Surgery Expert Forum
My baby girl has gastroschisis
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: Abdomen, Breast, Chest, Complications, Extremities, Head and Neck, Hematology, Incisions, Infections, Laparoscopy, Lungs and Respiratory Tract, OBGYN, Oncology, Post Operative Management, Pre Operative Issues, Radiology Renal, Skin and Wounds, Sutures, Staples and Stitches Urology, and Vessels.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

My baby girl has gastroschisis

i am 21wks pregnant and my baby girl has gastroschisis. i was wondering if there was anything i could do now to stabilize it or even make it better?
Related Discussions
1007652_tn?1327452428
Gastroschisis is a developmental abnormality of the abdominal wall that occurred during early development. There is no fetal therapy at present for this problem. Present recommendations are for good high risk prenatal care (keep all of your appointments), eliminate factors that might affect growth (smoking), and monitoring of the baby's growth, development and appearance of the gastroschisis with ultrasound. We usually perform ultrasound evaluations at 24 and 28 weeks. If growth and amniotic fluid levels are normal, and there are no concerning findings about the status of the herniated bowel in the gastroschisis, then we have patients return at 32 weeks to begin more intensive surveillence with twice weekly biophysical and non-stress testing and fetal growth assessments every 3 weeks. Fetuses with gastroschisis are at increased risk for intra uterine fetal loss (stillbirth) which is why we start this twice weekly testing early. If the fetus is small for age and has low amniotic fluid volume at the 28 week evaluation, then it is at even higher risk and we begin twice weekly testing at that time. Close monitoring of the gastroschisis and fetal well-being is essential for achieving the best outcome in these pregancies.
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979