Stroke Community
stroke at 20

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

stroke at 20

Im 20 years old and just had a stroke on december 26th. I have lupus anticoagulant. Im just wondering my chances of having another stroke and how rare it is for someone my age to have them.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

About ⅓  of strokes which occur are in the younger age group. And this number is increasing due unhealthy habits like smoking, an increase in the diabetes, hypertension and hyperlipidemia status in younger adults. What you had could be an ischemic stroke. If the primary cause, namely the lupus anticoagulant is inadequately controlled, then the thrombus formation can occur anywhere in the body. So, proper initiation and monitoring of anti coagulant therapy is mandatory.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.