Surgery Expert Forum
Numbness after anesthesia

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: Abdomen, Breast, Chest, Complications, Extremities, Head and Neck, Hematology, Incisions, Infections, Laparoscopy, Lungs and Respiratory Tract, OBGYN, Oncology, Post Operative Management, Pre Operative Issues, Radiology Renal, Skin and Wounds, Sutures, Staples and Stitches Urology, and Vessels.

Numbness after anesthesia

I had an out-patient procedure to remove a fatty tumor from forehead. It has been 3 weeks since surgey and the scar remains numb as well as  a portion of my forehead. Will the numbness disappear soon?

Dear mcdee708,

During any surgery, while incising along with the tissues other structures such as blood vessels and nerves coming in the line of incision are also injured. Nerve conduction impairment may produce numbness and neurological symptoms.

The symptoms are temporary and recovery occurs in some time. The time of recovery varies among different individuals, the type of incision, the concentration of nerve fibers injured and many more factors .

Generally recovery of sensation may take six weeks or more. Use of Vitamin B 12 supplement aids nerve healing and recovery. Hence Vitamin B 12 supplements - one tablet a day use may benefit you.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr.Rajinder Bajoria.
Thanks for your explanation concerning the numbness in my forehead. You confirmed the information about my condition that I suspected, but needed an expert to confirm. The surgeon explained to me that the tumor was beneath small muscles in my forehead and she had to pry deeper to ensure she removed all the tumor. I am very healthy for age 77, and I take daily nutrients including the B-complex vitamins.

mcdee708

Dear mcdee708,

Nice to hear from you again.

Damage or injury to some extent do occur during surgery. Recovery depends on many factors. As you are already taking B-Complex nutrients, for early recovery, you can try them in slightly higher doses. Methylcobalamine also helps in speedy recovery of nerve sensation.

Deeper dissection causes slightly more nerve injury, so recovery may take longer time.

So don't worry. It will improve over a period.

Wish you speedy and complete recovery at the earliest.

Hope that this information helps.

Best Regards,
Dr.Rajinder Bajoria.