will be many new things that will happen to both of you. A stroke is just as hard to your partner as it is to the stroke survivor.

Every stroke is different to each person and you may never know why he had a stroke. My doctor could not give me a lot concrete answers, he just told me that "a stroke is a mystery." That made me stop wondering why it happened and started on trying to get better and to understand that time is our good friend.

Your husband will be fine, but there is no shortcut. I am so sorry that you all have only been 18 months married and had such a hard thing to happen to you, but you will get stronger by you weakness and your husband will too, I promise.

Just know that he is a different person now. That is not a bad thing at all. My stroke made me and my wife stronger and I had to forget my old life and re-learn things myself - even something as simple as reading and writing.

I hope this helped a little. Like I said, I am new here on this forum and am not sure how to get around, but I will be happy to give you and your husband and support or questions you may have about his stroke. I wish you both the best.
God Bless,
Tim
My mother of 63 years of age had a stroke 3 days ago. I found her on the floor around 10-15 mins after she had it, she couldnt move her right side and coudlnt talk just moaned, i dialed 000 and they took it from there..

They put her into a induced coma and had a opperation to remove the blood clot which was successful, but now the brain has swelled up a bit and they are waiting on the swelling to go down to see what to do next

Can she come back from this? is there any hope?
Hello lukeiii,
I am sorry to hear about your mother. I know that you are worried and that is understandable. First I want to tell you that yes, she can come back! And yes, there is always hope!

Since your mother only happened 3 days ago, all of this is overwhelming - I know that it is, but please do not despair. From what you said, it seems like to me that she had a stroke which made her fall and that is why her brain is swelled. The clot could have come from the fall and not from the stroke, but why the stroke happened is not relevant now. The fact is that she did have a stroke and we need to move on from there.

Her brain is now trying to fight two things at the same time. Repairing itself from the stroke and repairing itself from the operation. I am sure it will use most of its energy to heal the swelling. This means that the repairing from the stroke will not happen as much until the physical healing from the operation and swelling will subside. But all of these things will happen, but it may take some time.

In the mean time I want to tell you a few things that happened after my stroke. When I was in the hospital my wife would talk to me and ask me questions. If I could not respond, I know that she was worried, but I told her later that I heard everything she said and I understood every question, my brain would just not let me respond. So I want to tell you to talk to your mother and just assume that she hears you and understands everything you day, she just can't talk back right now. And please don't talk to her about her condition in front of her as she isn't there because I promise you she is there and hears you.

A stroke is a confusing and scary situation not only to the stroke survivor, but with every loved one as well. All of our lives are changed in an instant, but we all get through it. Just know that after I got home from the hospital I could read or write, or play my guitar and I cried a lot. However, all of those things slowly came back to me. I could not have written this to you one year ago. I know that may seem like a long time, but it really wasn't so long ago as I look back.

Your mother will come back. Just make sure you have a lot of patience and give her a lot of love and positive feelings. Talk to her as she hears and understand you and that will go a long way for her towards recovery. Understand also that she is confused and afraid and she does not understand what happened to her as well as you don't understand either. You all will understand these things and figure it out as time goes on. I will give you any support you might need, just ask.

God Bless,
Tim
hey thanks for the reply. Just a little update on my mothers progress;

The doctor said she is going to live, the swelling is going down and they are waiting for her to wake up on her own terms now, She had a ct scan and the doctors want a meeting with all of us again. I asked is she getting better and her reply was not exactly. Ill know tomorrow hopefully how she is progressing
My dearest dad,72, had brainstem stroke a month ago, he was unconscious, on ventilator for 3 weeks, he now opens his eyes for only a few seconds during the day and moves his left hand and toes only, he can not eat or talk and is on feeding tube. I'm devastated, i dont know if he can see, hear or know us when he opens his eyes? When would he regain his alertness? when would he be able to swallow? Is this locked in syndrome? Is he in any sort of pain? no therapy yet as he is not alert. please give me some information with your experience. i would greatly appreciate it. I dont know how to help. I wish i could wake up from this horrible nightmare.
Hello Hopefuldaughter,
I am so sorry to hear about your father. A brain stem stroke seems to affect heart rate and breathing, that is why he is on the ventilator. How long he is on that is hard to say. Obviously that will stay in until he can breath on his own. As with all strokes, the doctors can only do so much and it is up to our own brains and body to heal itself. I wish I could help you more, but this is the first brain stem stroke I have talked to, so I am not sure.

I would assume that he can here you and understand you, though it may not look like it to you. I have become friends to a stroke survivor that told me she was in a coma for months and she heard and understood everything. Her stroke now was 8 years ago and she is so sweet and so outgoing and she is doing wonderful. So there is always hope my friend. I know it looks grim when a stroke first happens, but our brains are amazing in the way that they can heal themselves. My doctor didn't give me much hope after my stroke - and thought I would never be able to read and write again, but here I am.

