Support for Family Members and Friends of Addicts User Group
What is rock bottom?
About This Group:

This forum is for people who are trying to help family members or friends with their addiction problems. It is a way to share experiences and to exchange information related to your experiences with helping an addict in their recovery efforts. It is also a place for people with addiction (alcohol, drugs etc.) issues to ask for advice and help.

Founded by Tab57 on July 17, 2010
33 members

What is rock bottom?

Sounds simple enough but not really.
What I mean is that my loved one is running the streets of a major city. He is in a different area every few days.
I don't know where he sleeps. He does not appear to be showering or eating.
His drug is crack.
He is down about as low as he can go. Everyone has given up on him.
He has no real friends, just whomever he is using with that night.
I will no longer give him money or let him stay with me. I love him and listen to him and offer to help but that is as far as I can go.
He has spent years in prison so that does not appear to be a deterrent.
And I wonder how he gets the money for the crack. Is he tricking?
Sexual promiscuity has been an ongoing issue.
How low is low?
This seems like rock bottom but it is not making him stop.
What will?
Welcome to this forum. He willl have to hit bottom in order to want help. Only he knows where rock bottom is.

Please live for yourself as he is way down the wrong road. Crack is a very bad deal. Help is avialable for you through NarAnon meetings. I encourage you to attend.

Best of luck to you.
Hi i am sara, a recovering addict/alcoholic.  We use rock bottom alot but many of our bottoms have trap doors.  You are doing the right thing by not enabling him.  I know this hurts to do but very vital to an addict.  You cant make things right for us when we are actively using as we will use you in every way possible.  Our first love is our drug and we will do whatever it takes to get it.  I wish i had the magic answer but there is none.  Not until he is ready to finally stop this insanity.  All you can do is let him know you will be there to support his recovery, not his addiction.  I would highly recommend you getting involved in Naranon or Alanon.  You are also affected by this.  I wish you well and keep us posted on how it is going.       sara
im a 43yr old woman who had a $300/dy heroin habit from 15yrs old-22yrs old.ive done it all-stole,robbed,prostitution,dancing,dominance,running a house,dealing drugs,sleeping on subway in nyc-EVERYTHING(even things i cant put in writing)n guess what-there IS no rock-bottom.as bad as u get it gets worse n worse.eventually,something in u clicks.it didnt happen after id been arrested 4 murder or 4 being arrested 46 times or 4 spending time in jail or after escaping not 1 but 2 serial killers(1 was joel rifkin,1 was never found-only the bodies he left behind).at some point u wont b able 2 take it anymore.people think when ur on drugs youre having a great time-well,maybe 4 the first few months-its all downhill from there.the only thing u can do is b there when they finally do make a decision 2 quit-n it mat take 20 decisions til the 21st 1 works.good luck.its all about time.
tgtiffany is tired Comment
11/13
ROSYouralright commented on photo
11/13
ROSYouralright commented on photo
11/13