Stroke Community
stroke rehabilation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

stroke rehabilation

my mom had a stroke in the month of may 2010.now she can walk with support and her is not moving please tell me any tretments are there which recovers my mother that she can walk independently.
Rekha
Since I post in numerous forums and there are lots of questions on what to do next I came up with this standard response. Of course this does contradict what you will hear from your medical staff; 'All strokes are different, all stroke recoveries are different.'

There is no theoretical basis for stroke rehab, you are basically on your own.
The whole problem here is that the medical world does not have any clue as how to approach getting stroke survivors back to full recovery. They are hoping that your spontaneous recovery in 6-12 months is enough to satisfy you. What needs to be done is idenfify the penumbra and those functions, these are helped by standard therapy protocols because you still have a limited ability to  do those functions and repetition will help recover them. The second part is to identify the dead brain area and the functions they covered. This requires a totally different approach, mainly you need to neuroplastically move those functions to another part of your brain. Some therapies than might be able to accomplish that are; mental imagery, passive movement, mirror-box therapy, thermal therapy. I would say your crucial answer is to completely understand neuroplasticity and find therapists who understand how to do that. But what the hell do I know, I'm just a stroke-addled survivor,
Dean