If I can help you in anyway, I will try.
God Bless,
Tim
My 85 yr old mother had a TIA stroke on 1/7/11, but came out of it by the time we arrived at the hospital. However with the CT scan they found a meningioma (3cm) on the right frontal lobe of her brain with edema; the swelling had cause the stroke. They put her on seizure meds and prednisone to reduce swelling and wanted to keep an eye on tumor growth before surgery. It's been over a month and the tumor has not grown any but the neurosurgeon said today she will need surgery to avoid a massive stroke.  BUT, the chances of full recovery from surgery are 70%, the 30% being a stroke or death.  My mom is very active and in otherwise good health, has never been on any medications at all until this.  They gave her a heart stress test and her heart pumps at 77%.  However I am very scared of her having a stroke during surgery (or even after).  Has anyone ever had a meningioma removed?  Or had a stroke during the surgery?  I have no brothers or sisters and left Los Angeles to come to Florida to help her thru this.  She is on a fixed income and now I am not working so if she needed special rehab or making the house wheelchair friendly after surgery (if she had a stroke) I don't know how I would afford it.  But more then that she would be miserable not being able to do anything.  I am so very scared for her.  If anyone has any experience with meningioma removal surgery please let me know!  Thank you!
My daughter had  a stroke 1 1/2 yrs ago.  at the time she was 25. Due to circumstances...  she is currently living in assisted living home with hopes to live independently with a care giver.  Anyone familiar with lockin syndrome?  She is currently participating in therapies.  She can say a very small assortment of words and currently doesn't walk.  She communicates via phone text to my email.  However she is on board with most conversations.  
The entire situation has been life changing for all involved.  My heart goes out to all that has had "stroke" affect lives.
My 63 yo mother suffered a massive stroke March 19, 2011. It is now May 21, 2011 and my family and I have been through quite the roller-coaster. We have had to remove a part of her skull to allow room for the swelling. They had to intubate her and she was in ICU for about a month. She is now in a step down regular room. The stroke was on the right side which has paralyzed her left arm and leg. She has been taken off the ventilator and has a trake (i am unsure of the spelling).. She seems to be trying to communicate to me via her tapping her hand on mine or her leg on the bed. I don't know what to do. My father died in November 2010 so I have no one to go to for advice... How long does it take a person to pull out of this and start communicating and talking??? I have so many questions but no one to talk to.. Help..
JoE Stowe, Vermont.  
My father is 57 years old now, and it's almost 4 years when he suffered stroke. He hasn't been in any live-in rehabs. He was just receiving home service massage therapy for quite some time. Though he is able to walk using a plastic chair as his guide and by swinging his left leg, but first we must help him to stand. His left arm has no movement at all, except when he's stretching after a disturbed sleep or yawning. His speech is not much affected.

I just want him to be able stand and to walk on his own. Help me.
My mom has had four strokes but this last one was a right sided hemorrhagic stroke that has paralyzed her left arm.  I've noticed that her memory is great and her speech is coming back but she is unable to focus and is very emotional.  Have any of you noticed this about your loved ones?  Do they get better with time mentally?
Last week my dad has got stroke and his right side is paralyzed. His throat is also paralyzed. He is unable to swallow the food. Right now the liquid is consumed through nose.

His report says ...
1) right side haemaephilia
2) acute infarct
3) few lacunar ischemic foci in the bilateral cerebral hemisphere
4) periventricular white matter ischemia
5) cerebral atrophy
6) Liver Cirrhosis

Please let me know what treatment is good for him and how soon he can recover.

Also what kind of bed is good for paralyzed patients ?
Hello People and fellow sufferers, my mother(age 62) suffered a bleed on her left side brain at the front, 1.5 yrs ago, the results were bad at the time, she was left paralized down her right side, unable to speak, problem solve or undrstand anything.

It was a hard road back, and continues to be a hard road back - today she can walk and talk, her arm is still weak but getting allsorts of attention - usually from me, as physio everyday is just too expensive, so i copy what they do at the clinic. her talking at times is not great as she cant always find the right words, but it is improving everyday - her personality has changed a lot but i dont know if that is down to anxiety.

What I will say to anyone who is recently come to a stroke, is in the early days, whilst they are laid up in bed unable to move, is hold their paralised limbs and gently move them - because whilst they are laid up, the brain is still rewiring itself, and, it will record this activity and store it for when they are well enough to do physio!!!  The nurses and other patients might think your a bit weird, but so what, its your loved one and your helping them.

Another important thing is try to get the amino acid 'Taurine' in a daily form for them, it REALLY helps the brain in its recovery!!!  And plenty of blueberries too!!

After about 6 months, you will fins the arm is stiffening up due to the tone!  There is no useful medicine that Im aware of to cure this problem!  However, injections of botox will eliminate the tone pretty fast I found (within 3 days) and allow you to exercise the stuck limbs again - usually forearm , chest and fingers.

Unfortunately, I cant advise how to deal with the changed personality, I think because the anxiety is so bad, the person you once knew cant seem to shine through, although at times I see sparks of it - but Im just thankful mum is with me still and can now walk and talk - good things still happen even after 18 months - but you have to push them, caring is not enough, you have to push the envelope at times - whilst holding their hands.

Im with you all !!!  I understand those lonely nights when your wondering will they get through the night without a seizure or a fall, I've been there!!

