Surgery Expert Forum
Gallbladder

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: Abdomen, Breast, Chest, Complications, Extremities, Head and Neck, Hematology, Incisions, Infections, Laparoscopy, Lungs and Respiratory Tract, OBGYN, Oncology, Post Operative Management, Pre Operative Issues, Radiology Renal, Skin and Wounds, Sutures, Staples and Stitches Urology, and Vessels.

Gallbladder

I have been having right upper quadrant pain that radiates to inbetween my shoulder blades and horrible chest pressure after eating. Dr. sent me for an ultrasound official results not back yet the tech said she did not think she saw any stones.  My question is could it still be the gallbladder and could the ultrasound have missed something.
Also I have an oval shaped lump about the size of a walnut on my lower left rib cage which is movable should I be concerned about this?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time.
Agree with Dr T
Your history is very suggestive of Gall bladder pathology, infact your lump also seems like gall bladder lump to me (mucocele). Get an ultrasound done it is very useful in Gall bladder pathology in case it is negative then you can think about CT scan (CT scan is less sensitive for gall stones than Ultrasound but more helpful in ruling out other causes like pancreas etc.
best wishes
Thank you for your reply.  I did have an ultrasound but have not gotten the results yet although the tech said she did not see any Gall stones. Would a Gall bladder lump (mucocele) be present on the left side?
No .. I am sorry, I missed "left" part from your note; Gall bladder pain is mainly on the right side (very rarely going to left) but its lump/ mucocele is always on the right side. Your lump can be spleen/ kidney or from GUT (if it is deeper i mean not just under the skin, if it very superficial then probably it is a fat lump- lipoma which is harmless)
Best wishes
Thank you very much for your time.  I have a follow up apt. to find out ultrasound & lab results.  Pain on right side lump on left, strange.

Thanks again
Thank you for your comment.  I just had a hida scan done as I am still having URQ pain that radiates in between my shoulders and a lot of substernal chest pressure.  So now I am just waiting for the results of the hida scan.  My question is that if the hida scan is positive is there as much success with gallbladder removal than if a person has stones.

As far as the lump on the left side I think that it is probably just a fatty tumor (lipoma). If I lie down it is on the botttom of the rib cage.  When I stand it goes under the rib cage. I realize that this is not at all related to any of my symptoms on the right side just an incidental finding.  

Thank you for your time and any input on this matter