Success Stories Community
A MedHelp Success Story

This is the place to share your successes with others. Some ideas for success stories: How has Med Help helped you? Have you found someone who has the same symptoms as you? Have you discovered a treatment that worked for you? Do you have parenting “tips” for other parents? Please include any details about your success you think will be helpful to others.

A MedHelp Success Story

As one of the CLs on the Pain Management Forum and a long time Chronic Pain patient myself I respond to posts and try to help.  As a member of the medical field I want to be as accurate as possible with my responses; therefore I often spend hours researching medications, treatments, symptoms and so forth.

Recently this appeared on the PM Forum. http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Pain-Management/Does-any-know-if-protonix-can-cause-neck-and-shoulder-blade-pain/show/1664632

My initial thought was "no" a Protein Pump Inhibitor certainly can't cause this significant of pain.  In the back of my mind I am thinking that I had been on one for years and though I had some unexplained painful symptoms, certainly they were not related to this!

My hands were swelling so severely that I could not bend them some days and it was difficult to use my computer. X-rays show no arthritic or inflammatory processes. Physicians have been unable to explain why this has occurred and was getting progressively worse for several years. So I've just lived with it. I also developed muscle twitching last summer that cannot be explained and I've just live with that.

So I began my search for the above question. I read article after article and found several respected studies. The plain truth Protein Inhibitors can and do cause troublesome symptoms including muscle twitching and pain and swelling of extremities. Based on the above post and my research I changed the medication I use for my extreme GERD to a non-Protein Pump Inhibitor.

I can tell you that thus far at least 90% of the pain and swelling in my hands and fingers is GONE! The muscle twitching that I have experienced for six months has decreased. These symptoms were not part of the Chronic Pain that has disabled me... but any reduction in pain and increase of function is a God Sent! ... and in this case a MedHelp Sent!!

I can't tell you if the muscle twitching will continue to decrease but if not at least I can use my hands without pain and with much better dexterity. This may not be true for everyone... so Please no one should discontinue a medication because of my results... talk to your physician if you think your symptoms may be related to your medication(s).

In short because of this site, MedHelp... I found a solution to very troublesome and painful symptoms that confounded several physicians and surgeons. I say this so often, we all learn from one another.

Thanks for listening to a very Happy MedHelp Member!! ....And Thank You MedHelp for providing this site!

Peace,
~Tuck
"Tuckamore"
Community Leader, Senior Health, Caregivers, Pain Management
That's wonderful ..wow what a story also gives others hope aswell...I agree with you about Med Help I see many folks helped here mostly by other members and of course the experts. People really seem to care I guess they wouldn't be here if they didn't ..
I am happy for you hope I get a good result also for my self.