Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Community
Belly Sleeping?!?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to SIDS, back sleeping, bedding, breastfeeding, genetics, pacifiers, prenatal care, and prevention.

Belly Sleeping?!?

I have a 6 month old baby who used to sleep right thru the night- those days are now long gone. I have read up on the "cry it out" theroy and I am also reading the no-cry sleep solution. Last night was the first night I actually started to apply the no-cry theroy but by 3 am I had no choice but to let her cry :(
It breaks my heart... what do I do? do I stick it out for the next few days and let her cry or do I continue to have zero sleep, rocking her, feeding her thru the night- why do I feel so guilty??
One soluition that I am interested to see your view on is tummy sleeping, she sleeps like I have never seen when she is on her belly but I am terrified of SIDS...
Please Help!
First of all...don't let yourself feel guilty.  Sometimes you have to do those tough things to benefit your child.  I had 3 out of 5 that I had to have cry it out.  It's is terrible and you feel like crap...but it will pass.  That said, there are some babies that just don't stop crying.  My youngest was like that, and crying it out didn't work for him.  He was the kind of baby that would only cry himself into a frenzy the longer he was allowed to cry...and he wouldn't stop.  That boy could cry all night long.  Every night.  SO....we switched to the no-cry method for him.  Each child is different and what works for one might not work for another.  
Second...I have 5 kids and all of them have been tummy sleepers.  None of them slept well on their backs.  I think the pressure on their bellies helps them sleep better.  When my oldest was born (he's 16 1/2 now) they recommended tummy sleeping.  It wasn't until my 3rd one that they changed it to recommend side sleeping, then finally for my last two, they recommended back sleeping.  The "experts" were always changing what they recommended, and yes I know that SIDS is an issue, but so is choking on spitup!  You just have to go with your gut.  If you do have your baby sleep on her tummy, make sure that there is nothing else around her, like blankets.