understanding pain a year later
My significant other had a Hemorrhagic Stroke affecting the Lower Left Posterior Thalamic.  A year later he has no feeling in this right side, he can walk, use his right arm and hand but has no feeling.  He complains of pain all the time in his right side.  He is on pain medicine OXYCODONE HCL 5 MG 1m but it only seems to help for about 3 hours.
Is this normal, does this pain feeling ever go away?
My husband had the same exact stroke. He complains of severe pain also. After doing much research and trying to understand why he has pain in a place that he has no feeling, I found that neuropathic pain is very real to the stroke victim, expecially those who had hemoragic strokes in the thalmus as the thalmus controls our pain. My husband is on 900 mg of Lyrica which seems to keep his pain at bay but leaves him a virtual non person. Sleeping all the time. He has no pain but he has no life either. When he is awake he is obsessively worrying about the house being clean. I have to work so he is home all day trying to do things that he really can't do well. I have to clean everything when I get home. He tries to do the laundry but doesn't do a great job of it and is exhausted when he does 1 load. His OCD is tearing me up. The Lyrica is taken 300mg 3 x's per day and he falls asleep for two hours after each administration of the drug. I am responding to you to tell you you are not alone. Hang in there and know that we are out there dealing with the same things as you and praying for you too.