Success Stories Community
FIRST PART OF OUR STORY

This is the place to share your successes with others. Some ideas for success stories: How has Med Help helped you? Have you found someone who has the same symptoms as you? Have you discovered a treatment that worked for you? Do you have parenting “tips” for other parents? Please include any details about your success you think will be helpful to others.

FIRST PART OF OUR STORY

Christmas miracles do happen, even in Clarksdale. If you look at 15-year-old Johnny Buster today, you would never think he couldn't walk just one month ago.
..> ..>  Those who know Johnny, however, realize the tremendous pain he has been, through for the past four years.[WRONG- IT WAS SIX YEARS}
His parents, Jerry and Chrystal Buster, have something to be very thankful for this holiday season.
"He was born normal, ran and walked," said Chrystal. "In 2000,{wrong- it was-AT THE YEAR 1998] he started to show symptoms. He started to walk strange, amongst other things."
For years, no doctors could tell Chrystal what was wrong with her son.
"I researched for hours," she said. "We had many different doctors at three major hospitals in Memphis. We finally found the doctor we wanted."
However, before a major test could be performed, Greenwood Dr. David Madden died in a car crash.
"Of course, that set Johnny back and the search was back on," Chrystal said.
Finally, the Busters found the right doctor in Noel Frizzell in Memphis. But, on April 2, 2002,{WRONG-AT THE  END of YEAR 1998} little Johnny could no longer walk.
"It was his birthday but he never questioned it," his mother said. "To not be able to help your child is so horrible."
It was finally discovered that Johnny suffered from a rare syndrome called Transverse Myelitis,{.{He also did not mention Johnny has Multiple Sclerosis}
similar to Multiple Sclerosis.
"He will always have the disease," Chrystal said..{Here should have been put neither disease is curable} But he still wrote a good article and we appreciated it.

Little by little, Johnny pushed himself to get better. First, he was able to turn over by himself. Then, he slowly began to learn how to crawl and eventually made it into a wheelchair.
"He refused an electric wheelchair," his mother said. "He had a horrible debilitating pain that went away after eight months. Eventually, he was able to push himself in the chair."
Throughout it all, Johnny said he never lost heart.
"I knew I was disabled," he said. "But, what would my friends think if I always went around sad, angry and holding my head down?"
The Busters said everyone in town supported Johnny during his tribulation.
"People all over town were so good," Chrystal said. "People at First United Methodist Church built him a ramp and 10 pound titanium wheelchair..{It was not first Methodist who had his wheelchair made, it was the State University, for disabilities, they came and measured Johny for his very own 10 pound Titanuim wheelchair made in California}  Another group donated crutches."."{Special crutches called forearm crutches}
Lots of people also prayed for him, she said.
"He got letters and cards from churches and all the grades at Lee Academy," she said. "We thank everybody so much for their help. There are still such good people in this world."
State Rep. John Mayo also sent his best wishes.
However, all that help seemingly could not get Johnny to walk again.
It was a chance encounter with Pete Berry at Bear's Gym that ultimately led to Johnny's first steps.
"He had a big interest in me," Johnny said. "I asked him if there were any exercises I could do and he showed me a few..{Now, this was after five years of physical therapy-four hours every day!}  Pete is one of the reasons why I am walking today."
Johnny said he slowly improved, moving from machine to machine while holding on to them.
He then could freely move around a little. Now, he's playing basketball.
"It's hard to believe that a few months ago he couldn't walk," his mother said.
"He still falls, but his attitude and determination are wonderful."
Johnny said he feels at home at the gym now.
"It's like a family," he said. "I want to thank all the staff at Bear's. It really is a miracle."
Chrystal said the doctors don't promise anything, but she still has faith.
"God healed him," she said. "All the prayers and kindness helped too."
Chrystal said she is still searching, looking for a cure for her son.{I KNEW THERE WAS NO CURE,I JUST REASERCHED ON TO BE WITH EVERYTHING OF JOHNNY'S ILLNESSES}
"I don't understand why it happened," she said. "But, you have to keep trying, looking and searching. Never give up."
Johnny said he thanks everyone who helped him.
"People have made it a lot easier," he said. "Sometimes, I got tired of them asking if I was mad about what happened. It was hard enough without people making me want to feel sorry for myself."
Johnny said he never saw the use in getting depressed about his condition.
"You can't just sit back and feel sorry for yourself or expect people to feel sorry for you," he said. "I want to thank my mom and dad for helping me out and sticking by me."
Chrystal said it was a struggle when he first got sick..{I did not much like this sentence, it was only a struggle of the heart and sadness!}
"Life throws you curves sometimes," she said. "Once, we were just a normal family worrying about being late to school and work. You just have to keep going.
"Everybody said to us that we were helping," she said. "But, we couldn't see that. We wanted to be able to help, but couldn't do it."
Chrystal said Johnny is still making people cry, but these are tears of joy.
"Now, they cry because they are happy," she said. "Sometimes I have got to take a double look to make sure it is really him walking next to me. Nobody recognizes him now."
Johnny hopes to return to Lee Academy next year, where he will be a sophomore.
He currently home schools and delivers food for Bear's Deli.{OF COURSE, NOW JOHNNY WORKS AT "THE RANCH" A FAMILY RESTUARANT HERE, PLANS FOR A WEDDING ONE DAY AND HE IS ENGAGDED TO MEGAN STRANGE.EDUCATION ALSO WILL BE CONTINUED}