Supraventricular tachycardia User Group
What does svt feel like?
About This Group:

Symptoms of Supreventricular Tachycardia also know as SVT can come on suddenly and can go away without treatment. Episodes of SVT are caused for a reason other than stress, exercise or emotion. They can last a few minutes or as long as 1 or 2 days, sometimes continuing until treated. The rapid beating of the heart during SVT can make the heart a less effective pump so that the cardiac output is decreased and the blood pressure drops. The following symptoms are typical with a rapid pulse of 150–251 beats per minute: Pounding chest Shortness of breath Chest pain Rapid breathing Dizziness Loss of consciousness (in serious cases) Numbness of various body parts If you have SVT this group is for you.

Founded by anxietygad on March 15, 2010
62 members

What does svt feel like?

Long story short. I was diagonsed in 2008 with svt. I have had about 5 what i call "strong" episodes. Each time it has regulated by me doing the manuvers that my dr showed me. Even though I was diagnosed with svt I feel like I have something more. It happens all of a sudden. My heart dont feel like its beating, it feels more like it cant beat, like its twitching or vibrating. Then after that it goes into regular but very fast beats which i assume is then svt. Does any else experience this with svt? Like skipping and palpatations? Svt has limited my life. I quit college because by the time I walked to class my heart was flying and I was about to pass out. That is more like svt right? Does anyone else experience svt all of a sudden? I cant help but to shake the feeling that I have something more than svt. Please help me understand this. Also I take carvedilol for svt which seems to help. I looked it up online and it says it is used to treat heart failure. Should i get a second opinion?
I've had svt for over 20 years and I've been to many doctors. What you're describing sounds like svt. Mine alwasy starts with what feels like my heart flops around a few times and then it just starts racing fast, 240 bpm that last time. I'm learning to really listen to my body. I stay away from too much caffeine, (diet dr. pepper once in a while is all), msg, fish oil, or any other kind of stimulant. Stress also triggers mine.  Also I eat bananas for the patassium and take a magnesium supplement. They seem to make a difference.

What kind of doctor did you see? I didn't get definite answers until I saw an electrophysiologist a few months ago. He asked why I hadn't been referred to him before because he said my svt (avnrt) can be fixed. I'm planning on have an ablation to fix the problem early this summer. If you're not seeing an ep doctor, I would certainly try to do so. This electrical problem is what they specialize in.

Good luck!
merileegal

Yes, your symptoms do sound like typical SVT.   My electropysiologist (EP-whom you really DO need to see for this condition) said that SVT episodes start with a skipped, or premature beat...so that is probably what you feel first before it goes into the actual heart racing.  
Sorry you have to deal with this!   Don't feel helpless!  I had an ablation 3 weeks ago, am back running, excercising and feeling (almost) normal......WITHOUT the fear of SVT!!!   I never did try beta blockers because the side effects sounded horrendous.  who wants to be tired all the time???    
Good luck to you!
yea same you feel as if you are going to literally die it's the worst feeling ever
jdcripe14 joined this group
Welcome them!
Nov 20
kbug1013 Hello Everyone!!!! Comment
Aug 27
once in a lifetime experience
Aug 27 by kbug1013