Minha mãe, 68 anos, sofreu um derrame no lado direito  do cérebro dela quando eu estava em minha casa em salvador o meu filho mim ligo e falo que ela estava tonta e logo eu corre para acasa dela que tem 110 KM  . Que foi um ano  atrás, e ela deixou de ser quase inconsciente e incapaz de se mover em todas ou falar, sentado ao lado de sua cama, em pé com a ajuda de uma cinta, e falando sem parar (embora a afasia (aphasia) vira a falando em confusão de palavras).
Eu estive com ela todos os dias, mas infelizmente tive que  muda para a cidade dela que pare com toda a minha vida .  gostaria de sabre se ela tem   chance de que ela vai se recuperar ??não vou mentir não é uma doença que tem que ter muito forca de vontade para cuida de pessoas com esta doença e muita calma .tem remédio caseiro que ela posso tomar??
my grandmom had a stroke 3 yrs ago and still can move her right hand. Her left leg and arm works good. she can walk good. but i was wondering will her right hand ever work again? or can she still go to rehab for her arm?
My mom had a stroke two weeks back on 3.9.11. She had a haemorragic stroke in left basal ganglia with a midline shift of septum by 7 mm. She was treated for 10 days in hospital and now is at home undergoing physiotherapy. She has a paralysed right side, but is able to stretch her right leg a little bit now. She suffers from slurring speech but is able to recognise everybody and talk a little. However she gets tired very easily after sitting for about 4-5 minutes or so and feels drowsy all the time. The physiotherapist says that he is hopeful of getting her to walk but the 7 mm midline shift is a worry.
I am thankful to have my mom back with me and please help me with your comments if you have similiar experiences. This blog has provided me with lots of strength in an otherwise tough time
My mom had a stroke due to uncontrolled blood pressure 9/16/2011.  She spent 4 days in the hospital and is now in a rehab facility. My mom suffered right sided weakness, which left her unable to walk, difficulty swalllowing and no movement to right arm. First and foremost, God has been the savior in my mom's situation. I truly believe that prayer is the answer for all problems. My family is praying for a miracle healing as we know God is s miracle worker.  My mom has been in a live in rehab facility for 5 days she is talking better, walking a few feet, still working on that right arm.. As a registered nurse my advise to any person dealing with a loved on that has had a stroke, yes it is hard to deal with. The support from family and friends is a very important factor in a person's prognosis. Healing is different for each person, however with support, determination, prayer and therapies there can be a full recovery.  I have had patients that have made a full recoveries from strokes.  My mom decided on her own to quit smoking which is a blessing.  The Lord will give you strength and direction.  It takes faith and lots of prayer to make it through each day.  But as the days go by and you see the progress and recovery it makes it much easier to push on to the next day. We have to be patient in the body healing itself. To see my mom smile and say she is determined to get back to normal gives me hope. May the Lord help in all your situations. God Bless each of you.
I am a stroke victim of 54 yrs old. I had an right sided ischemic stroke with left side paralysis. I had it on 7/29/11. I am currently walking with a quad cane and get very tired after 100 ft. I get tired with minimal activity. I was a very high active person with a nursing profession and it is very difficult to be on the opposite side of the fence. My left arm is in constant pain and the OT tells me this is a good sign. I have muscle cramps from my left shoulder to my toes every day. Depression sets in when you work so hard on the arm and still no movement. Good thing I have a great family and friend support system to keep me fighting every day.I am looking forward to the day I can be completly functional. keep fighting and do not give up.  
My Brother is 17 years old and conducted the surgery of Bronchiectasis left lower Lobectomy on July 18, 2011 and had a Hemiplegia Right side on July 22, 2011, where the right side of his body (Right hand & Leg) stopped working and can’t speak though at the beginning.
Since then, he is getting better day the other, gradually and the first thing he start speaking though not properly, start moving upper part of his leg and lastly upper part of his hand (from Superior to Inferior) though his fingers are still not working and by now can walk and move up his hand but still his speech and movement is not fully normal.
Biopsy: Confirmed Bronchiectasis.
He is discharge from the hospital on July 29, 2011 and is at home since then under the Physiotherapy together with taking some medicine suggested by his doctor.
My question is that well he be back to his normal condition and how long will it takes?
I value your advice and I’ll look forward to hearing from you guys.
Thank you,
Hello Everyone my mom had a right-sided stroke about 4 weeks ago,I've just gotten emotionally stable enough to join this community ! My mom stroke left her with complete paralysis on left side unable to sallow,so she has a feeding tube in stomach which has been one problem after another presently its infected ,so its slowing her rehab down ,being that shes in the hospital what next? what to do? I have soo many questions ,please someone out there send some miracle stories my way sure could use them now!!!  Thanks Again
There is a video on you tube about stroke recovery stories.  Actually I think it is called "amazing brain stroke stories".  My wife and her friend put it up.  There is also a book called The Brain that Changes itself, by Dr. Norman Doidge MD.  There is a story in that book about a uni professor in his mid 60's who was not supposed to live let alone recover.  But he did and went back to work lecturing at uni/college.  And this was 50 od years ago.

Kind Regards

Leo
You were absolutely right with your last phrase, "keep fighting and do not give up."  You are less than 3 months from the date of your stroke at this point in time.  You make the most progress within the first 6 to 12 months.  And people continue to make progress after that.  You are able to walk!  I know it's hard to count your blessings at this point.  I asked my Physical therapist, how come it takes so long to make so little progress?   She told me that was the way with stroke progress.

If you get prolonged strong depression, be sure to take anti-depressants which are also a major pain killer.  Since my stroke I have had 24/7 migraines ever since over 3 years ago.  The headache specialist advised me to greatly increase the amount of anti-depressant I was on FOR THE PAIN which you also mentioned.  I was in severe arm pain after my stroke which is now gone.  I needed anti-depressants about 6 months ago because of the severe lack of quality in my life, but they did take away the depression which I never thought was possible given the reason for the depression.

I was 56 when I had my stroke completely out of the blue.  It was not caused by a blood clot, but from the carotid artery tearing apart.  I was also very active, (probably under too much stress with everything,) so I do understand your aggravation.

One thing that may help your cramping is BOTOX INJECTIONS which are supposed to help that.  Has anyone mentioned that to you?

Good luck and keep me posted on your progress.
Hi. My husband had a devastating stroke early in the morning of October 21, 2011. The blood thinners did not help. Pretty much the entire right hemisphere has been affected, resulting in the paralyses of his left side, was hardly able to open his eyes, could not swallow and spoke with great difficulty. Currently he is in a coma and has swelling of the brain, resulting in fluctuating body temp, from fever to normal. What I would like to know is whether anyone here has had a similar experience with an entire hemisphere effected and how the situation developed over time. Thanks!
I would like to add to my post dated Oct 27, 2011 that my husband passed away peacefully this evening at 7:30 pm. I wish I could have posted better new.

