Surgery Expert Forum
Partial Knee Replacement After Meniscectomy To Prevent Bone Damage ?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: Abdomen, Breast, Chest, Complications, Extremities, Head and Neck, Hematology, Incisions, Infections, Laparoscopy, Lungs and Respiratory Tract, OBGYN, Oncology, Post Operative Management, Pre Operative Issues, Radiology Renal, Skin and Wounds, Sutures, Staples and Stitches Urology, and Vessels.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Partial Knee Replacement After Meniscectomy To Prevent Bone Damage ?

I am a 61 year old male who had a meniscectomy in october of last year on the posterior horn of my right medial meniscus. There were minimal signs of inflammation or arthritis present. Both the tibia and femur contact/ bearing surfaces were fine.
       As a powerlifter for twenty years plus, I believe I simply wore the cartilage down (plus age).
       I am not overweight (150 lbs) and am in good physical shape.
      As such, the surgeon did not believe I would have any need of joint replacement surgery for a couple of years.
      However, it is now august and  I am having some pain ....... particularly after taking an hour's walk (which I do frequently for exercise).
      I, of course, now have bone against bone contact in the joint.
      Somehow, it doesn't make sense to me to continue waiting for the bone surfaces to wear down ....... creating damage to the bones themselves and perhaps encouraging arthritis.
     Wouldn't it make more sense to do a partial knee replacement now in order to prevent this process (prophylaxis/prevention) or do the risks or consequences of the surgery make non-replacement currently the lesser of two evils?  
     Thanks,

Richard