Surgery Expert Forum
Baby born without femurs and has club feet

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: Abdomen, Breast, Chest, Complications, Extremities, Head and Neck, Hematology, Incisions, Infections, Laparoscopy, Lungs and Respiratory Tract, OBGYN, Oncology, Post Operative Management, Pre Operative Issues, Radiology Renal, Skin and Wounds, Sutures, Staples and Stitches Urology, and Vessels.

Hi, I just gave birth one month ago to a baby girl. She was born with just a speck of a femur in each leg. Her father and I are making an appointment to Shriner's hospital in Tampa. But I was just wondering what the possibilities are when it comes to correction. How young would the surgeries start? how many might she have over time?

Also, shouldn't something like this have been seen on an ultrasound? She had 4.

Thank you,
     Jennifer
Baby may have focal femoral deficiency syndrome, but what you really need is a comprehensive evaluation and consultation with pediatric orthopedics. There are bone lengthening procedures available. If the baby has other abnormalities detected at time of consultation, then a clinical genetics evaluation may be suggested. As far as the prenatal ultrasounds go, hard to say, but if the femurs are VERY shortened, that would be something that should be detectable on ultrasound, so may be worth your while to meet with the people that did the ultrasounds to go over the findings of each of the four evaluations. The orthopedic surgeons can give you information on surgeries and management options after they evaluate the baby. Cannot really say until you and they know what they are dealing with.