Surgery Expert Forum
knee arthroscopy

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: Abdomen, Breast, Chest, Complications, Extremities, Head and Neck, Hematology, Incisions, Infections, Laparoscopy, Lungs and Respiratory Tract, OBGYN, Oncology, Post Operative Management, Pre Operative Issues, Radiology Renal, Skin and Wounds, Sutures, Staples and Stitches Urology, and Vessels.

knee arthroscopy

I would like to ask an expert if he/she would recommend/perform knee arthroscopy on me based on the following information. I have had chronic knee pain for the last 16 or so months. My knees lock up and "pop" back out often and it is painful. An MRI of my left knee in June 2010 showed no evidence of a meniscal tear, which the doctor, upon examining it was quite certain was the case. The MRI just showed some inflammation. I got my first cortisone shot the same day. Since then the "lock and pop" and pain has traveled to my right knee. Right before Thanksgiving 2010 I received another cortisone shot in my left knee and one in my right knee. Fast forward to May 2011. I went to see a doctor that works at the same clinic I work at. I got two shots in each knee during separate appointments. He also ordered an MRI of my right knee and wouldn't order an MRI of my left knee even though I asked. The results of that MRI showed a possible 50% ACL tear along with "water on the knee." He referred me to an orthopedic clinic and I still have yet to make the appointment. I want arthroscopy on my right knee and another MRI on my left knee. My knee pain is at it's worst at night and I can honestly without question say that there are many nights where my knee pain is at a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10. What's your opinion?
Dear Friend,
If the MRI is showing 50% ACL team then we can consider it to be correct, considering the symptoms you are facing presently. I am a great believer in "Diagnostic Arthroscopy" procedure as it helps to know, even the minute joint details. Also the procedure is a day-care procedure hence admission is for observation purpose only.
Persons with knee pain and having less than 30 years of age should treat the knee pain problem with much required care as, aggravation of the pain, can later result into arthritis of the joint.
Already you have started witht he steroid injections, so it's better to have a diagnostic arthroscopy planned. Future surgery/treatment shall depend upon the arthroscopy findings.
For the present pain, request you to have analgesics like paracetamol(500 mg) twice to thrice daily with adequate water, if the pain is more. Also restrict your walking activities, so as to give relaxation to the joint and the muscles and ligaments.
Regards.

Feel free to discuss more.
Hello thanks for your opinion! Now I am afraid that I have made things worse. I tripped and landed hard on my knees on the carpet on Friday, July 29th. On impact I thought I for sure did some really bad damage on both knees, but especially on my left knee. I was at a cabin for the wknd with my fiance and his parents, so I tried to play down the injury and "walk it off." During the night I woke up to extraordinarily bad pain in my left knee and when I got up in the morning it hadn't subsided. Maybe it will end up being a mistake, but I didn't insist on seeking medical treatment b/c I didn't want to put a damper on everyone's vacation. By Sunday, the pain had decreased. However then my right knee started acting up. It is still scraped, swollen, and painful. I'm scared that I may have done some damage so I plan on going to urgent care when we get home later. Any comments and/or advice?