Success Stories Community
Ulcerative colitis

This is the place to share your successes with others. Some ideas for success stories: How has Med Help helped you? Have you found someone who has the same symptoms as you? Have you discovered a treatment that worked for you? Do you have parenting “tips” for other parents? Please include any details about your success you think will be helpful to others.

Ulcerative colitis

Almost 3 years ago now I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. I was only 18 when I started getting symptoms. I had went to doctors and emergency rooms within a week but they all told me it was a stomach flu. I wish it was that simple. Eventually I got admitted. If you don't know what ulcerative colitis is, it's ulcers in the lining on your large intestine. Mine were so bad medication didn't help and I almost died. After a month of being in one hospital they sent me to another hospital in a different city where I had to get a surgery to remove my large intestine. At first I was upset because I had a colostomy bag and what 18 year old girl wants that? I spent about 4 months in the hospital that time. In the next year I finished high school and had my second surgery. I had trouble with being self conscious and being careful that I had thick shirts and/or sweaters so you couldn't see my ilieostomy bag on my stomach. Finally this year I got my last surgery and got rid of that iliostomy bag and I feel like a completely different person now. In a way I'm glad I went through this because it taught me life can be hard at times but you have to cope and move on the best you can. I just feel like a stronger person now and that if I got through that, I can make it through an problem I face. Sometimes you can't fix it as fast as you want but eventually it gets better.
Goodness you did go through a lot but you have won through, bet that feels good .I often think adversity makes us stronger ...great story ..good for others to realise they can also win through hard times ...