Success Stories Community
Head pain and barometric pressure

This is the place to share your successes with others. Some ideas for success stories: How has Med Help helped you? Have you found someone who has the same symptoms as you? Have you discovered a treatment that worked for you? Do you have parenting “tips” for other parents? Please include any details about your success you think will be helpful to others.

Head pain and barometric pressure

Hi everyone. First of all, those of you who suffer head pains and get the "pass off" from your doctors have my greatest empathy. Two years ago, my husband had a sudden onset of atypical "migraines" after he had a severe sinus infection breach into his brain, causing meningitis. All of his life he had sinus issues from allergies, but that particular infection was "pushed" by a sudden increase in barometric pressure from crossing over a high mountain pass. After that, every time the air pressure would drop suddenly from weather changes(frequent here in Western WA), his face/head pain would start like a cluster headache with his upper molars aching on one side, then the facial nerve would get involved and he'd have trigeminal neuralgia, tinnitis, one eye would blur, and he often lost the hearing in one ear. And then the global head pain would come on. All abortive medications except Maxalt would fail to work, and even Maxalt didn't work all of the time. His attacks would last hours to days, sometimes bad enough that he was vomiting and suicidal from the pain level. After seeing two neurologists, one useless psychiatrist, two ENT Drs, and his own GP I don't know how many times, (Oh, and the 23 different prescriptions over that time period) he finally was seen by an ENT-Neurologist who specialized in barotrauma and other unique afflictions. I am happy to say, the surgeon found 2 large mucoid cysts in his sinuses that had "sealed off" (they're supposed to drain most of the time) from scar tissue, and had become such a problem they were putting significant pressure from within his sinus cavities and on his facial nerve. These were removed along with some bone to widen the area. It has been 2 months since the surgery, and no head pain. Not even a bobble. I'm posting this with the hopes it can help some other poor soul who has been stamped as a "psych" patient simply because a doctor couldn't come up with a cause of his Pain. May you all be forever protected against the "quackery" he experienced...(((((((((HUGZ))))))))~MM
That is indeed good news medicmommy, for your husband ,it was good of you to post this here as it is the way folks get information and it may help someone going through similar ..it shows you that you have to persist ,dont  give up when they dont know what is going on , sounds like he found his' House'   best of luck to you both ,this is indeed a success story thank you ...