I wish everybody here all the best. Thank you.
So sorry to hear about your loss.  Thank you for posting again to let us know.  We all wish you the very best at this very difficult time.
My husband, 61, was also a very active person, with no risk factors other than being a former smoker (10-months nicotene-free at the time of stroke). He stroked on Oct. 24, '11 right in front of me. The paramedics were there in 10 minutes, he got tPA within 2 hrs, and was almost back to normal by that evening. Then 25 hrs later he stroked again, same clot (the tPA only got half of the 10 mm clot), and they couldnt give another dose of tPA or it would have killed him. So that was 13 days ago, and he is now in a skilled nursing facility for rehab. He has no use of his left arm and leg and the left side of his mouth droops. He gets PT, OT, and SpT 6 days a week, but so far there is little to no improvement. He does seem to be regaining some of the sensory funtion in his left side but none of the motor function. I am worried that the longer he goes on with next to no improvement, the less likely he is to recover.
He is on anti-seizure medication, which makes him really drowsy. I can't get any definitive answers as to how typical his recovery is. So thank you for your input. It helped to clarify things for me.
Hello my mother ,had a open heart surgery  while in recovery  she had a massive stroke ,this was dec2010 and until know she is not moving her left side i give her teraphy my self,and place her on wheel chair, i cook food so she can eat by her self not all the time, what can i do so her brain can improve,she can not see she has poor eyesight since a child, so i really want to help her please i need information, so i can emprove her brain or whetever i need
There is a new free website that offers the same clinical articles used by professional neurologists to the general public. It has the most extensive stroke coverage of any online resource. Note that the articles are written for physicians and not dumbed down for general consumption, but they are of considerable depth and quite up to date. The site is available here:

http://www.medmerits.com
After a long and painful (physically, mentally and emotionally) relationship and then break-up with my ex he continued to haunt me, continued to stalk me in my quest for a new life… even though he had a new woman to torture. I tried the police, they couldn’t keep him away. I turned to friends for protection and they couldn’t help me. I moved, he found me. I had no way out. Divine.lovespell was my last resort to make him see and to be done with me and his cruel ways. The stories I have heard of what have happened to him I will no repeat but some have been horrific. He has since left me alone since he now has his own problems to deal with. I have been able to have a life my life without always looking over my shoulder thanks to divine.***@**** dont know how to thank him for giving me my life back.
Your experiene sounds like a severe stroke to me.  And glad that you are better.
I agree with you laaz..  it was in 2001 that her mum had a stroke and she is still hurting?. What about when Judith was a baby and her mum had to carry her for 9 months. that aint easy. How about when mum helped judith when she had to go to toilet. Now its the other way roumd and she feels angry. Sad for children to think that way. My mum had a stroke and has no movement to her left at all. she is bedridden. I help her and clean her everyday without any anger. I feel its the least I could for her,after what she did when I was a baby.
We're in week 3 since my 60 yr old husbands massive right side stroke, he was just moved to the inpatient rehab. These posts have been the most helpful information I have received in terms of trying to understand what to expect in recovery.  I know the drs don't like to pronuacute
It's been 16 days since my 60 yr old husband's massive right side stroke, he was just moved to the inpatient rehab. These posts have been the most helpful information I have received in terms of trying to understand what to expect in recovery.  I know the drs don't like to prognosticate but it is frustrating having no idea what the future could hold. His only risk factor was he was a former smoker, for many years and nicotine free for nearly 4 yrs. We had a very active life, biking, kyaking, hiking, etc. and he was a health food nut, tried to follow a natural macrobiotic diet. He had an embolic stroke - particle that traveled from somewhere, likely the heart until it reached a small artery in the brain. He has his speech and his mind, thank God, but no movement on the left side and swallowing issues. He is a teacher and if he isn't able to go back to work we won't be able to afford to keep our house. I work from home and the rehab is very close so I go to see him 2x/day. I want to be cheery for him, but he is very fatigued and quiet and I just don't know how to keep our spirits up.  He's only been in rehab 1 day so I am hopeful that any progress we see will be encouraging and make it easier to smile, even if it's lopsided. Thank you all for sharing. Incredible how the life you take for granted can change in an instant.
How do you know  if a person knows who u r after brain surgery from massive stroke?
This is week 2 for my 44 yr old super healthy sister. She had a hemorrhagic stroke. These posts have really helped. The medical staff is great, but, not to encouraging like u all say. She too has a feeding tube & trachea tube. They just today took her off the ventilator and he's breathing good on her on. Her responses r very intermittent. I know she knows I'm there, I just think everyday when I get to ICU today will be the day she opens her eyes   Thank you for your posts, they r the only hope I have it's just us.  
I want to thank all of you guys for posting your experiences of dealing with your loved ones and there recovery from there strokes. My dad just suffered a thalamic stroke yesterday on the left side of his brain and is totally unable to move anything on the right side of his body. he is unable to talk and is having problems breathing due to the inbalance in his brain. i dont really know how to take to all of this but seeing you guys posts have really helped me to stay positive. My dad is one of GOD's true angels. he has a heart of gold and the love that would fill up any open space. right now the doctors are watching out for three things......1- monitoring the blood which was leaking into his ventricles around the brain, 2- watching to see if the blood will clot and start to block the other fluids from going into the rest of the body, and 3- being that he had problems with alcohol seeing how his body is going to react to the detox stage which may cause seisures. i would like to ask that all of you guys pray for him to recover as i will do for everyone of you. please keep updating your posts as i will be doing in return.  
This is week 3 for my Sister, she suffered a massive hemorrghic stroke on the left side. Be prepared for baby steps, every little move is huge. My sister is still sleeping most of the time, but, this week we all know she is trying to talk & understands what is being said. Her right side which hasn't moved much at all short of non intentional moves is just beginning after 3 weeks to move some, huge. They r giving her provigil and it eventually wakes her up 4 hours later, and day to day it varies as to how long she stays awake. One day great next day not as much. I think these posts give all of us the same hope, her drain bled for a week, now it's all just fluid. S far it's been clamped for 4 days and her ICP has remained stable. Hopefully we will be on our way to rehab end of next week. Blessings to you all & your loved one.
My mother is having similar problems as well. Where in India are you at? My mom is at chennai. can u write to me at ***@****?
Hello...my grandfather had massive left side brain stroke 1 day ago.Right now he is pretty bad.He is not in conscious since yesterday evening.He is like sleeping all the time.When that is happened he was not able to take any medicine may be at least 3 hours.Do anybody know is there a cases when people in condition as bad as my grandfather went trough this and got recovered.Thank you
Hi, my Fiance had a massive hemorrhagic stroke on her right side on the 8th, two weeks tomorrow.  She is only 36, healthy, never smoked, doesn't drink no drugs, etc...  What a wake up call for me.  

