telephone stroke
I suffered 3 minor strokes in Jan 08, i was advised from my consultant, that it was probably caused by using the phone for prolonged periods over a number years with it wedged between my ear and shoulder, i would really appreciate any info on this subject or where i can obtain some advice.
Thanks in advance
Paul
I found it noted in a medical paper - a summary quoted here:
"Ischemia and infarction of the brain stem can occur if an abnormal posture of the neck is sustained for more than 10 minutes.2  These problems have been reported after chiropractic neck manipulation,3  protracted dental work, intubation, perimetry and x-ray positioning2  and have been described in "beauty parlour stroke syndrome."4  Given the temporal relation between the prolonged telephone conversation and the stroke, and exclusion of other causes, this man's right pontine infarct was probably the result of compression of the ipsilateral vertebral artery during the phone call. He had kept his neck bent to the right side throughout the conversation, which caused compression of the already calcified right vertebral artery and resulted in stroke.

This case illustrates another situation in which a person may unconsciously keep the neck in an abnormal position that could cause compression or occlusion of the vertebral circulation. Anyone who talks on the telephone for prolonged periods, especially elderly people, should consider changing sides frequently or using a hands-free telephone to avoid sustained provocative neck positions."