Stroke Community
regaining speech after a stroke

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

regaining speech after a stroke

My mother is 69 and had a stroke about three months ago. She is now in a rehab and has not made a lot of progress. She lost her speech after the stroke but is now able to whisper her words. She whispers quite softly but if you put your ear by her mouth she speaks clearly. She has been to an ENT doctor and there is no damage to her vocal chords. Her speech pathologist does many exercises to improve her strength but nothing seems to work. The doctors and the therapists cannot understand why she cannot voice anything. Does anyone have a similar experience or any advice?? I would do anything to help my MOM!!
Perhaps this may help you
http://www.asha.org/public/speech/disorders/Stroke.htm
Your mom's stroke may have damaged some speech centers that provide her with the ability to utilize her voice mechanisms.  It may simply take some time for her to recover but it may be a long road.  Don't give up just yet!
My 75 yr old mother had a left cerebral artery stroke in Feb. she recovered with a minimal speech defect. 10 days ago she had a right cerebral artery infarct, when PT dropped below therapeutic levels (A-"Fib)  she is extremely sleepy, however we have seen some bright spots, as today she smiled, and did verbalize wanting to go home. She opens her eyes slightly to commands. Each day seems a little stronger, yet has a long way to go.  The facility that she is at suggested hospice care, yet we do not feel 10 days is long enough to  allow any healing. Is 10 days anyway an indication of the possible results?  Should we see improvement somewhere in the next few months?  Thanks very much.
I know exactly how you feel my mom had a stroke back in Nov and she had a massive stroke that inmpaired her speech greatly. But we work with her every single day. We do voice exercises. There is a device that helps strengthen the throat muscles it is called the breather made by alimed inc. It was given to me b a speech therapist I work with. It has different breathing exercises you do and it really does help. There is also a push and pull technique that works that your therapist may be familiar with that helps also. My mother is a miracle. We work with her daily. My dad does all therapy's with her and works with her everday all day long and she is now walking with help of 1 person and a walker. She has improved her speech alot. Another thing that is helped is a dvd we bought through Bungalow speech therapies they have different programs. They are awsome and has helped tremendously. YOu can download some of these programs free on the internet on the bungalow website. Hope this helps and encourages others. Alot of dedication, time ,understanding, and love will see you through and most of all alot of hard work on a daily basis.