Stroke Community
stroke/ morphine relation
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

stroke/ morphine relation

Does anyone know FOR SURE if morphine can cause a stroke? My grandmother had one after her dr's wrote her off and kept her on morphine for weeks. I have heard that it could but I need an answer from someone who knows for sure, not just thinks. Thanks, Kim
Related Discussions
144586_tn?1284669764
The answer is possibly.

Morphine is a systemic vasodilator. That is to say, it increases body capacitance by widening all the blood vessels.

If there is a pre-existing leak, and the blood vessel feeding that leak is widened, and the blood pressure is high enough, there will be more blood flow to that area.

If the blood is leaking into the brain, this could cause a "stroke".

I don't think this is a likely scenario.

Now if a blood vessel were severed completely, morphine would "make the pipe bigger" and more blood would flow out.

Strokes, as you know, can be caused by clots or bleeds.

I don't know the exact type of stroke your grhad.

Theoretically, a clot that was confined, could be loosened as the blood vessel widened due to the morphine and travel to a place where it could occlude blood supply to another area.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Stroke Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank