Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Community
Baby Monitor to Prevent SIDS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to SIDS, back sleeping, bedding, breastfeeding, genetics, pacifiers, prenatal care, and prevention.

Baby Monitor to Prevent SIDS

I don't understand why more parents don't purchase the baby monitor that beeps if your baby doesn't move (breathe, move, etc.) for more than 20 seconds.  It isn't that expensive, only $75, especially when you compare it to the life of your little one.  I used the monitor from day one.  It was such a load off my mind.  I know it works because I have had a few false alarms - my DD moved to the edge of the crib and the pad (under her mattress) couldn't pick up the sensitivity of the movement of breathing.

I couldn't imagine losing my DD - more research needs to be done!
I think that is a great idea. If i get pregnate again.... i would get that for sure no price could compare to the loss of your little one!
Where do you get that at?
I bought my at walmart... You can find it online at walmart.com
It is called the BebeSounds Angelcare Movement Sensor and Sound Monitor
with one sound monitor - http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2620238
with two sound monitors - http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5633501
I wish I had had a monitor like that in 1983, my 9 week old son Matthew died. The doctors said it wasnt sids but, I dont think they knew what killed him...Personally, I think that I had the Strep B in my system, and at that time they never checked pregnant women for that...nor did they do a glucose tolerance test, to check for gestational diabetes...which now I know that I had....go figure..If I had had a monitor like this, then maybe I would still have my baby Angel Matt.....
I will say a prayer to my mommy, she is in heaven... I will tell her to find your angel and rock him in a rocking chair... Mom loved rocking babies!
Unfortunately, even the machine will not save a child from SIDS. SIDS is instantaneous, there is no coming back from that. I've done so much research on it since my best friend lost her little girl in June of 2006. She has since had another little girl who is on an Apnea monitor now, but even the doctor told her, the machine is not going to save a child.
I'm 9 weeks pregnant w/number 1 right now. You know, I almost died a couple times... My mom said I actually FORGOT to breath, she witnessed it. Once at the hospital and once at home.

She jostled me to wake me up/make me breath and it worked. I'm pretty worried about this little one  and we really want a girl. I've heard that they say to place a baby on it's back to sleep.

Does anyone know if this really works well?  I plan on getting a movement monitor. I've got a baby monitor from my mom that lights up w/noise. but that's all.

Thnx Cindie
I respectfully disagree with you... There is "coming back" from SIDS.  Just like people come back from stopping breathing everyday.  They say that SIDS is caused from the baby "forgetting" to breathe... Like Martikadragoon said, I think that if the monitor went off, and you were able to jostle the baby, or even do CPR, you would have a chance at saving the baby...
.
My cousin was sent home from the hospital with a monitor, the hospital also trained her parents in neonatal CPR prior to releasing her to their care. The hospital had been able to detect with there equipment a decline in respirations, then a cessation of all respiration wich lead to a rapid deceleration in heart rate- with no apparent cause, this progression of events if it had gone undetected in the home would have become a SIDS death.  Obviously they were able to ressucitate her, and arm her parents with the skills to do the same.  Therefore it is entirely possible to save a baby- the trouble with SIDS is it often strikes with out warning, prior-disposition, and at times when the baby is not being closely monitored (everyone sleeps)... If you can't catch SIDS while it is happening then you can't save the baby- but if you CAN catch it you will have a beautiful 12 year old girl like my cousin.
I lost a beautiful 8 week old daughter to SIDS in 1984.  As I was told at the time, there is no way for an autopsy to differentiate between an apnea death and a SIDS death.  I did go on to have another daughter in 1988 and she was placed on an apnea monitor at the hospital which came home with her.  The respiratory therapists that did my training with the monitor cautioned me that the monitor would only let me know that breathing had paused.  If it were caused by apnea, stimulation would help.  However, if true SIDS - there would not be anything that can be done.  Problem is, both apnea deaths and SIDS deaths are determined when there are no other obvious causes to point to.  At the time of my daughter's death, one of the cops that came told me that her son died in her arms while she was rocking him.  She had all the CPR training and everything but there was no bringing him back.  I wish there were an answer and i wish there were more hope, but it seems cruel to make people think there was some chance *if they just hadn't been asleep* or *in the other room*.  20+ years later, those questions still haunt me even without the interjections of others.
Not to burst anyones bubble. The research that I have read on these monitors suggest they are not always able to catch a baby who stops breathing due to SIDS. The best thing to do especially if you have lost one baby is make sure that your doctor sends home an apnea machine for the first 6-12 months. I honestly think every parent should be sent home with an apnea machine no matter what the condition healthy or unhealthy. The monitors are a good because they give you that extra comfort, but an apnea machine would be so much more comforting for parents. Wouldnt you think??
I have an angel care monitor as well far walmart, i payed 120.00 dollars for it. I got it after my sisters baby passed away on july 12. and iam telling you i have a peice of mind with that, we tested it with our hand and it work. i think they are well worth the money, and some say it may not always work,. and i have read that in so many sites. and that maybe true, but least it gives us a peace of mind, and i do believe if they stop breathing, you have so long to save them. if that was not the case, paremedics wouldnt bother tryeding...
Thanks for the advice.. I just found out yesterday I am pregnant and reading on all sorts of stuff. I will keep that in mind.. Thank-you..
I had the angel monitor with dd, but we wound up co-sleeping so it wasn't an issue. With ds, he was breathing rapidly at first and the pulmonologist highly encouraged us to co-sleep because being near us would help his breathing regulate. With some minor modifications (no pillows, only a sheet, etc.) it's worked out beautifully and he's always right there in my arms (or now crawling on my face) but either way that was the reassurance I needed.
As suzola said, I was told the same thing when my son passed away.  If a child is going to die from SIDS, it is going to happen and there is nothing you can do to revive the child.  It truly baffles me.  All of my children since him have been on the apnea monitor till they were about 8 months old.  It helped me sleep to a degree, but I still wake up checking my kids.  This one will come home on a monitor too.
aprently you have so many minutes to save them, i was reading in a book. my sister has her check up tommrow. we are going to ask the doctor and see, i think its like 5 minutes or something
My son almost died in the hospital of SIDS while he was sleeping. They were able to recucitate him after 2 minutes. He turned black with his head arched back and his mouth open. It was the most frightening day of my life. I was given an apnea monitor although my son doesn't have apnea. It happened again at home at 3months. I was able to bring him back. Now my baby is 5 years old. I have another child and she needed assistance at the hospital while sleeping on her 2nd day. We now have a monitor for her. I feel confident that these monitors save babies. I know the idea that something could have been done to save a lost baby can haunt a mommy who lost one, but one must remember that you can not blame yourself for not acting on information that you did not have. As the saying goes "hindsight is 20/20".  With as much as we spend on our babies (toys,clothes, furniture) I think it is well worth the investment.
SIDS is a simultaneous shut down of the organs in an infants body, there is no reaction time, it isn't a forgetting to breathe thing, there is no prevention of SIDS. My niece passed of SIDS in April and we have been told there is absolutely nothing that could have been done once the body began the shutdown.
I am new to this site and was reading different forums here I came across this post and wanted to comment.  I have the angel pad your talking about I didnt get the monitor till I had my 2nd son, and I believe i got it after I gave birth to him but wanted it because I feared alot more with him then my first son.  You see my mother lost her 2nd born in 1967 to SIDS he was a healthy baby at 9 months old and just saw his pedi with a clean bill of health but she found him the next morning.  my 2nd babys name is jayden perry (Perry is my brothers name) I was born a year after him so I never knew him but i feel in my heart I do.  especially when i look at my boys.  Parents do not go through many months of pregnancy preparing for the babys death instead going through preparing for a long long with their baby.  You know the happy healthy thoughts we are suppose to have.  So i can completely understand why a parent wouldnt think to buy this machine and only people who have this fear would.  I never heard of it till i had my 2nd son and got it on ebay.  And to be quiet honest although it has given me peace of mind at night it didnt during the day when i was holding my son and he choked on his own breath and couldnt breath.  I think it its going to offer you more peach of mind then get it but remember its not going to save your childs life its only going to alert you if something is wrong.  I started to read some of these posts and i have to say i just couldnt even finish because i was getting so emotional my heart aches for these parents and my mother as well .. May God bless you all
so sorry for my typos....i meant to say

Parents do not go through many months of pregnancy preparing for the babys death instead going through preparing for a long life with their baby.  

I think if its going to offer you more peace of mind then get it but remember its not going to save your childs life its only going to alert you if something is wrong.

My daughter died of Cot Death 21 years ago.  More commonly known as SIDS.  

At the inquest the coronner explained that this cause of death is given when there appears to be no other reason for the child to die.  In other words they dont know what has caused it.  Because of this, maybe the thousands of children who have died of SIDS might have potentially died from different symptoms that the medical profession have yet to learn about, some which may you may be able to resuscitate, so you should never say never....xxx  nobody knows.

Most children who have died of SIDS werent actually on these monitors (like my baby).  Who knows she might be with us if I was alerted to the fact that she hadnt taken a breath for 15 seconds, as it happens Im not sure how long she had gone without a breath before I found her, it could have been up to an hour.  

If baby's are found hours, even minutes, after they have taken their final breath then yes, its unlikely that resuscitation will work, but if more mothers used these monitors then maybe one day someone may prove that there is a chance to resuscitate just as long as the child is found quickly.  

My second daughter had a mild apnea problem (at around 2 months old) which having a monitor meant I could keep prodding her to continue to breath.  Maybe my first child had a similar condition which could have been detected had she have had a monitor too.

What can I say, GET A MONITOR - YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOOSE AND EVERYTHNG TO GAIN....X
As the previous person stated, SIDS is when they don't know what else caused the babies death so you can't say that the babies system is shutting down and there is no coming back from that.  My son had a heart defect that was detected in utero - thank god because they said that babies can sometimes live for up to a month with this particular defect and once the baby starts to get bigger it's heart cannot support it anymore and they die from lack of oxygen.  My son was totally fine when he was born, his apgar was a 9 and all of his vitals were stable.  If I had not know about his condition he would have been sent home from the hospital and the doctors told me that within a month his heart would not have been able to supply enough oxygen to his body and his death would have just been chalked up to SIDS.  Yes they do perform an autopsy but it only shows MAJOR heart abnormalites and really when you think about it the body is very complicated and A LOT can go wrong.  A lot of children stop breathing for a few seconds while they are sleeping and what I have read and been told is that a child with true SIDS has something wrong with their brain and they cannot rouse themselves and begin to breathe on their own, they need to be startled or stimulated. I also have an angel care monitor and has brought me great peace of mind.  It works like a regular monitor too so why not be on the safe side.  If you read the reviews on amazon you will see that people have wrote in that it actually saved their child's life.  My heart goes out to everyone that has lost a child to SIDS or anything else - god bless.
The monitors don't prevent a death from SIDS, it only tells you your baby has died. Now if your baby had another problem and stopped breathing it could very well help. SIDS babies die and do not come back, there has never been a known case of revival of a SIDS death, it just doesn't happen. SIDS is the shut down of the body, it's like a light switch, only it doesn't turn back on. I know this after researching and keeping up on the new findings for 19 years, my daughter died way back then.
Babies can be saved if caught in time.  Our daughter just died 40 days ago.  She was 16 months old.  Don't think that once your baby turns one that the risk is over.  She died from SUDC which is basically SIDS for children 1-11.  It is less common and not known about to most parents.  Your children are still at risk.  An apnea monitor can save your child.  One of the best ones for little babies is Respisense.  It attaches to your baby so it can be used anywhere.  The angle care should be used until your child is out of the SUDC range.  Why take the chance?  It's better to spend $100 and have a chance to save your baby than to find them blue and cold in the morning.  With SIDS and SUDC the child goes to bed healthy.  The most common symptom that all parents say after losing a child to either SIDS or SUDC is complete silence on the monitor that night.  A sound monitor is not enough.  You also can't see if your baby is breathing on a video monitor.  You can only tell when they are moving.  I would pay anything to have my baby for one more day.  I wish all moms could understand how truly devastating it is and take every precaution they could even if it didn't work.  We still may have lost our daughter if we had an apnea monitor, but at least we would know that we took every precaution we could.  Please take that same precaution with your kids.
You cannot save a baby, Who may die from SIDS or SUDC. And even if you spend that money on the angel care monitor or the ones that clip, It clearly States on the box. You cant save a SIDS baby, You cant put them on life support and drive yourself in sane, while you watch your baby, hooked up to the monitors, thats it. im sorry to say, but if you could save a SIDS baby or SUDC CHILD. There would be alot more children here today. You can learn more when you go to SIDS Conferences, They tell you lots.
I don't really get these monitors.  Say the baby like gets some swaddle or something in their mouth and starts to choke on it.  Baby wakes and if choking bad enough cannot make noises to alert you via baby monitor but continues to wriggle around and fight.  The baby continues to wriggle until the lack of oxygen causes him/her to pass out right?  Detecting motion isn't going to help you here because by the time the movement has stopped for 10-30 seconds the baby is already oxygen deprived.  Lets say it was a 1 minute struggle, 20 seconds for the monitor to respond, 5 seconds to rouse the parent to awareness, 10 seconds to get to the child's room, then the time to find the object, remove it (either by fingers or 'back blows'), then most likely CPR.  It could be 3 or 4 minutes easy that the body was deprived of oxygen.  So much time could be saved if the child slept in the same room and near the mother (like in a crib or bassinet by her bed) because it is her instinct to constantly be unconsciously monitoring her baby for signs of stress.
If SIDS is a sudden unexplained death than I can't see how we can say it cannot be prevented...what can't be prevented? IF we don't even know what caused it, or what it is, how can we say it can't be prevented? SIDS is something, is caused by something, some sort of disorder in the brain/body that has yet to be identified, and if/when it's cause is found out, we should then get some ideas of how to prevent it. Wether SIDS is truely related to apnea we don't know, but if it is found that it is related to apnea, then these monitors surely would help. Even if it is a sudden shutting down of all body systems, something is causing that chain reaction to occur and there is some event preceding the shut down that could be identified, and therefore, possibly prevented...
I agree that IF a baby dies of SIDS then nothing to date could prevent the death.  However, babies do not all die of SIDS.  A lot of babies do die of apnea or other problem from which they could be revived.  So, a monitor should give a parent a level of peace.  The problem with these monitors is that they are basically cheaply made and not reliable.  With the technology that is available today someone will soon come out with a monitor that is more sophisticated.  For example, one claims it runs on batteries so no chance of electrocution... What?  Does the monitor that they send you home with from the hospital run on batteries? NO. Why? Because, the child could not be electrocuted by a low voltage source.  Who wants to change batteries every week or so and worry about them running down.  How about a monitor that has constant power and has battery backup?  I think the idea is good but come on your cell phone has more thought and technology behind it than these monitors.  I would buy one of these and will if I have another child, but I hope they improve before then even if they cost a little more.
If a baby dies of sids, can anyone tell me if they would have a bloddy nose?....a girl i know just lost her 3 month old baby and said the police took him out of her hands, because he had a bloddy nose and that it was not common with sids? If anyone knows this answer please tell me.  Thank you
well ,i am quite agree with you. Though it is very useful, but people don't buy one .such as a parking sensor.
My babies life was saved by one of these monitors, a tommee tippee one. She was just 4 days old when the monitor alearted mme to the fact she had stopped breathing. Due to this i was able to revive her and get her to the hospital. she had suffered an apnea due to a brain hemorrhage. If it had not been for the monitor we would have lost her. Every parent should have 1
I just wanted to say that I'm just sooo saddened from reading these posts and torn.  I just lost my lil Jonah Uriah on March 30, 2010....cause of death...unexplained death of a perfectly healthy baby boy :( :(  My husband and I previous to losing Jonah said we wouldn't have monitors, as it would only drive us crazy going off all the time that we wouldn't ever be able to sleep..yet I feel like I'm going crazy most days now! Jonah was our 3rd living child and we are expecting again, and I'm still torn on getting one of these angelcare monitors or Apnea machines, or being the Jesus Freak that I am know that God is the author and creator! Yet,  I'm still flesh, and feel sometimes that we also have new and updated technology that we could use and take advantage of..so I'm soo torn! My Jonah was at my parents house when he didn't wake up, my husband and I were minutes away still in town just trying to enjoy some alone quality time..just me and him, when we got the horrid phone call that I non-intentially replay daily in my mind :(  With this baby and my other babies, I just don't want to live in fear, and it's so very hard sometimes, but don't want to be sooo worried about losing any of them again, that I forget to live and enjoy them here and now.  To any parents out there, that have lost a child, my heart aches terribly with you, and please don't torture yourself thinking if you would have just bought this monitor that your baby/child would still be here...whether or not people on here say maybe...well... I guess maybe..but sometimes we play God.. and though some or most of you may not believe in God, I think there is a reason why its called SIDS, they can't explain why.  Perfectly healthy, full term, did all you knew how to protect them and keep them and yourself so healthy during pregnancy.  I believe that God is the creator of all the Earth, and no one can measure the depths of His understanding, he gives power to the weak, and strength to the powerless! I know I still have so many emotions that I struggle with daily, frustration, heartache, anguish, why!! But, I know heaven would not be near as amazing without my Jonah and your gorgeous babies either!  I just pray that monitor/apnea machine or neither, God keeps me from experiencing this ever again! In Jesus Name! Jonah Uriah.. your Mommy, Daddy, Levi, Noah & Zoe miss you sooo much it hurts! :( :( Noah (who just turned 3) asks Mommy almost every night during prayers, "Mommy, can Jonah just come back? I miss eem!"
I just read an article by a scientist and she warns that some baby monitors are not safe - the DECT baby monitors. It's on magdahavas.com and the article says that the Swiss Government only recommends voice activated baby monitors.
SIDS cannot be prevented you can only take measures to decrease the risk of it happening. It happened to my son Christmas Eve when he was being held by his grandmother. It does not necessarily mean "crib death", SIDS is the death of an infant under a yr of age in which an autopsy cannot determine a cause of death. We were there when it happened, he received CPR right away and it did not make a difference. Many doctors believe that even when a baby is found during the SIDS episode, and not after it has already happened, that their chances of being revived are low if any at all. So now I ask you what will the monitor really do? It might not help you save your baby...it will only give you piece of mind.
My son was revived....only it took roughly 40 minutes and he later passed from complications resulting from the lack of oxygen for such a long time. I wouldn't say that they can't be revived if it is SIDS, but in my son Isaiah's case, he wasn't revived in time not from lack of hospital staff trying or my mom who is a registered nurse. It is however a really touchy subject and since there is no right or wrong answer only theories it is only more painful to talk about as if it is some kind of arguement. We should be supporting each other.
kristine9190, No SIDS is not a "simultaneous shut down of the organs in an infants body."  It is a "Syndrome" which means there is no single known cause.  Sometimes it is a "forgetting to breath" apnea episode, other times it may be something like a heart-attack, a massive stroke or a sleeping position which makes the baby unable to breath fresh air.  Even if only 1% of SIDS babies can be saved with CPR or jostling them out of a breathless sleep, a breathing monitor would save thousands of lives.  The home devices are not medical devices, companies so companies are not allowed to make certain claims.  But for any infant, especially a premee, one with a bad cold or other risk factors, these are very useful safety devices, like a smoke detector or carbon monoxide alarm.
It's important to remember that even after 12 months a baby can still die from breathing related issues. My 16 month old son died a week before Christmas lying right between my husband and I. He just didn't wake up. This is SUDC (for over one year) and can occur up till the age of 11.
Many people have already commented, correctly, that SIDS cannot be prevented. I lost my 5 month old daughter to SIDS last year. While the monitors are great as they can be used for peace of mind, they do NOT prevent a SIDS death. There is no such thing as a near SIDS death. A SIDS baby cannot be revived. I have met mothers who's babies dies whilst they were awake sitting on their knees, one of which was a doctor and she noticed the second her baby stopped breathing and tried to recusitate her yet a SIDS baby cannot be revived! When I go onto have other children yes I will use a monitor for my own sanity. I think that it will allow me to get some sleep knowing that if it were to happen again I would know straight away. Nothing can compare to unexpectedly finding your baby dead after what should have been a perfectly normal night of sleep. I hope that they will soon find a cure to SIDS and I hope that they really reinforce education as it appears from forums like these that people do not understand what SIDS is and what it means. There is nothing you can do to stop SIDS, I followed all the advice to reduce the risk, my daughter does not fit into any of the risk categories yet she still died.
Everyone has their own story. Some say that they were unable to revive their baby and some say that they have been able to. These testimonies prove that none of us have the correct answer. You never know if you could be one of those lucky parents that are able to save your babies life! Why would anyone be stubborn in thinking "SIDS babies can not be resucitated"? Instead of thinking that way, I would recommend taking every single precaution for your babies safety, especially in the first year. If you dont you may regret it later. When my daughter was about a month old she suddenly went limp, stopped breathing and was unresponsive. I instantly flicked her foot several times and startled her, she then began to breathe again. Who knows what could have happened if I were not present? Nontheless GET THE MONITOR....if anything it will only help!!!
http://www.prevent-sids.org/
No one has mentioned this....I just had my third baby and just came across this. Amazing to think barely anyone knows about this....Gasses from crib mattress cause death. Simple fix : mattress wrapping with polyethylene. I just pray my one comment will save one life!!
Respectfully, there are no "near miss" SIDS deaths.  SIDS is not only not preventable, but also cannot be "corrected".  A true SIDS child not only stops breathing, but their organs shut down as well.  If your cousin survived, and it is wonderful that she did, then it was not a SIDS classification.  There are no living people who have over come SIDS.  It is a death.  
Baby monitors are not guaranteed to save a baby's life. There have been many instances where the child has died right in the arms of their parents. Then again there has been instances where babies "forget" to breath and just need a lil nudge. The monitor may offer peace of mind to the parents but does not guarantee life for the child. My little girl died at 5 months April '11 and I had done all that I could have done. I breastfed, slept her on her back, she was not exposed to smoke and I had taken infant cpr. It happened so quick, in a matter of 10 minutes. She was at the babysitters. It only takes a couple of minutes of a baby's brain to be deprived of oxygen to make them brain dead. I'm glad I did not have to make the choice of taking her off life support. I often wonder if I'd only been there to perform cpr on her would my baby be here today. I try not to let myself be consumed by guilt.
So many parents on here have lost a child. I don't pretend to begin to know the grief you must feel. I have read about vaccination induced apnea and also SIDS like symptoms where babies tiny bodies could not cope with the contents of a vaccine and the organs shut down. I know you have been through so much, but if any parents are willing to share can you let the community know, had your babies been recently vaccinated? only by gathering this information will we be able to use it.
My baby boy died of SIDS at 31/2 months last December and all advice was that it was a process that once it starts cannot be reversed- even by medical staff. Neither CPR or any level of intervention will be enough.I found my precious boy on the ground next to his bouncy chair- unresponsive and with blue lips. I immediately did CPR and the paramedics came within minutes. Nothing helped- and nothing would have prevented what happened. As stated SIDS results in a complete shut down of organs, it is not Apnoa where the baby can forget to breath. Recent research has linked SIDS with a cerebal fault. Despite vast amounts of funding that has gone into research we are no further along the journey of trully understanding SIDS. Sometimes bad things just happen- and they are outside our control. These monitors are foisted on anxious parents and they do nothing to prevent SIDS. In my view they are unhelpful and can create further stress and worry as the parent is constantly waiting for the alarm to sound....... enjoy every moment without fear.
My little boy died of SIDS and when I found him he had a bloody nose. It is in fact very common with SIDS and when I was told this found it reassuring as your mind just goes mad thinking of all the what ifs..... but your friend can be assured that the incidence of a bloody nose in babies who die from SIDS is not unusual......
SIDS is NOT instantanious. I dont know where you would read that in any proffesional literature but you may need to look a bit more into it if thats your conclusion. Babies that fall victom to SIDS die from a number of factors all associated with SIDS, such as, rolling over onto tummy and suffocating, having objects around them while they sleep that may obstruct their breathing etc, also, some babies just forget to breath, and after 3-5 minutes, the brain begins to shut down causing brain damage and/or death. This is why it is important to follow the strict safety guidelines to prevent SIDS and if followed, this reduces the risk of SIDS by half after 6 months of age. Babies found within minutes (2-3) of having no oxygen have had CPR administered straight away have managed to be resuscitated, and sadly, some babies left without oxygen for longer periods (4-7 minutes) have been resuscitated but with no brain activity due to the lack of oxygen. Thats why these baby monitors are a very good idea and even if it doesnt 100% assure the prevention of SIDS, it most defionantly lowers the risk and gives parents some waht of a waking chance to act. Its important to keep your baby around you at all times while they sleep and keep them in the same room with you when you sleep. Also a constant check on them to see if they are breathing while they sleep in their prams and car seats etc will also keep SIDS to a low risk.
I have just recently posted a comment about SIDS not being instantanious and that babies could be saved from SIDS if found in time. From personal experiences and from learning of other parents experiences, i believe in what i wrote, but after reading more of peoples comments, i have been really saddend by their losses and feel i maybe should not of commented as i think that all cases of SIDS are differant. Some may be perventable and some may not. I do know that being oxygen deprived for certain amounts of time causes brain damage and if CPR is addministered in the early minutes without oxygen, the brain and body can be saved. But SIDS can be caused by many factors, some were CPR may not be effective. My comments came from a good place and only wanted to offer hope to some  parents who worry about SIDS and have hope for these baby monitors, as i do. I am truly sorry for those who have lost their precious baby and hope that i have not upset anyone by what i commented because i know this is a very touchy subject and should not be commented on lightly. I can only imagine the grief suffered by the loss of a child and that nothing but time can ease that kind of pain, but those little blessing who have passed early in life have gone to a very good place with GOD to live in their spiritual body for eternity.
Get the monitor.  $80 is worth it,  we have one and I have to say it is very sensitive.  I am a doctor and that talk about not having a chance to bring them back is nonsense.  Humans don't die instantly,  It takes several minutes (5-10) of not breathing before serious damage occurs.  The monitor alerts you in less than 30 seconds.  Simply picking the child up would likely stimulate them enough to get them breathing.  Certainly there are rare stories, where they can't be revived, but that might be because they truly were already dead and had not taken a breath in 10+ minutes.  Some babies simply do not sleep well on their back(thus belly sleep) and in that case the monitor should help give some piece of mind.   CO-sleeping is also a significant risk factor for SIDS.  Just because you are right next to them doesn't mean you are going to wake up when they STOP breathing.   Breastfeeding helps reduce the risk, and back sleeping of course.  Cosleeping is not a good idea, it is a proven risk factor just behind belly sleeping.  But yes sometimes despite our best efforts the unthinkable happens.  I couldn't imagine having to go through it.      
The reason that most parents don't use these monitors is because they are told not to. They're not regulated by the FDA. You can find more information on my daughters memorial blog. http://***************.********.com/2013/01/baby-products-that-claim-to-prevent-sids.html
We have done research on apnea monitors and found that they actually have no effect in reducing SIDS.
B
Breastfeeding also helps reduce sids
I just bought the angelcare delux monitor at babies r us after i woke up to check on my 4mth son (first) and he wasnt breathing and didnt have a heart beat. I tried to wake him but he didnt budge....i than started.chest compressions which by the second one my lil guys heart started again and he started breathing, the drs said theres no medical issue that caused it...so we baught the monitor to give me a peace of mind to at least sleep enough to get through the day, or else i would have never slept again. A lot of ppl complain about the false alarms or battery issue....mine plugs in the wall so no battery issue and i would rather have a false alarm than loose my son and never get him back
I agree with havibg a monitor however you are classifying suffocation as SIDS....SIDS is unexplainable shut down of the body..no way to explain it. Suffocation has a clear explanation and can be reversed if found in time. To many ppl have way to many catagories for sids when in fact it should be categorized as accidental suffocation.  When sids rates are at a high nimber usually a study and research is done and the finding is a farley large amount of numbers were miscatorgorized as sids but should be accidental suffocation. If your in doubt of what sids is the dictionary has a clear defination and shows the difference between sids and suffocating
I couldn't agree more with your post and I experienced exact same thing back in March of 2010. Jonah was just a few days from 4 months.  Very well stated and I'm so extremely sorry for your loss