Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Community
how can i prevent SIDS?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to SIDS, back sleeping, bedding, breastfeeding, genetics, pacifiers, prenatal care, and prevention.

how can i prevent SIDS?

My baby boy Aiden is 2mts old. He was born in December and someone told me with him being a male born in winter he was more likely to die from SIDS. That scares me so bad. I didnt smoke alot while i was pregnant, but i did alittle , which i know i shouldnt have smoked at all. i wish i never would have because now i see the risks are stacked against him. Is there anything i can do to prevent SIDS???
I've heard not to overdress them at night because they think that could be a cause, and not to put them on their belly, of course. I read that pacifers at night actually reduce the occurence of SIDS...so feel better about that if he takes a paci at night. I know exactly how you feel...I used to be so paranoid when my son was that young. I heard that they have a baby monitor that goes under the sheet and will sound an alarm if it doesn't detect movement (breathing, moving, etc) for 20 seconds. Maybe that will make you feel better? The alarm sounds if the baby scoots away from the sensors, so talk about being a crazy person if you had a false alarm several times per night.

Don't worry about the smoking thing. My mom smoked until she was 5 months pregnant with me. You'll feel better as your son gets older! I know it's scary!
The highest risk for SIDS is for babies 4-6m and in the winter months. You can't undo what you've done. Do not smoke now. Not in your house, not around baby. Keep baby cool like the pp said. Breastfeed. And try not to worry too much.
Smoking have a minor roll In SIDS, my Sister ask The doctor About it when she lost her baby, And She said smoking while pregnant plays a minor roll in SIDS..
I feel sorry for the parents who lost their babies.  I was very confused when I was giving birth in this strange country.  I heard SIDS and I asked an Asian nurse (same country where we're borned) what is that and how was it happened?  Why I didn't hear that in our country?  

She told me that most of the investigations in UK of SIDS found the glucose level very low.  Well, in our borned country, EVERY mother feed the baby with glucose and honey as a suppliment.  I went home also bought a tin of glucose and a jar of honey to feed my daughter.  A home care nurse came, she threw away all those things and scolded me.  I was thinking what's wrong?  I was very upset.  I took my baby back to the country that I was borned.  As soon as we arrived, she got her suppliments back.  Honestly, the Asian mother didn't smoke that much as Western mum but I think the Asian father is smoking  inside the house that double the numbers than Western dad.

I think I would like to share this information to you all.  Hopefully next time you can save a life.
SIDS is NOT preventable...it is not a disease...SIDS is what they label an infant that has died and the autopsy cannot determine a cause of death. All those things named just REDUCE THE RISK of SIDS not prevent it. Many families have done it all and still ended up with this label on one of their children.
Number One: Never worry about things that haven't happened.

As far as protecting your baby, never sleep him on his stomach. Many crib deaths have to do with smothering. I used to sleep my babies on their sides, not on their backs. I did this in case they upchucked. In the side position their mouths would clear naturally and they would not choke. There is a trick to positioning them this way and has to do with folding one leg over the other. Breastfeed. They less likely to have stomach upsets if you do.

Some infants die in their cribs for unknown reasons. There is no point dwelling on the possibility that your child will be one of them, and it is extremely unlikely anyway.  There are comments on this blog about smoking in the house resulting in crib death. There is no hard evidence to support this. Enjoy your baby.