Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Community
turning blue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to SIDS, back sleeping, bedding, breastfeeding, genetics, pacifiers, prenatal care, and prevention.

turning blue

does anyone know if infants that die of sids turn blue?  i read somewhere that sids deaths do not turn blue, if they are blue than they died of asphixiation.  i really need to know  thank you
Avatar n tn
My Daughter did not turn blue. When We realized she wasnt breathing she looked normal. no discoloration at all
babys that die of SIDS dont turn blue, i do believe they only change a bluish color is when they are dead for a while. when my niece passed away from SIDS, she was not blue.
They actually turn an ashy grey color. I used to work in a NICU when they can't breath their lips can turn blue though.
My son was gray when he was being held and we noticed that he had stopped breathing. I believe that when someone turns blue it is a sign that their blood has been deoxygenated for some time meaning that the oxygenated blood is completely gone which would happen after a period of time with no breathing. It is merely a sign of death.