Surgery Expert Forum
my baby has gastroschisis

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: Abdomen, Breast, Chest, Complications, Extremities, Head and Neck, Hematology, Incisions, Infections, Laparoscopy, Lungs and Respiratory Tract, OBGYN, Oncology, Post Operative Management, Pre Operative Issues, Radiology Renal, Skin and Wounds, Sutures, Staples and Stitches Urology, and Vessels.

my baby has gastroschisis

i am 36 weeks pregnant, and have had no complication with my pregnancy, at 20 weeks my dr. discovered that my baby has gastroschisis. i would like to know what to the delivery is going to be like and what to expect afterwards?
Most babies with gastroschisis delivery vaginally, but must be watched VERY carefully during labor with fetal heart rated monitoring as some do not tolerate contractions during labor and need to be delivered by cesarean section before they become severely stressed that could make their management more complicated after delivery. You should deliver your baby at a hospital with a level 3 NICU and on-site pediatric surgical services. When the baby is born, a large amount of its bowel will be outside the abdomen and can be significantly dilated which some patients find very scarey. The bowel will be cleaned and placed into a plastic bag to protect it until transfer to the NICU. There, surgeons will usually place it into a clear plastic tube that is elevated above the babies abdomen to allow the swelling and edema to go down. Then the bowel is slowly and gently pushed back into the abdomen after which the abdominal defect is repaired. I some cases, the bowel is not dilated or swollen and the surgeons can close it directly within 24 hours of life. Baby's stay in the hospital can range from several weeks to several months depending on complications that can occur after birth.