Stroke Community
stroke recovery rate

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

stroke recovery rate

My father had a double bypass and new value surgery on Dec 11.  He moved out of ICU and was recovering great until he had his stroke on the fourth day.  He was moved back to ICU and is still there 19 days later.  My Dad had a left brain stroke - he is unable to talk, communicate or move his right hand.  His consciousness is foggy most of the time.  He moved his right foot slightly yesterday.  He got a lung infection, which has cleared and has some breathing difficulties.  He shows some recognition of visitors.  

My father was the primary caregiver for my mother before this happened.  Everyone continues to tell us to have patients and keep up your hopes.  However, the longer he continues with very little progress the more concerned we become. My question is:  Has anyone had a similar stroke situation and what was the eventual outcome/recovery?

Sorry to hear about your father, this is devastating for any family.   It sounds like your father had a moderate size stroke which affected his language as well as some control of his right side.   It has been a long time since his stroke and he has not been in great shape this whole type - fighting infections, etc.   So he didn't really get a chance to recover to his full potential.  
Having said that, this type of stroke often results in significant disability.   However, the hope is since he can move his leg slightly, that if his understanding comes back somewhat, he will be able to rehabilitate a little and, possibly, even walk.   Usually, you should see the maximum rate of improvement over the first 3 months or so after a stroke.   If not much happens, it is very unlikely that any significant improvement will continue beyond that point.   This, however, only given that he remains medically healthy.  

I would say don't lose hope but look at things realistically the way they are today.   Listen to what the doctors are telling you and see what would be the most appropriate place for him once he is good enough to leave the hospital.   There is a lot of work and care that will be required for him until such time if and when he can take some care of himself.    A place with a very good nursing care is his best bet for recovery right now.  Once he's more interactive -- a more acute rehabilitation place may be in order.

good luck and stay strong.
Vega,

Thanks, I appreciate your comments and suggestions.  My father needs to have his feeding tube extended into his small intestines to better digest his food.  Hopefully he will get out of ICU later this week and then to long term care with some rehab and therapy.  I've spoken with OT and PT and I've started working with his arms and legs to keep some movement going.

Still trying to remaining optimistic.

thanks.
My husband had a cva last Jan.  During his therapy session we saw some great miracles.  Just make sure he stays motivated, and his therapists are stroke rehab therapists.  God bless
Marlio
ny dada had a massive stroke they said his pons were destroy he's been on a vent for 19 days wat should we do now
Stroke rehabilitation, or, in more optimistic terms, stroke recovery, is the process by which patients with disabling strokes undergo treatment to help them return to normal life as much as possible by regaining and relearning the skills of everyday living.
For most stroke patients, the rehabilitation process includes nursing, occupational therapy (OT), physical therapy (PT), therapeutic recreation (TR) and speech therapy (or speech language therapy, SLP). OT involves exercise and training to help the stroke patient relearn everyday activities, sometimes called the Activities of daily living (ADLs), such as eating and drinking, dressing, bathing, cooking, reading and writing, and toileting. Therapeutic recreation works on several areas including problem solving, improving movement and re-entry into the community through familiar, new, and adaptive leisure skills.
Stroke rehabilitation can last from a few days up to several months.Most return of function is seen in the first few days and weeks and then falls off, if only traditional OT, PT, TR and SLP are used. In contrast, brain repair, neurogenesis, and neural rewiring can eventually be enhanced significantly medically long after this short therapeutic window.
ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroke_rehabilitation
Hope you find this information useful.
my dad age 86 had a massive stroke a few days ago...he know who we all are and even tries to say our names and follows commands with head nods. the problem that scares me is that his heart still fibrillates from time to time - they are trying digoxin for that.  he is on a ventilator and recovering from pneumonia - he can't swallow, but can talk when the ventilator isn't in - it is gargled, but often understandable.  he is on a feeding tube and saline...is there any hope ? the drs. paint a grim picture.  i know his age is against him, but he has always been strong and determined - his ECG showed very little abnormalities...he does have heart disease.  will he ever get out of icu ? any comments welcome.thanks rm