Stroke Community
tongue swelling after hemorrhagic stroke

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

My mom had an hemorrhagic stroke 2 months ago and 2 days later her tongue had became so swollen and it's protruding out of her mouth, the doctors has no clue what the cause is, maybe I should say they're not trying to get a clue, I believe it may be an allergic reaction to one of the ace inhibitor she's taking, I ask the doctor if she's able to take steroids to see if it will maybe help. I'm not sure if it's painful because she's not fully alert she opens her eyes and respond to some commands she has a trach but she try to move her mouth as if she's trying to speak, have anyone ever experienced this and did the tongue ever get back to normal.

Thank You
Hi, I'm sorry I have no answers regarding this matter but am very curious to see the answers from others - because my grandfather's tongue is swelling as well. It's not to the point of protruding out of his mouth, but it looks bigger than usual. I was thinking maybe perhaps it's because there's no ability to control the tongue like before, or probably an allergic reaction to his medications. I'm sorry about your mom, hope we can get answers from the professionals about this.
Hello, I finally got the doctors to give my mom steroids and it seems to be working the swelling is going down but her tongue is still out of her mouth I concluded that she is unable to control the muscles in her tongue, i'm still researching, I will keep you updated, I pray for a speedy recovery for your grandfather.
Go Willa, I was just online doing some research wondering if you found out anything about your mom's condition. I have a cousin who has the same condition. She is 50 and had a stroke as well. what I found was that the ortho surgeon put a biteblock in to relieve the pressure of her teeth from biting into her tongue. IT WENT DOWN SIGNIFICANTLY! It was almost to the point of her talking again. then her daughter had the blocked removed aand her tongue swelled back up still no new information are u having any success?
I still don't know whats causing the swelling in my mom's tongue, I have been researching for 9 months the doctors are of little help, there are days when the tongue looks smaller but it soon swells again, I have asked the doctor about a mouth piece I just recently ask him to have a dentist to look at her because I do believe her teeth is  cutting into her tongue and causing an infection, is your cousin taking high blood pressure medicine? It's a known factor that ace inhibitor can cause swelling of the tongue, keep me updated....
My mother recently had a hemorrhagic stroke and has the same issue where her tongue is extremely swollen and protruding out of her mouth. Her doctors also do not have a clue. I know it has been a while since your post but did your mom's tongue ever get back to normal? I really feel like my mom is making great progress and would improve dramatically if we could just figure out how to alleviate the swelling that has taken place in her tongue.