Surgery Expert Forum
Bad knee results in bad hip..... ?

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: Abdomen, Breast, Chest, Complications, Extremities, Head and Neck, Hematology, Incisions, Infections, Laparoscopy, Lungs and Respiratory Tract, OBGYN, Oncology, Post Operative Management, Pre Operative Issues, Radiology Renal, Skin and Wounds, Sutures, Staples and Stitches Urology, and Vessels.

Bad knee results in bad hip..... ?

Hi my name is Lee i am 26, from Australia. I came on here because i had a car accident about 6 years ago and my knee has had a fairly large hole put in the cartilage, I just read the scans then it says a 3cm lesion in craniocaudal dimensions. I have the MRIs at my reach if need be.

Since then accident i have used it as much as i could, mainly because i had alot of problems at the time, took alot of drugs and in reality couldn't settle to realise the full impact that my knee had done. Now i have settled abit i have learnt alot of new things and have learnt that because i was left handed i favoured that side alot and never took a break and due to family problems got into drugs and then had a car accident, and ended up injuring my knee. As a consequence i was immobile and too stuffed from the drugs to realise (to be able to settle) that i had to use my right side, and have realsied i  should be using both sides of my body (trying things the right way). I kept trying to surf ride bikes, in the end gave everything up except golf. I walk the course everyday, getting better but it is really hard to walk. I can't walk properly I try and walk and because my knee is stuffed these weight doesn't hold in my leg and as a consequence , im not exactly sure but i think the femur rotates outward and my hip and pelvis kick out. If i use it then rest it gets sore, and if i move it it feels like it cracks. This is the main thing iam worried about, the cracking. I have tested it and it feels like its just the tendons along side the bone and every time i move the leg the tendons move either side of the bone but sometimes it feels like a crack in the hip.

So iam wondering if you think the continuous weight going to the hip the way i described has caused incorrect/uneven wear and in the hip and a problem with my hip?  It even feels like my hip pops out.
Dear Friend,
He best way for you is do get a diagnostic arthroscopy, post which the treatment can be decided.
3 cm lesions can be treated via cartilage transplantation, augmentation, etc, provided the rest of the cartilage is fine.
Hence am insisting for diagnostic arthroscopy, which would involve a real time visualization of the condition of the surrounding cartilage, following which it would be real easy to look for the treatment.
Please discuss, if you want more specific opinion,.
Regards
Sorry should have put the ? instead of the . as it is a question