Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Community
Haven't they found a cause?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to SIDS, back sleeping, bedding, breastfeeding, genetics, pacifiers, prenatal care, and prevention.

Haven't they found a cause?

My brother was 9 months old when he was taken from my father of SIDS... To this day, my father still blames himself for Brandon's death....Has anyone found what causes SIDS ? It's such a horrible thing to go through.....
No... I dont think thay have....it is such a horbul think for any parent to go through.....Im very sorry for u and ur fathers loss......God Bless...

valerie
I sometimes wonder if they will ever find a cause, also wonder how much research their actually putting into finding a cause, it's definitly every parents nightmare, I had a sister who dies of sids when she was only 7 months old, this happend 1980, I don't remember I was only about 2 years old. So you know as a mother I was so paranoid.
Isnt is caused by the brain not telling the heart to beat or body to breath??? something like that is what I remember hearing we had a close family friend loose her daughter at around 8 months dur to SIDS I was very young around 13 I think I am now 26 with 2 kids who are 4 and Allie just turned 1 in NOV and they both slept with me until they turned one I didnt sleep through the night I was constantly checking thier breathing I was consumed with panic! Seeing SIDS first hand changed me as a mother I just wanted to get them both to thier first birthday. I am sorry for your losses SIDS is a horrible thing to live through!
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I have two frinds who lost their children to SIDS and they don't seem any closer to determining the cause. In my research it felt as if they used SIDS too broadly and there could be many reasons that result in it. I hope they start doing a lot more research and can break SIDS into different types and start understanding how to prevent each type. Right now it feels as if not enought research is going in to it.
It will take a lot of work from us to get them to focus on it more.
I totally agree with hanaguchi. SIDS is not one disease. SIDS is what they call an infant death when they can not find an actual cause. It's horrible, like they have this pool they throw all babies into who have no cause of death. There has not been nearly enough research on this whatsoever. Sorry if I have offended anyone but I too lost my brother when I was 5, he was 3 months old. It is very scary, I am now pregnant and worrying about my baby girl. They say it is MUCH more common in boys than girls butttt I know it happens in both. "Research" also says after the first year there isn't much reason to worry about it happening. But my mom has had 2 friends have kids die from SIDS, one at 18 months and the other friends baby at 14 months. My mom swears on not immunizing til after the first year because my brother was perfectly fine at the doc's 2 days before, when he was immunized, then died 2 days later. Who knows if this is the reason, but I will be talking seriously with my peds doc about this!
WELL, SOME FRIENDS OF MY GRANDMOTHER HAVE TWINS AND ONE OF THEM DIED OF SIDS...THEY ARE ONLY 2 MONTHS OLD..... AS SOON AS THE OTHER ONE DIED, THEY TOOK THE OTHER ONE AND PUT IT IN THE HOSPITAL HOOKING IT UP TO ALL SORTS OF MONITORS...... IT'S SO SAD....... MY BROTHER DIED ALMOST 20 YEAR'S AGO AND MY DAD STILL BLAMES HIMSELF.....
My sister and I believe our mom blames herself. She fell so hard into drugs after losing her baby at 7 months, my sister and I were taken away from her, we truely believe thats why she became the way she did. I couldn't imagine going through what she did but at the same time you can't or shouldn't abandon your other children. We do forgive her though because we both know why she became that way. NO parent should ever have to bury a child.
my heart goeso ut to all of you who have lost a child to SIDS.  I myself lost my brother when he was only six months old, and my fiance also lost his first son to SIDS.  It has really taken a toll on him and being a father now to our 6 month old daughter.  We really have to take it one day at a time because we are both in fear that something will happen to her.  
I lost my 6 month old son to sids almost 16 years ago.  It is a horrible experience.  I have to agree that research on the matter doesn't seem to change much over the years.  They still have no solid answer.  I have three wonderful children now, they are 15, 11 and 2.  Thank God for the apnea monitors, without that i don't think I would have gotton any sleep in the first year.  My heart goes out to all who have had to experience the loss of a child for any reason.
There really hasn't been a lot of research due to funding. My daughter passed away March of 2011 and my goal is to get the word out and to raise awareness. For more information on how you can help, see her memorial page: http://***************.********.com/2013/01/help-end-sids.html