Anyway, I just want to thank everyone for sharing your stories.  It helps a lot!
My dad 58 just had a stroke, he can speak but can't walk he's strength has all gone. I'm very worried for him and want him back home again the doctors said that he will learn how to walk again and be himself but his mind is all over the place he thinks he is in work and not in hospital. I hope that his mind will come back,
My fathers best friend of 40 years had a major stroke on jan 7th 2012.  I have been taking care of him since he was diagnosed with prostate cancer and a broken hip in 2011.  Hi is currently in rehab. I was told he had a herniation of the brain.  It was a massive ischemic stroke.  I go in daily to visit him.  He is able to drink and put cones on top of each other.  It is very frustrating not to be able to communicate with him.  I feel for all of you out htere that have gone thru this with a loved one.  My father passed away in 2007 of pancreatic cancer.  If anyone has any info on brain herniation recover or massive ischemic stroke. It is going on the third month, how do i know if hes suffering when he cant communicate?  
I know it was awhile ago that you had your stroke.  How are you doing now?  I hope well!  My 46 year old husband had a stroke 4 months ago.  He is walking with a stick.  He works very hard.  Seems like you did as well.  Thank you ***@****
I know it was awhile ago that you had your stroke.  How are you doing now?  I hope well!  My 46 year old husband had a stroke 4 months ago that affected his right side.  He is walking with a stick.  He works very hard. Seems like you did as well.  His hand opens and closes with wide fingers, but he cannot move individual fingers yet.  How did you progress.  Thank you ***@****
Hello Arlene.  I truly hope your husband recovered well! My 46 year old husband had a stroke 4 months ago that affected his right side.  Please let me know how your husband has faired.  Thank you ***@****
Hello Alene.  I truly hope your husband recovered well! My 46 year old husband had a stroke 4 months ago that affected his right side.  Please let me know how your husband has faired.  Thank you ***@****.  I'm sorry I meant Alene
My husband, 63 years old, suffered a stroke on June 6 after having  quadruple by-pass heart surgery.  We have been married for 39 years and I was totally devastated.  Result of the stroke...right side paralysis and can't say anything but 'yes.'   He also has a feeding tube going directly to his stomach.  He has been in a rehabilitation for 2 weeks where he gets OT, PT and speech therapy.  His personality has been fine and he looks good.  He is scheduled to have a swallow study to see if the feeding tube can be removed.  (It's been in for a month now.)  I just have to be patient with the whole process.  I feel very helpless, but I know that he is getting good professional training.  I just pray that he will regain movement to his right side and will be able to eat again.  I will work with him with the speech at home.  He can sing almost any song without missing words.  That is very odd as he can't say words that someone might ask him to say.  I have never known anyone that had a stroke, so I am learning with this as well.  
Could I ask you a question that would help me advise someone else?  Does your husband get PT and for the side that is paraylzed or the other side?  Sorry for my gross ignorance on this.
My husband had a stroke last year 2/25/2011 when he was 49. Now is almost 1 and 1/2 year. He had a massive stroke, right now he can walk with cane, but his right hand still can not open and close. I would like to know from you, after several years, how is your husband doing? he is much better? Can he use his hand?
i am 61 female moderately active,normal weight and non-smoker and have recently had two tia which both affected only the left eye. monocular losss of vision - it received no input  signals at all, a blackness, the firat time it happened .  and thanks to the internet sites like this i knew i had an increased chance of a stroke that it was most likely the carotid artery blocked and to go asap to GP.. So i could tell GP not an eye problem but that it was an increased likelihood of stroke and to refer upwards to cosultant and stroke clinic asap. As expectd another tia  ten days later.. apart from bp tablet also prescribed  a blood thinning daily tablet safer than aspirin; cholesterol to be monitored and keep bp to 135/85  ok for now. god bless you all.
Hi Alene,
    I just read your post dated on 2008. My husband had a stroke last year when he was 49. Now is almost 1 and 1/2 years, he still can not open and close his right hand. I would like to know that after 4 years is your husband much better? His physical ability is much improved. My husband's recover speed seems slow. Right now he can walk with cane with short distance for about15 mins.  Can you email me back? Thanks.
IMy mother was fine and went it for a routine endo test.  She came out of it and had a stroke.  The Dr, and nurses in the hospital ALL missed the stroke signs and did not treat her for a stroke until 4 and 1/2 hours later.  They told her to go home and sleep off the med.  SHe could not stand up, was slurring, complained of head hurting.....  My sisters and I take care of my mom who had 3 massive strokes and is now in a nursing home.  SHe knows what is going on and has a great memory.  SHe was physically hit by an aide that works at the nursing home because she was "crying"  We have been through hell and back and last week the CNA was refusing to give her more food. I am at the nursing home 1-13 times a day checking on my mom and spending time with her.
My dad is 6 and he still at home but I go every day to take care of him.
That is the life I have now and I love the time I spend with them.  I wish I had more help and that we could turn back the time two tears and go on vacation.  Cherish the time you have with your mom or dad.

