Stroke Community
what kind of doctor to see about strokes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

i am trying to find out what kind of doctor to see my step dad had a stroke and it affected one hole side and he has to stay near a bathroom because he has no control with his bowls he needs thearpy but we don't know what kind if anyone can help give us some info it would be great. thanks alot
my email is ***@****
I strongly recemmend that you take your father to see his primary doctor for a referral to a neurologist.  Of course, he needs therapy (occupational and/or physical therapy), and the therapist can help him with bowel/bladder control.  You need to get on it immediately.

Don't despair, there is help out there.  But, taking from my own personal experienes, you must be pro-active.  Good Luck.
THANKS VERY MUCH FOR THE INFO
The best thing initially is a professional stroke rehabilitation center, with an organized rehab program, or a temporary rehab nursing facility.
my husband has had 6 strokes.hes been sleeping a lot lately,any advise?
hi, as an occupational therapist I should say that the best choice is going to a physiatrist. he will tell you what kind of therapies are needed for rehabilitation.
When you go see a doctor, ask s/he these questions;
Questions should include,
How many patients has he/she seen fully recovered and what did they do to recover? This is not the ADL recovery.
What clinical trials are going on right now that the patient would be a good candidate for?
What treatment options have been discovered in the last 5-10 years? This is to determine if he/she is up-to-date or if you will have to do all this research yourself.
Who are the best therapists working in your clinic for stroke rehabilitation and why do you consider them to be the best?
What books on stroke recovery do you recommend?
What internet sites/forums do you consider best for stroke patients? There are at least 15 out there.