Surgery Expert Forum
Had Gall Bladder removed twice!

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: Abdomen, Breast, Chest, Complications, Extremities, Head and Neck, Hematology, Incisions, Infections, Laparoscopy, Lungs and Respiratory Tract, OBGYN, Oncology, Post Operative Management, Pre Operative Issues, Radiology Renal, Skin and Wounds, Sutures, Staples and Stitches Urology, and Vessels.

Had Gall Bladder removed twice!

My husband, 53 years old, had his gall bladder removed (open cholecystectomy) in 1996.  After 9 days  in the hospital he was released.  My husband never experienced full recovery.  Symptoms continued through the years with episodes of moderate to severe pain.   He changed his eating habits, became a vegetarian, and this seemed to bring periods of relief.  After several visits to our general practioner, gastroenterologist, tests, cat scans, MRI's,  and various trips to the  ER;  it was concluded that my husband had gall stones and needed his gall bladder removed!  He had his gall bladder removed (again) in 2005, requiring another opened cholecystectomy!  Doctors seem to have no explanation for this and the last surgeon is certain he removed my husband's gall bladder.  I must say, my husbands experience the second time around was incredible.  He required practically no pain medication, was walking the following day  and was released after from the hospital the 2nd day.  My husband is healthy and has experienced no pain since 2005.  But, we will forever be baffled by the experience and wonder what happened with the first surgery in 1996!  Thank you!    Baffled in New York.
sometimes only part of the Gbladder can be removed - I wonder if the surgery was performed open because of dense scar tissue, inflammation, infection etc
if so then first operation appears appropriate
need for second operation rare but logical if remnant became inflamed or infected
Thank you so very much for your comment.  Both surgeries were performed opened.    The first doctor assured us she removed all of my husbands' Gbladder...  I honestly thought my husband was just having 'phantom' pains when his symptoms returned after the first surgery.  I don't know... I just feel if the doctor that conducted the first surgery would have told us she had partially removed the Gbladder leaving a remnant, we would have known what to expect, avoiding needless tests and worse, mental anguish.

Again, Thank You for taking the time to respond.  Respectfully, Elim  :)