How I so empathize with your severe problems with the nursing home.  You should report the aide who hit your mother to the management.  If they don't fire the aide, then you should report them to a State Board which regulates nursing homes.  I don't know what CNA means, but again, your mother should never be refused food and again you should report it.  I had terrible problems where my mother was.  I finally found out about a hospice place which costs more money but relieved my sense of mind so much.  I would try to find a better place to save your mother's peace of mind and your sanity.  Good luck.
Hello Helln, sounds like you are trying to find out the same answers as I am.  My husband is 47 now.  It has been 5 months since his stroke.  Right side weakness, walks with a stick.  We are also concerned about arm and hand movement.  I asked the same questions. It has been a long time for the other patients.  Not sure if they go on this site any more.  Have you heard anything?   Best of luck with your husband.  My thoughts and prayers are with you as well.

Narny115
You don't mention anything about physical therapy (PT).  The first year is when patients make the most progress, but PT is essential as well as the patient putting in significant time with the exercises!  Your husband should continue to make progress IF he is exercising from his PT exercises.  Please let me know that he is getting PT.  That's what helped me tremendously from severe pain and disability after my stroke.

But to Helln, patients can continue to make progress after a year or even years later.
Thank you so much Sara.  My husband, by nature is a very active person.  He did coach football and basketball.  He worked out frequently and ate right.  Unfortunately had high blood pressure we were unaware of.  It's been 5 months.  He was very aggressive with PT and OT.  He now goes to the gym.  He is constitantly working his leg, arm and hand some how.  He seems to be getting stronger, but it is moving so slow and of course, the fear is that is will not come back.  Moving fingers individually is difficult right now.  Thank you so much for responding!  It is really good to hear from others.  I am so happy that you are recoving well!!!  I sure wish the best for Helln's husband as well.

Narny115
Forgot to mention, unfortunately he was not able to receive the TPA shot.  It was past the time.  

Thanks again for your concern Sara.

Narny115
It does take a long time to make progress with the stroke affected side.  I went through months and months of PT.  At one point, I asked the physical therapist, how come when I'm working so hard, does it not improve much at all.  She said that it just takes a long time after a stroke.

Just have him focus on the progress that he has made.  He was probably a lot worse when he started.  Sorry to tell you, but I never got full use of my hand, arm or leg back, but remarkedly better than it was initially four years ago.  

Plus, it may help him to realize what might have been the disability or death.  You could find out to get a better perspective on it.  I was told 8 months after my stroke that if I hadn't been the age that I was AND if I hadn't had such an excellent circulatory system, that I would have been sitting at the neurologist's appointment paralyzed and not able to speak.  She showed me screen by screen on one of my scans, that as the one side of the brain was dying from no blood, the other side was sending up more and more blood.  It was a wake up call for me to be grateful considering what might have been.  

Still, I have my times when I get depressed about my disabilities, especially a 24/7 migraine that never leaves me.  It is difficult to adjust.

Also, there are very small changes for the better with stroke survivers as the years go by.  

Good luck with encouraging your husband.  A stroke is a very serious event.  Many die from it.
Hello Sara,

