Support for Family Members and Friends of Addicts User Group
I need help, and opinions.. boyfriend addicted to opiates.
About This Group:

This forum is for people who are trying to help family members or friends with their addiction problems. It is a way to share experiences and to exchange information related to your experiences with helping an addict in their recovery efforts. It is also a place for people with addiction (alcohol, drugs etc.) issues to ask for advice and help.

Founded by Tab57 on July 17, 2010
33 members

I've been in a relationship with my boyfriend for two years now. We've lived together for one. I knew he had struggled with addition previously when he was younger, but thought he was staying clean and sober. About 8-9 months ago, he confided in me that he had relapsed and was back to snorting pills. I told him to go back to live with his aunt for a few days while deciding what I wanted to do. When he agreed to stay clean, I allowed him to come home. From what I've seen, he's been clean.. but, while he was at work this evening he got an email from someone whom he'd asked if they had any oxy, heroin, or roxies. I confronted him VIA text message just expressing I was upset, thinking he had been doing good these past few months. We just moved into our second apartment after a rough first year (financially) and I just wonder if this is all a waste...

Of course I love the kid, but hell, I'm nineteen years old. There's a million boys out there for me.. I even started talking to one on and off.. I just don't know if staying with him is worth it. Do opiate addicts ever get clean? I know my best friend has watched her father struggle since her birth twenty years ago... Every time I suggest he get professional help he argues with me, saying it doesn't do anything, or he can't afford it. I know it's mostly him not admitting he's that bad.. or wanting to quit maybe, but if I could get him to go, is there any hope?

I have this idea in my head that once he grows up a little, he'll be better.. Or if he could get a steady, well paying job and maybe start college, he'd be busy enough.. Maybe it's all wishful thinking, I don't know. I'm so tired of wondering "what if" constantly. My family hates him for his habits, so I can't talk to them about it..

Any comments, concerns, ideas, or opinions are greatly appreciated.
tgtiffany is tired Comment
11/13
ROSYouralright commented on photo
11/13
ROSYouralright commented on photo
11/13