Stroke Community
vascular ischemic disease

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

vascular ischemic disease

I am writing concerning answers I can't seem to get anywhere. My sister was diagnosed last year with Vascular Ischemic Disease. The doctor she used told the family she has diseased arteries ( the small ones) in the front and back of her brain, and they looked, then, to be those of an 80 or 90 year old woman. He said, (at the time,she had a stroke and if she didn't have another, she would eventually have dementia). He also told us he would treat it aggressively. He has her on several medications and aspirin, daily.

She has been doing pretty well until this month. I think she had another stroke a few days ago. I could not get her to go to the doctor. Is there medical treatment, (such as surgeries) that can be done? She is 56 yrs. old, and very active.
My mom is going through a similar situation.  Her blockages, though, are the four main arteries that lead into the brain, and recently had some episode, and now has a very unsteady gait, but seems to be improving some.  Her MRI also showed significant white matter disease, probably due to poor circulation, and her thinking is not clear sometimes.  She was just evaluated for possible stenting of the carotids and a vertebral artery, but the arteriogram showed that the carotids aren't blocked enough for stenting, and we are currently debating with various doctors whether or not stenting the vertebral would be beneficial.  She might also have a neurological component going on with this as well with the vestibular nerve, so it's a little complicated.

If your sister's arterial disease is just with the small vessels, I am not sure stenting is an option.  But, if the doctor(s) haven't mentioned that, you might want to ask.  Other than stenting, I am not sure if anything more can be done, other than to treat her with meds.  My mom was just taken off of Plavix and a baby aspirin and put on Aggrenox, which, I have read is given to people that have sustained a stroke or TIA.

Best wishes to you and your sister...