Surgery Expert Forum
Drainage tube after removal of the gallbladder

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: Abdomen, Breast, Chest, Complications, Extremities, Head and Neck, Hematology, Incisions, Infections, Laparoscopy, Lungs and Respiratory Tract, OBGYN, Oncology, Post Operative Management, Pre Operative Issues, Radiology Renal, Skin and Wounds, Sutures, Staples and Stitches Urology, and Vessels.

Hi, I'm just curious of the liquid that comes out of the drainage tube attached on my mom after her surgery(removal of the gallbladder). It's been for weeks now and the doctor advised not to take it off yet. Is that a normal procedure after the surgery?
depends on whether surgery was for infected gallbladder
then very common
No. Tubes are not placed after gall bladder surgery (cholecystectomy) normally, in very difficult case we may place a drain but only for a day or 2. Can u tell me y this surgery was done? (gall stone or some other problem?). What is this tube (Drain or T- tube? or is it PTC?), colour of fluid (is it green?). But in none of condition tube is places for weeks!! I think you should consult your doctor to know the reason for leaving the tube for such a long duration.
Best wishes
The whole situation is this. My mom(61y.o.) had severe pain on the upper right side of her stomach during and after meals. We went to the doctor and they did all the tests, then concluded that her gallbladder and the ducts might be blocked. ( bec. She turned yellow) the gallbladder should be extracted.
After the surgery the doctor found out the reason why the gallbladder was blocked, it's because there is a cyst in her pancreas that was enveloping the ducts and causing them blockage.... They removed the gallbladder anyway and the pain is gone. Then they put the drainage tube... There were two tubes before, one for her urine , but they removed that already...
Now the liquid on the other tube before was of greenish with a tint of red. Now it turns dark yellowish with a strong smell... I don't know but we are going back to the doctor this week for follow up.
Thanks for the comments . Really helpful...

Mai