Stroke Community
stroke and the challenge ahead

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

stroke and the challenge ahead

My dad, a 92 years old man residing in Athens Greece suffered a stroke of unidentified type and size (small, medium or large) on Dec.25.2011 ie, Christmas day.  Despite his advanced age, he has had no other serious medical problems and his heart system has been good.
He was taken to the A&E department of the local public hospital. Following his assessment, one of the worst in its kind, he was admitted in the hospital. He was left-side paralysed with speech difficulties and with no ability to eat and drink.  He also gradually fell to coma - long sleep.  The doctors placed him on conservative therapy.  Needless to mention that the care-system in Athens, Greece is one of the worst of its kind among the countries-members of EU and the wider world, anyhow.  Around 10 days later, he developed a lung infection due to poor attention and care received by the clinicians, who subsequently placed him on a respirator and provided him with a medication to make him sleep - the word 'sleep' may not be the
right term.  He stayed there for 8 whole days because of the shortage of ICU beds, or perhaps due to an implicit discrimination against the most vulnerable people, the frail elderly patients.
My dad was tranferred to an ICU bed and has been there for 8 days.  His chest condition has improved.  The medication used to make him 'sleep' to help the clinicians run their interventions has been taken off i.e., the patient is no longer under the influence of any such medication. He has also had a CT. He is on the respirator and also fed through tubes. Despite this, his neurological remains unaltered.  
Could you please be kind enough to offer me your feedback on his likely recovery, prognosis and the possible clinical outcome I would appreciate it very much.
Thanks so much.

P.S. People in Greece die because those involved in the organisation and delivery of healthcare services, on average and as a rule, failto provide appropriate, relevant and safe care to the patients.