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement.   You are absolutely right.  He is much better than he was before.  I know that is what we have to focus on.  It is just hard.  However, he is amazing.  He just keeps working.  He is very strong mentally and very focused.  I am sorry about the migraines.  I am a migraine sufferer.  I have no idea how handle the constant pain.  I can definately see depression with that!  You have managed very well.  Your kind words and encouragement based on what you have to deal with really shows your strength!
How nice of you to give me such kind words. Strokes can certainly change your life, but it can still be worthwhile.  Your husband does sound amazing.  It must be especially hard for him having been so active before his stroke.  You sound like an excellent and caring wife for him.  I really wish the best for your husband.  And keep me posted in a few months about how he is doing.
Sara
what did they do about the bowel ob.
My sister-in-law had a massive stroke 7 days ago. She had part of her skull removed and place in her abdomen for safe keeping. She will not open her eyes and sleeps all the time. She has no movement on the left side. Could her vision on the left side be impaired as well? If you force her eyes open she can see
I am in the same situation right at this moment. My mother who is  86 y.o Had a stroke and I think we missed all her chasces of meaningful recovery because the doctors are not presenting things objectively based the survival of my mother but they are insinuating that she is dead because half of her brain had massive injury due to massive stroke. The doctor said, " if I remove half of your brain, are you going to live?"  and discouraged surgery.  On the fifth day my mother is still fighting  and the intensivist ask if he can call georgetown but during that time she was already presenting with anequal pupils. My question is, why did they discouraged us when she had all the chances. Base on this experience, I would say, go for surgery if it is an option . It is difficult to determine the extent of brain swelling during the first 3 to 5 days because of the swelling around the injury. It may not be as bad as it may appear in the CT scan. Health personnels including doctors and nurses are already sensitized and are always talking about comfort measures but this is equivalent to mercy killing or euthanasia. There may be prolonged recovery and in massive brain injury including stroke, it may take 3months for the brain swelling to completely subside.and it may take 3-6 month to see any improvement. Don't forget that the human brain has the ability to adapt and cells of the brain is capable of redirecting impulses to the functional parts of the brain to take over the cells that are injured (Plasticity of the human Brain). and most of all, humans has limitations but everything is possible with GOD. If GOD can bring the dead to life, then He can restore the functions of our body. Praise be to GOD for His is the Kingdom, the power and the glory.
how is he now?
My dad is 69 years old and in the ICU now, he suffered massive stroke. He cant move his right hand and leg and cant talk. He has tube for his breathing. The Dr said we have 2 options for him. Option 1 he will stay in the hospital and given medications until the swelling of his left brain will subside. Option 2 we need to have him brain surgery to remove the left brain that has been damaged and prevent it to go to the other side. My question is how much is the assurance that he will still alive and back to normal after the surgery? Anyone who has same experience, please enlighten us. We need your ideas.
It's good to try to get more info on this website.  But what have the doctors told you about the benefits and risks of both options?  If you take option 1 for now, will your father be eligible to have brain surgery later?  I believe that brain surgery always has risks, but maybe it is worth the risks.  You need to get more information.
Thanks sara12345 for your reply. Yes, we decided to go with the brain surgery because Option 1 and Option have the same negative effects. But at least in Option 2 we were trying still to save his life though its risky unlike in Option 2 that its just like we did nothing to him. Last night, he had his neurosurgery which took 4 hours. Its been 18 hours now that hes still not awaken. The Dr said, his vital signs are ok now but he had not regain yet his consciousness. My question is how long does it takes for him to regain his consciousness after 4 hours of brain surgery? Thank you.
I will be interested to know how your father does after the surgery.  It does sound like you made the right decision.  Really wish him the best.
Hi, he's still not awaken up to this very minute. The Dr. said the consciousness of the patient depends on his body resistance. SOme regain their consciosness in hours but others in weeks. Right now, he is still in the ICU and were still waiting him to regain his consciousness. We're praying and hoping that he will be ok soon.
Lynn,
I will also pray for him.  Hoping for the best for him.  
Sara
Thank you sis. Right now, in God's grace my dad has been released from icu to cvu(cardiovascular unit) for close monitoring still but his vital signs are quite stable now. He underwent tracheostomy to prevent pneumonia due to a long span use of ventilator. He cannot talk, his right leg and arm cant move still but he could understand and recognize us. We're looking forward to his total recovery and hopefully we could start therapy for him.
That's great that your dad recognizes and understands you.  Celebrate any progress that your dad makes, even if it's not a total recovery.  I didn't have a full recovery after my stroke at age 56, but you are grateful for everything that you get back--after the grief over what you've lost.   It's five years later for me and I am still very disabled.  I wish your dad the best.
Thanks sara12345, we are very thankful to God for his continuous help to my dad. How long does it took you to recover after the stroke? Did you had brain surgery and tracheostomy as well?
No, I didn't need surgery or a tracheostomy.  It took many months of physical therapy 3 to 5 days a week to get more function and to relieve very intense pain, but my body is still not functioning fully.  It took months of speech therapy to help me find words.  But it took several years to get my full speech back.  But I am severely disabled by 24/7 migraines caused by my stroke which are often severe and put me in bed for days at a time.  I can only do a little bit each day and must get at least 12 hours of sleep or the migraines get terrible.  Now that I'm on 4 medications, 25 Botox injections and nerve block and trigger point injections, I can function some and no longer have to go to the ER frequently.  I have a whole bunch of smaller things like no appetite and difficulty swallowing.  But I am very grateful that I am not still paralyzed and not barely able to speak.  

I am finally accepting of my condition--thanking God for what I do have and not agonizing over all of my many deficits.  Continuing to send you prayers for your father.
Thank you so much for giving us ideas about stroke and sharing with us here your experience. This is just a proof that stroke really change one's life but with God's help, eventually stroke victim as well as family members could cope and recover. We will just continue moving, have faith and keep on praying.
Lynn, Thanks for your comments.  I would be interested in how your father progresses in time when you feel like reporting anything.  Wish you all the best.  Sara
Hi, Just want to ask if you also had constipation (bloated), lots of hiccups and vomiting after the stroke? My father was discharge from the icu after 20 days of confinement. While at home, he usually have hiccups and vomit and everytime he vomits his BP fluctuates and he has difficulty in breathing. Aside from that, he has been constipated for 6 days. Were very worried thats why we decided to bring him back to the hospital and he's again confined in the icu because the initial findings of the doctor is infection though we are still waiting for the blood test result. Had you experience the same as my dad? Thanks
Sorry to hear about your father's effects.  I have been constipated ever since my stroke 4.5 years ago.  So I take Miralax every 2 days and Benefiber every day.  So then my bowels often go from too loose to constipation.  I do get hiccups about every night, but its clearly from my medications. If I get to it right away, it goes away with taking a bunch of small sips of water.  I did not experience a lot of vomiting--only when my severe migraines got worse.
Ok, thanks to you for all the info. May God bless us all.
You're so welcome.  Keep me posted about your father and how he is doing.  Yes to God's blessings.
My Grandmother is 84 years old, she had a stroke on March 19th 2013 Today is April 23rd 2013. The only thing she is able to do is sleep and sometimes swallow pureed foods/fruits/veggies/soup. She can no longer speak. We live in a country with poor healthcare where doctors are most likely to kill someone by giving them wrong medication. My grandma had her stroke when she had a high blood pressure. What medication does one take to improve someone in my grandma's condition? She is strong mentally and has many more years to live, just need to help her get her brain back on track, please share the information on what medications you or your loved ones were given and what diagnosis was it for...Thank you Everyone.
April 28th, my grandma started having difficulty breathing.She was rushed to somewhat of a "hospital CCU", "Doctors" seem to have able to get a look at her brain scan and we were told that her brain has shrunk. Not sure if it is because she is 84 years young or because of the stroke she had on March 19th. The only thing she can do is open her eyes and sometimes follow people with her look. She was perfectly functional(other than walking, she couldn't stand on her feet and walk farther than 10-15yards, but she could still crawl on all 4s) and she was taking vitamins and fish oil on regular basis and her thinking was sharp, but now all that is gone. She has taken Cerebrolisyn, Ceraxon and lucetam since the stroke, but none of that seem to have helped.
May 2nd. My grandma has passed away waiting and waiting and waiting for her favorite son. She came to me in my dream the day she died, she was smiling and happy, but then she slowly turned around and started walking on all 4s away from me. I was afraid that I knew what it ment. I did't come home in time to see her, something I will always regret not being able to fulfill her last wish to see me...I just thought I had 2 weeks to get my things together before I make this 24hour flight home, which will very well end up being where I'll stay for a while before getting back on track with the rest of my life, I was throwing everything away, my job, my stuff but I just needed lil bit longer just 2 more weeks. I wish I let it all go and got myself a ticket the day I found out about her stroke, because now that I didnt get to see her for the last time , the damage is so much more devastating than it would have been if I got to kiss her cheecks one last time.
I can understand how upset you are about losing your grandma before you could get there.  But I think that she did get her goodbye with you on the day that she died.  (I have my own reasons for believing that the loved ones who have left us, are still with us.  I know that others would disagree.)  It's unclear whether your grandma would have known that you were there from the way that you described her.  But I am absolutely sure that your grandma knew how very much you loved her, that your loving thoughts were with her, and that you were too far away to get to her.
My fiance had a massive stroke on the right side of his brain in September 2012. His stroke (as the doctors told us) was unique. He had an infection in his teeth that spread into his blood stream and festered in his sinus area (just behind the eyes & nose under his brain) causing swelling to his brain damaging his pituitary gland and leaving scar tissue under the entire base of his brain. The swelling also caused a pseudo aneurism (aneurysm) behind his right ear (inoperable) that began to leak. In the 7 months of hospitalization and rehab the problems that caused the stroke were stabilized. He is now into his 5th month home. 2 months ago all the in-home rehab stopped but now we can't get to any outpatient therapy unless I (the only income because the state of Maryland says he's not disabled and keeps denying disability) take off work and this can't happen because we will lose our home. I am dismayed that this is the life that we have been given. I have no words to express how I feel about all this. His personality changed after the stroke and he tells me that I am the one that changed. His recovery has been slow. He can walk and feed himself but relies on assistance for everything else. I was sure I could do this but now his personality has changed and he is degrading and belittling in a way that I find offensive to me and others! How does I deal with being treated like it is my obligation to care for him REGARDLESS of how badly he speak to and treats me. Am I suppose to just eat my self-worth and sanity because I agreed that I would be in this til death do us part!? His attitude has me second guessing the ring that has been on my finger since May of 2012.
No, you don't owe him your life.  First of all, it seems odd that all in-home therapy has stopped and he cannot get disability, yet he can barely do anything. Is he capable of doing the exercises that were given to him during all his previous physical therapy?  Why can't he do more than walk and feed himself?  To be able to walk is major. I'm wondering if his psyche is so down and depressed that he has given up. Could you try to get him to take anti-depressants?  That could help his bad behavior and his lack of doing anything. Does he have any friends or family that could take him to therapy?  No you don't need to put up with his bad behavior. If he can't behave better, which he may not be able to since strokes can dramatically change people's personalities, my vote would be to cut loose. I hear it in your posting that you want to.  What good are you going to be to yourself or to him if you can't stand it?  I know it seems very difficult, but you never married him.  Some may fault you for it, but from what you say about your sanity suffering, I don't think that you have a choice. I would read him the riot act about getting on an anti-depressant, that he needs to behave better, or you are not going to put up with it.  And try to get someone else to take him to therapy. See if the physical therapy place has any transportation available.  Some do. If he learns to function better, he may get a better attitude.  Wish you well.
He is capable of doing the exercises on his own but says he's in too much pain from the muscle spasms in his leg. Again, he can dress himself but complains of pain doing that as well. He (in my opinion) finds it easier to have someone help him. He has tools given to him (and he was shown how to use them) to help him get dressed and undressed but resists to do so because of pain. The neurologist gave him muscle relaxers to help him out but he really hates taking medicine (which is a struggle to get him to take). Anti-depressants would be great if they weren't in pill form considering his aversion to taking medicine, plus, when he took them while in the hospital, they did very little to change his demeanor. People keep telling me maybe the stroke has him showing his true colors and now he feels no need to censor his true feelings and actions. I do love him and want to work things out but dealing with offensive racism is driving me away. He has driven off his family and friends willing to help by being overbearing and not caring who's feelings he hurts with his words. His mother (who is disabled) does all she can but she has no car and no way of truly helping him physically. I have considered counseling for us, individually and as a couple, but time constraints on the schedule are hard. I am sure through prayer and meditation I will find the way. Thanks for your words of encouragement.
Thank you for sharing this. I find it very helpful as my friend is in recovery.  
I am in the same situation with my 89 yr old mother. 4 days ago she had a massive stroke on the right side and is paralyzed n the left arm and leg. She had to have a feeding tube put in today as she cannot swallow. She talks with slurred speech but comprehends completely. Do not know if she has any type of vision at this time. Anyone have similar experiences?
My mom had a stroke on Mothers Day. She is 81. No movement on the right side even though she had the tpa within 4 hours. She can swallow a bit.She will give one word answers. Her rehab will end in two weeks. I hate to go the nursing home route. I wished she was home but I can't lift her. Until she can scoot her trunk and lift up herself, I fear back trouble. I keep hoping for improvement. This is in Lexington KY and the doctors there aren't into robotics.
If you're still around here, I'm wondering how are you doing?  To not even take medication is being very obstinate.  I hope that you are not staying in a destructive relationship if it still is one.  Wish you the best.
i had my stroke february 23rd 2013 and i can close my right hand but the opening part is the trickiest